Is there a Plugin or Script Edit to Edit Vehicle Speed?

Nico Kaneo

Newb
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hello. I'm looking to adjust the default player and vehicle speed in my game. I can change the player speed with a movement event, but as soon as the player enters a vehicle, the speed skyrockets, even after getting off the vehicle. How can I change this? Thanks.

caethyril

^_^
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
By default the code sets the player's speed to 4 on exiting any vehicle, and the vehicle speeds themselves are 4 (boat), 5 (ship), and 6 (airship). Also, for some strange reason, the player speed gets reset to 4 on exiting a vehicle. :kaoswt2:

Here's a little plugin I just wrote to let you define custom speeds for each vehicle type. It'll also remember the player speed when they board a vehicle and reapply it when they disembark:
I did a few quick tests and it seemed OK, but let me know if you have any problems with it~ :kaothx:

(Will probably merge it into a larger plugin at some point, that's why it looks kinda barebones.)

Nico Kaneo

Newb
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
By default the code sets the player's speed to 4 on exiting any vehicle, and the vehicle speeds themselves are 4 (boat), 5 (ship), and 6 (airship). Also, for some strange reason, the player speed gets reset to 4 on exiting a vehicle. :kaoswt2:

Here's a little plugin I just wrote to let you define custom speeds for each vehicle type. It'll also remember the player speed when they board a vehicle and reapply it when they disembark:
I did a few quick tests and it seemed OK, but let me know if you have any problems with it~ :kaothx:

(Will probably merge it into a larger plugin at some point, that's why it looks kinda barebones.)
Just tested it. Thank you for the plugin, but it doesn't work as intended. Upon entering a vehicle the first time, the speed is (I think) set at the speed you define it as in the plugin settings. However, after exiting and re-entering the vehicle, the speed is back to its default.

caethyril

^_^
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Just tested it. Thank you for the plugin, but it doesn't work as intended. Upon entering a vehicle the first time, the speed is (I think) set at the speed you define it as in the plugin settings. However, after exiting and re-entering the vehicle, the speed is back to its default.
:kaohi: By "default" here, you mean the speed it goes at without the plugin? I just tested again and can't seem to reproduce that behaviour. Some things to check:
  1. Are you testing from a new game? If not, the vehicle speeds may be being loaded from the save.
  2. Have you renamed the plugin file? If so, the parameter values will not be recognised.
  3. Are you using any other plugins? If so, could you list (or screenshot) the plugins you're using, in the order they appear in the Plugin Manager?
I imagine it's point 3, since I can't identify anything in my plugin that'd cause the "only works once" thing...

For testing, I set the boat to speed 1, the ship to speed 8, and the airship to speed 4 in the plugin parameters. I started a new game, set the player speed to 5 (move route), walked around at dashing speed, got in the boat, and went rowing excruciatingly slowly across a small lake. I got out and was back to move speed 5. Rowed back over, really slow; got out, back to speed 5. Similarly with the ship and airship, except their speeds were more tolerable. Maybe I'm missing something? :kaoslp:

Nico Kaneo

Newb
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
:kaohi: By "default" here, you mean the speed it goes at without the plugin? I just tested again and can't seem to reproduce that behaviour. Some things to check:
  1. Are you testing from a new game? If not, the vehicle speeds may be being loaded from the save.
  2. Have you renamed the plugin file? If so, the parameter values will not be recognised.
  3. Are you using any other plugins? If so, could you list (or screenshot) the plugins you're using, in the order they appear in the Plugin Manager?
I imagine it's point 3, since I can't identify anything in my plugin that'd cause the "only works once" thing...

For testing, I set the boat to speed 1, the ship to speed 8, and the airship to speed 4 in the plugin parameters. I started a new game, set the player speed to 5 (move route), walked around at dashing speed, got in the boat, and went rowing excruciatingly slowly across a small lake. I got out and was back to move speed 5. Rowed back over, really slow; got out, back to speed 5. Similarly with the ship and airship, except their speeds were more tolerable. Maybe I'm missing something? :kaoslp:
I did not test from a new game. I have now, and the speeds seem to match what I set them as in the plugin manager. Thanks! I also attached a picture of currently used Plugins in my game, just for reference.

Quick question, though? Once I start a New Game with these vehicle speed settings, can I not change them?

Edit: IgnisPixelMovement and Altimit Movement are unchecked because I'm having problems with them, atm. I don't know if having them unchecked causes problems with vehicle speed, or if any other plugin in that list causes problems..?

Current Plugin List MZ.PNG

caethyril

^_^
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Success! :kaojoy:

The positions, speeds, etc of all vehicles are included in save files, so they'll persist if you save & load. There's no event command to change a vehicle's speed, but you can use this in a Script command:
JavaScript:
$gameMap.vehicle('boat').setMoveSpeed(2.5);
This'll set the move speed of the Boat vehicle to 2.5.
Replace 'boat' with 'ship' or 'airship' for the other vehicles. :kaopride:

Also, plugins that are turned off (unchecked) are inactive and cannot affect your game. This plugin's very simple: I wouldn't expect any compatibility problems unless one of them already does the same thing. :)

Nico Kaneo

Newb
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Success! :kaojoy:

The positions, speeds, etc of all vehicles are included in save files, so they'll persist if you save & load. There's no event command to change a vehicle's speed, but you can use this in a Script command:
JavaScript:
$gameMap.vehicle('boat').setMoveSpeed(2.5);
This'll set the move speed of the Boat vehicle to 2.5.
Replace 'boat' with 'ship' or 'airship' for the other vehicles. :kaopride:

Also, plugins that are turned off (unchecked) are inactive and cannot affect your game. This plugin's very simple: I wouldn't expect any compatibility problems unless one of them already does the same thing. :)
Thanks for your help. I'll report back of I find any other problems. I did have one occurrence that lasted as fast as transferring maps. When going from the world map to another map there character speed skyrocketed to 6, when I had it on 3. When I left the map and came back, it was back to normal. Not sure what that was...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Guess what's next...
How you feel about font and dialogue box changing for every main character while the minor cast and regular npc get their own styles? Too much?
Just found an obviously custom effect (i.e. edited by me) in my resources>sounds folder called "rip jaw off". Dear Lord what is wrong with me as a person that at some point I needed a sound *specifically* for THAT??
(...rhetorical question.)
so like with the whole 'familiarity breeds contempt thingy', how are you supposed to tell if your title screen/battle music gets really tedious after a few dozen plays or if you're just personally hella sick of it?
YAY!!! My third help Guide STEAM integration in MV (High performance) has been posted!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kkyuwon