Is there a new maker in development?

Discussion in 'Useful Development Tools' started by LightofthedimVXA, Jul 20, 2012.

1. LightofthedimVXA

LightofthedimVXA Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I've seen off-the-wall mentions of what seems like a new RPG Maker title after Ace, but I haven't seen it confirmed for sure. Does anyone know if there is another one on the way?

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Maybe RPG Maker Vx Ace turbo Championship Alpha Special Limited Platinum Hardcore Overhyped Flashy Dubstep Anniversary Edition Coming in 2015...but I guess it will probably and hopefully be a Tactics Maker.

3. hyde9318

hyde9318 RMC Coordinator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My guess is that they will release a sequel to Indie Game Maker. IGM was released after VX, it would only make sense IGM2 would release after VXA. But I REALLY doubt we will see another RM for at least three years, five years tops.

4. Nemoide

Nemoide Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    It's probably safe to assume that there's a new one in development, but it's probably a few years away from being released.

5. Espon

Espon Lazy Creator Veteran

First Language:
    Gibberish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I wouldn't expect anything in the immediate future, VX Ace is still relatively new. I'm hoping for a bug fix patch to come out some time though to fix many of the annoying client-based errors such as improperly showing enemy health conditions or missing animation flipping labels.

6. AlaiaVee

AlaiaVee Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Development teams generally don't sit stagnant. Sure, they probably had a big release party and took some well needed vacation after ACE was released. But from my experience, once you've had a GA release like this you start shifting resources towards the next release. I'd say right now they probably have some engineers dedicated to maintenance of the current software and then the bulk of their engineering team are already working on their next big projects. As a matter of fact, I just pulled this from Enterbrain's website:

So there you go, a generic statement saying they are working on stuff all the time without any detail as to what they are working on. If they are working on another maker release, you probably won't know anything about it until they are nearing the beta phase, which could be years away.

7. hyde9318

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Som does anyone else think that the next release has a high possibility of being IGM2? I am just thinking that that may be their best possible course of action at this point. And I must say, if IGM gets any more powerful, it will take the market by storm.

8. Fomar0153

Fomar0153 All wrapped up for winter. Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Maybe but it would have to be a lot less confusing and convoluted to use. In truth I don't think we will be seeing another IGM and I doubt we'll see another rpg maker until late 2014/5 as they're usually around 3 years apart.

9. hyde9318

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hmm, I seemed to find IGM rather easy, but I also used Game Maker 7 and 8 for quite a while as well.

10. antega34

antega34 Anthony Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Maybe its just a resource pack, or a mobile version because of that survey from a while back. Or even the English release of RPG Maker 2003 (or 200 idk) since there was a topic about it. I think its still too early for them to release a new RPG maker, at least thats what i think.

11. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'd be interested in taking a look at an IGM2. I was really excited about IGM, and found it a huge let-down because it was so complicated and painfully slow to set things up. I'd definitely take a look at it again if they made it as easy to use as RM.

12. Tsukihime

Tsukihime Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Would like to see an upgraded SRPG maker but those types of games probably aren't as popular anymore.

13. VideoWizard

VideoWizard Dragon Kingdoms Series producer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I suppose we'll either see Indie Game Maker 2, RPG Maker 2003 + 10, or RPG Maker DS Plus. I don't expect the next RPG Maker after VX Ace until late 2015 in Japan, released in North America and elsewhere early 2016. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a console-based release in that time period, as well.

Of course, I could be totally off-base.

14. UindoOokami

UindoOokami Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I think a 3D maker like RPG Maker 2 or 3 for PC would be great. but a IGM2 would be nice. i downloaded the trial for IGM and couldn't figure it out.

thejamesmcornett likes this.
  15. schM0ggi

schM0ggi Villager Member

First Language:
    German
    I greatly hope EB didn't forget the big RPG Maker XP fan- and userbase! Seriously, it makes me sad seeing a new Maker Software coming out, Version for Version, but nothing comparable to the imo mighty XP! Ofcourse, there is RGSS 2/3, there are new Scripting Features and there is better Performance but the whole working process... the "Make" in the Title "RPG Maker" is so much better than in any other Maker Version out there like VX or ACE. Especially i love the Mapping capabilities (real Tilebased and Layers) that no other Maker offer in that combination. I would just die for a a RPG Maker XP 2 or some sort, the same capabilites you have with XP but at the same time with updated rgss/ruby for new features and better performance AND maybe further advancements like 4-5 Layers instead of 3 for the mapping. That would be a dream, much People want smth. like that... why EB is not developing this!? The VX Guys got their new ACE, so why the XP People can't get their new XP?

And for the sake of God... please implement Hardware accelaration finally! For so many Years the RPG Maker is just sitting on the dayum CPU (and that is the bottleneck by the way regarding performance), people have Graphic Cards so please use them!

greetz

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2012
  16. amerk

amerk Veteran Member

First Language:
    English
    I'm guessing that not enough people really liked XP so much as XP's resources, which can be easily ported into VX or Ace. I'm sure there's a large fanbase for XP, but EB goes where the money is, which generally happens to be their Japan audience, and they seem more keen on styles like RM2K, VX, and Ace. Even 2K3 was more or less dropped over there in favor of updating the frontview RM2K system. Unless there's a huge demand for a return to XP, I just don't see it happening.

17. Lord Valdyr

Lord Valdyr Team BlackHawk Dev Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Remember they were talking about something that could possibly convert vx/ace projects to xna format and phone format.

18. HamPants

HamPants Ayyy! Member

First Language:
    English
    If I had to guess, I'd say that there's ALWAYS a new maker in development. Multiple, maybe. Eventually they get pruned down to two or three, the best compatible planned features of each get pressed into each other, and bam! We have a maker in a few years. Kind of like console generations.