RMMZ Is there a way to hide my source files when deployed to browser?

kdrk

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Just like what the title says
Is there a way to hide my source files when deployed to browser?

For example my "imgs" folder in my game, I wouldn't want people to be able to download my sprites sheets when playing the game if possible, is there any way to hide them in the Sources tab of Chrome Developer Tools?

Soulrender

Jack Of All Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The only thing that comes to my mind is to place an empty file index.html it has a downside that someone knows the exact file name in-game directory it still can be downloaded, second thing is setting rules in .htaccess file on web server, but this is more advanced trick, check this for similar case:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
yes and no

ultimately every protection can be circumvented, and the browser need to have the files in cache to use them.

however you can make it more difficult to use them.

one of the better (but not good) option is to use the build-in encryption when deploying.
that encryption is very simple and can easily be broken with some effort, but it will take that additional effort.
that is because the encrypted files are no longer directly readable, which means someone has to download the encrypted files and decrypt them before they can be extracted.
combine that with other protections like the htaccess described above and people will have to work to get your ressources.

it's probably only an hour of work for someone who knows what he is doing, but better than nothing and it will prevent kiddies from extracting them.

Last edited:

BenSD

Could be anybody
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Edit: ninja'd with a more complete answer; well played!

You know, there's actually an 'encrypt' option in the deployment menu. It doesn't hide your images, but the chances that somebody is dedicated enough to find and unencrypt them are pretty slim.

kdrk

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Edit: ninja'd with a more complete answer; well played!

You know, there's actually an 'encrypt' option in the deployment menu. It doesn't hide your images, but the chances that somebody is dedicated enough to find and unencrypt them are pretty slim.
I tried these stuffs but when I check google chrome developer tool's sources. It still shows the PNG files of my IMG assets/character sprites, and when I right click, there is open image in new window, then you can save as the asset there....

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
nothing can prevent that - nothing short of using a browser that does not have that ability, and on a web deployment the player chooses the browser, not you.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

My game has a (much needed) tutorial now...
Game Making Every Day #20:kaohi:

ScreenShot_8_14_2022_11_55_51.png
FINALLY added the comic bubble to the Title Screen...
I know I'll put one of my game's sprites here to give the illusion that I am a productive member of game society.
handelspriteanim.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gaggo