Is there a script to freely write in game?

Discussion in 'RGSS3 Script Requests' started by theneuro, Jan 9, 2017.

1. theneuro

theneuro Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I'm making a murder mystery game, and I need a really simple script that will allow the player to open the menu and open up a notepad where they can write freely (to record clues and everything). Does something like this already exist?

2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I suggest checking the journal scripts on the master script list, but usually they are only to display pre-written pages.

And you'll need a keyboard script in addition to a notescript, because by default the engine doesn't even check the full keyboard, only a few specific keys...

So most likely it does not exist - but there are more than 1000 scripts on the master script list, I might be wrong about that.

I've moved this thread to Ace Script Request. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

3. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    AFAIK it doesn't exist because of the reasons Andar said above. Search the masterlist but if it really comes out empty, I think your best bet will be to:

rather just have something like a .txt file included in the game, then have a menu option or a key item open up that file instead. It will ofc don't have the look of the game though, in case that's what you want to achieve by making a notepad in-game.

It's actually pretty easy to write the code to make the notepad itself once you have a keyboard script but navigating it will be a bit clunky IMHO (no native mouse support and maybe even with a mouse script you cannot do like highlight some texts to copy or mass delete etc).

What I did before was to just auto-record important clues in the game into an array, then have an item that when called prints out all clues that I've found so far into the console. Now if you're fine with the auto-recording instead, it's way easier to just make a scene that writes out all those auto-recorded things, than the whole writable notepad thing.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2017