Is there a way to adjust the highlighter, map-making tile selector?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Misery

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Meow
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
As for something I got it goes slightly beyond its limits, if not it'll miss a bit...

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't know what you're asking about based on the terminology you're using.

If you're talking about the cursor to select tiles, that is exactly one square tile in size. If you hold the mouse button down, you can drag it to select a group of tiles in a rectangle, but just clicking normally selects precisely one tile.

If that's not what you mean, please explain.

Misery

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Meow
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I am holding the mouse down, but it's still not exactly adjustable... one tile is always either too big or too small for some images. Not flexible...

lesbrarians

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
RPG Maker is a tile-based engine -- you can't adjust the selection freely because the editor views everythng in terms of tiles. It shouldn't matter that you can't freely adjust the selection, though, because all the images within the tile editor will always be one, or multiple, tiles in size. And as ATT pointed out, it's easy to select images that are bigger than one tile by clicking and dragging your mouse to select the whole image.

The only way this should be a limitation is if you're using an improperly formatted tileset, where the images aren't arranged to fit within the 48x48 default tile size. Do you have a screenshot to show what the problem is?

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
one tile is always either too big or too small for some images. Not flexible...
What lesbrarians said - sounds like you are using something that is not correctly formatted as an MZ tileset. All images on there fit perfectly within some number of 48x48 tiles.

Misery

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Meow
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I just try to imagine my gif/pic-taking software limiting me in such a way...
This is it, it can stretch about 1cm over or under the image (height different from width too annoyingly)...
background.png

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
OK, so I'm assuming that's a parallax map. I don't know what you use, but a lot of image-editing software have grids. You can just set it to 48*48 and and see if it's in range.

Misery

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Meow
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I was using it as a tile, but I suppose if it's more efficient parallax...

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I was using it as a tile, but I suppose if it's more efficient parallax...
You had an entire other thread about this, on top of you being able to see what everything looks like that is included with RPG Maker.

You cannot simply decide "I'm using this image as a tile," it has to be a specific size. And for things like autotiles and walls, there are additional specifications. You were already told how to see those in the MZ help file, in addition to being able to simply view any of the premade tileset images to see how they are formatted.

If you want to use something that doesn't conform to tile standards, then that's what parallax mapping is for. Here are a few tutorials:

I just try to imagine my gif/pic-taking software limiting me in such a way...
You like to do this for some reason - you compare something you don't like about RPG Maker to designing an operating system, or to what we would properly call image editing software. Do you also say "I don't like this pizza, it doesn't taste like Chinese food?"

Operating systems and image editors also have limitations in how they behave and what they do. MZ is not an OS or Photoshop. It is what it was designed to be. You can learn how to use it, you can stop using it and use something that suits your needs better, or you can just be eternally miserable.

lesbrarians

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Where is that image from? (Not accusing or anything, I only ask because it looked familiar to me -- it looks like it's the background from the Sky Knight shoot-me-up game, but I'm not sure if that game was made with RPG Maker, or if it used assets that you have access to as well?).

In any case, it's clearly not designed to be a tile, and throwing it on a tilesheet won't cause it to function as a tile. You'll want parallax mapping for something like that.

Misery

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Meow
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Yeah, it seems used there. I'm certainly not doing a shmup, though... and only for a tiny part of the game. Do parallax images work similarly, though, in that they can have access blocked and events set up?

Do you also say "I don't like this pizza, it doesn't taste like Chinese food?"

Good thing I like most pizzas, then... but I think comparing RM with an OS is more relevant as RM sits within an OS, and I was just wondering what an OS would look like if all files were dumped in a single place...

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Do parallax images work similarly, though, in that they can have access blocked and events set up?
You should try watching the two tutorials I looked up and linked for you. Images are just images - you would use the normal eventing layer to define which squares are blocked for movement.
I think comparing RM with an OS is more relevant as RM sits within an OS, and I was just wondering what an OS would look like if all files were dumped in a single place...
If you truly think that is a valid, non-silly comparison, I certainly won't waste my time on it, other than to say literally zero other people who read your posts will agree. (and for fun, take a look at your System32 folder...it will have several times more files in it than you would ever put in your tilesets)

lesbrarians

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ahh, okay, I saw that mlogan mentioned in your other thread about ripped assets that the graphic you're using is available freely on itch. Totally fine, was just wondering where it came from!

Yes, you can still use events and blocked paths on parallax maps. Load a parallax image in a blank test map and try it out -- or watch the videos ATT linked, they explain everything about how parallaxes work.

Misery

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Meow
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I asked about copyright to avoid problems, not to head straight into them, even if others seem to accuse me of such...

take a look at your System32 folder

And... no, it's still a false equivalence, as I don't need to access that folder even a quarter as much as tilesets right now, nor do I need to remember its files' names...

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Your original comparison was a false equivalence. There's no need for you to remember the file names used by your operating system, nor the names of your tilesets.

I'm out...your question has been addressed, you're welcome, incidentally.

lesbrarians

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sorry, didn't mean to accuse you of copyright theft. I'm glad you're planning on avoiding those problems.

RM doesn't dump all its files in one place either. Everything is organized into folders neatly -- battlebacks, characters, tilsets, parallaxes... It's just a matter of knowing which folders you need to use for which images, as well as putting in the work to organize the files within those folders yourself in a way that makes sense to you. But I'm not gonna argue the point!

Misery

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Meow
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It seems the only way to organize them in each folder is through their names, though... and I ended up with a long list because often each small image comes in individual files...

lesbrarians

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's definitely possible to organize them through their names alone. I'm not sure what you mean by each small image coming in individual files. If you're downloading assets that are individual images and not tilesheets, then either you need to combine them into a proper tilesheet, or they're supposed to be used as parallax backgrounds. In which case, please research parallax backgrounds, or how to make tilesheets. I don't think I can help any more on this issue, I'm afraid.

Misery

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Meow
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Now I was referring to really small images, so presumably not parallax if those are normally larger ones... I assumed I'd need to combine them, but it seems difficult, especially if measurements are needed...

lesbrarians

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's not difficult to combine assets into a tilesheet, really -- most image-editing software, like Gimp and Photoshop, have the ability to set up gridlines. Just set up a 48x48 grid and line up your images according to that grid. But images like the one you posted aren't really made to be used in tilesets. I found the asset on itch.io, and it IS supposed to serve as a parallax background -- for vertical scrolling, usually mobile or browser-based games like shmups.

If you want to use the tile editor, then make sure that the assets your downloading are made to be used as tiles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

aww man, color hex code #C4C4C4 doesn't work for the tint value in this scene I need something darker, which stinks just because I liked that one it was my favorite plastic explosive three times...#696969 (nice) should work better (WHY IS MY BRAIN LIKE THIS)
Tell it to me straight, doc. If I've been trying to piece together a "shorter" game to learn stuff outside of game jams... am I just running away from my WIP? :v
Well, I've got a party tomorrow, and my friends are coming over. I wanted to work a bit on the Fandom Scouts assets so I can be ready when that update arrives... in other news, Pizza Time Horror is getting a second teaser, and it shows Cabaret Helen's last performance before the location closed.
Also who used to be scared of Chuck E as a kid? I was! Now I love him!
The new cards and what they do:

(I am clearly not a youtuber... Haha)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuzmitchoww