Is there a way to alter the properties of "Defend"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azrik

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm trying to find out if there is a way to add or change the properties of the "defend" command. For instance changing how much damage it mitigates or adding some type of healing effect to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

muramasa

Abomination of life, or life itself.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
There is a way, though it can be troublesome.

For each character, you need a battle event. This event will have the "Hero X uses the Defend battle command". And that's it. After that, you can manually raise that character's HP, and you can try giving it an altered state too, and make that state double its defense (give it recovery after 0 turns 100%, although I think this part will not work properly...).

Azrik

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ok, So I need to set a battle event. Thanks I'll try that.

Azrik

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I don't suppose there's a way to set a common event for this rather than setting it for every single troop is there? Also is there a way to set it to increase health by a % rather than a set number?

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Azrik, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

If you want to add something, simply edit your post.

Azrik

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Sorry bout that. I'll keep that in mind.

muramasa

Abomination of life, or life itself.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
Even if its a common event, it would not work. The most important part is the trigger, which is "when X character used Defend command". That's why this can get very troublesome. Although you just need to do all character's events, then copy-paste them to Every Single Enemy formation. Tedious, but it's plain old copy paste, no need to change anything.

As for the percentual recovery, you can calculate it by using variable operations (set variable to hero's max HP, multiply it by your desired percentage, then divide it by 100). Then use that result as value for recovery.

Azrik

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

MirageV

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You can always check on 'Mighty Guard' in the character database tab. It will divide damage by 3 instead of 2 if I recall correctly. But otherwise, you will need to use events to create additional defend features such as healing HP or MP, or anything else. Just make sure you turn on Mighty Guard for all the characters you want to have it.

Azrik

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I tried adding a state to heal the player for 5% of their health and for the effect to expire after 1 turn. However the effect never seems to expire. How can I fix this?

MirageV

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I wouldn't use a state for that. It's rather clunky as you've experienced. Instead of doing that, try this.

In the battle event, when a character defends, run a variable operation of this equation: Max HP * Percentage / 100 = Result

So if Max HP is 124, multiplying that by 5 and then dividing it by 100 will get you 6.2, rounded down to 6. That's 5% of 124. 

In RPG Maker 2003, you would simply take a variable and store the defending character's Max HP. Then you'd multiply that same variable by 5, and then you'd divide it by 100. And then with the result, you run the Change HP command and increase the character's HP by the value of the variable. There you go. That's your five percent without messing with states.

Hope that helps.

Wavelength

Pre-Merge Boot
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
EDIT: Nevermind, sorry!

MirageV

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RPG Maker 2003 does not handle guard with a skill.

Wavelength

Pre-Merge Boot
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
RPG Maker 2003 does not handle guard with a skill.
Sorry, saw this at the top of the "Help" section and forgot that the Ace subforum is no longer at the top of the list!  Thanks for the catch.

Azrik

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ok, nvm I figured out how to get it to work with a state. I just had to set the chance of recovery to 100%. Thanks for the replies though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Either I just had one of those dreams where you think you're awake, or I have time traveled. I woke up at 6:58am this morning, heard my father leaving for work, laid back down, now its 1:16am.
So the overhaul on my project has been going great, I like this version of the project a lot more. It's more contained and less overly ambitious for what I can achieve given my constraints on time, money, and skills in advanced programming. I'm going to wait till my project is mostly finished to begin working UI polish again. I'm going to learn how to use LUNA MV to polish the project.
last time i used this site i was a different gender.. wow rlly makes u think... anyway transing ur gender is pretty cool and theres hair growing on my feet now 10/10
I should have listened to RPGMAKER Meme thread. I should have backed up my data. The Orphan of Time, my WIP, is completely gone, all those hours of work are completely gone :(
God what was my life before smartphones (I had a grandma's phone before wednesday)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TEKILAO