Is there a way to easily Encrypt my game?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by SpookyHollows, Nov 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpookyHollows

SpookyHollows Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've finished the second Chapter to my game, finally. But now that I'm ready to export it, I cannot find an encryption button like how RPG Maker VX Ace had?

I'd like to make sure all of my data, music, images, etc cannot be broken into and edited, I worked hard on my game, but not being able to encrypt it like I used to is kind of a pain lol
    I've tried looking up ways to encrypt it, but everything I find is different. I'm looking for a simple solution to this, if possible... any help with this is greatly appreciated.

2. Hyouryuu-Na

Hyouryuu-Na Poker-faced creepy girl Veteran

First Language:
    Bangla
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You can check this video:

This lets you pack all the resources inside a single executive file. This makes it hard for anyone to have access to the game's resources.

3. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    What version of MV are you using? Older versions didn't have encryption built in, but I understand later versions do.

4. Poryg

Poryg Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Single executable makes it a pain to play on older machines due to frequent crashes from RAM overload.

5. Hyouryuu-Na

Hyouryuu-Na Poker-faced creepy girl Veteran

First Language:
    Bangla
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hmm, didn't know that. @SpookyHollows maybe you should update to the newer version.

6. SpookyHollows

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @bgillisp I'm not quite sure what version I'm on..I'm on Steam and don't see any update button. My steam updates itself everyday but I'm not sure if that also updates MV?

7. sura_tc

sura_tc Loner Veteran

First Language:
    Korean
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    One issue I see with one single packed file is ... how are the save files going to be handled? Say I release a new version and players want to use old saves, what then?

8. SpookyHollows

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Poryg Tbh, I can't even play my games from an actual game file on my own laptop XD ever since my good laptop was wrecked, I had to buy a refurbished one..now I have to play my games through playtest. I just hope it's lag free for my players.

9. SpookyHollows

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @sura_tc The players do need their old save file to continue to the next Chapter in my game, I didn't have that problem with encryption in VX Ace back when I first made it..but I hope it can work the same with MV.

10. SpookyHollows

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @bgillisp Seems my version of MV has already been updated, I do see an encryption checkbox for audio and images..but does that protect everything else, like my item icons, sprites, and movie files?

11. sura_tc

sura_tc Loner Veteran

First Language:
    Korean
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The current version of MV, 1.5.1, does have its own encryption if you want to use it. It doesn't affect save files. I have been using it since 3rd party image packs require me to use it.

12. Poryg

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The default encryption stuff is such a low quality encryption that if it was a lock, you could just leave the doors unlocked. :D

13. sura_tc

sura_tc Loner Veteran

First Language:
    Korean
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I personally don't want to use encryption. On the internet, if anyone wants it bad enough, they will crack it. Even AAA companies fail to secure their assets. What chances indies have? Virtually, nil.

azdak likes this.
  14. SpookyHollows

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Poryg @sura_tc While encryption may not be the strongest, I like to at least try to protect it as much as I can..I didn't stay up til 5 this morning trying to get it done and protect what I can for nothing. At least I hope. XD

Also, where do the save files show up at? That way I can help my players when the next Chapter comes out.

azdak likes this.
  15. Poryg

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The default encryption is very weak. Like really, very weak. It doesn't even encrypt the assets, because there are some things around Apple policies or something. I'm not sure exactly.
    The best protection would be to make that single file installation, but as I said, thatone makes it very tedious to play on weaker machines... And it is not lags, but constant crashes from full RAM that cause the problem. It's up to you though.

16. sura_tc

sura_tc Loner Veteran

First Language:
    Korean
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Under www folder. It's "save" folder.

17. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @SpookyHollows Please don't post 3x in a row like that at the top. That's what we call double posting. Next time please edit the post.

18. LordScribble

LordScribble Villager Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I don't know if this happened to more people but just in case, I followed the instructions of that video and moved the executable to my desktop. However, when trying to launch my demo, I checked if the options menu was ok, but it gave me an error everytime I tried to exit with the "Esc" key, saying it couldn't find the save file.

What I did was copy the original www folder and place it in another folder with the executable, and then remove all files inside the that new www
    EXCEPT the save file. This way, the demo didn't give any more errors and the important such as the images remained encrypted.

Fitferfer likes this.
  19. Aesica

Aesica undefined Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    As someone who data mines content from 2 different MMOs for fun, trust me when I say that if someone wants to dig around in your game's assets, they're going to find a way to do it no matter how you try to prevent it. If triple-A game developers can't prevent their assets and data from being extracted and viewed by prying eyes, neither can you.

That said, I'd be more concerned with making sure as many people as possible will be able to play my game without incident, rather than locking my assets in a hack-proof safe. As @Poryg pointed out, the default encryption is incredibly low quality, but it will prevent someone from casually grabbing your game assets which is better than nothing. If you try to go any more secure than that, you risk making your game less stable and less compatible with older machines. That means a narrower audience, plus a mix of poor reviews (this game won't run on my machine!) and customer support inquiries that you otherwise wouldn't have had to deal with.

Unless you're using a ton of high quality custom assets, those extra layers of encryption are absolutely not worth bothering with. Even if you are, the number of malicious data stripminers out there isn't as high as you seem to think. And again, those who are will beat your encryption whether you use MV's in-house system, a container executable, or something else.

azdak likes this.
  20. Poryg

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Considering the fact that MV project unpackers are two clicks away from anybody who can use google on a basic level, I wouldn't say that's entirely correct. Although it may not be 100% safe, because some of these inject malware into your computer.
    I wouldn't be worried about that. Memory-wise raw MV is pretty well optimized in terms of RAM usage and unless you're using some weird plugins or have a memory leak, you can run a game even on a 4 GB RAM computer just fine. If you just change the decryption algorithm for some other one, you won't be increasing the RAM usage a great deal. The only thing that could take an impact is speed, because MV is built fully synchronous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.