Is there a way to import levels?

EGP

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Me and my friend are trying to make a game with rpg maker mv and I wanted to know if there was a way I could add his made levels to my game, so we can export it as one game.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You could use Dropbox to hold all the game files, which means you could both work on it and immediate see each other's changes. However, this means that you can also overwrite each other's changes. Risks of this happening are lowered if one of you works on maps and the other on the database, but there will still be overlap.

If you don't want to work on the "same" project (ie - you each have your own versions and you simply swap files), then you at least need to make sure you're not working on the same map numbers. If you haven't started mapping yet, both of you create 100 maps in your projects, and you work on maps 1-50 while your friend works on 51-100. This means you just swap the maps and replace the blank ones in your own project with the filled-in ones that your friend sends you. There will still be some details on the map properties that you'll need to manually fill in (because the MapInfos data file also contains a bit of info for each map).

Last edited by a moderator:

EGP

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
You could use Dropbox to hold all the game files, which means you could both work on it and immediate see each other's changes. However, this means that you can also overwrite each other's changes. Risks of this happening are lowered if one of you works on maps and the other on the database, but there will still be overlap.

If you don't want to work on the "same" project (ie - you each have your own versions and you simply swap files), then you at least need to make sure you're not working on the same map numbers. If you haven't started mapping yet, both of you create 100 maps in your projects, and you work on maps 1-50 while your friend works on 51-100. This means you just swap the maps and replace the blank ones in your own project with the filled-in ones that your friend sends you. There will still be some details on the map properties that you'll need to manually fill in (because the MapInfos data file also contains a bit of info for each map).
Ok, but I need to now how to put them together (merge) if you know can you tell me steps?

EGP

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english

If you could tell me how to merge our levels that are already made it would be awesome. :)

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
EGP, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

You cannot combine several maps into one map, you can only copy maps unchanged into your game.

To do this, you need to create more (empty) maps in the editor of the future master copy, then copy the mapfile with the correct number to replace the empty map into that project.

If you want to add a map that has the same number as an already existing map, you need to copy the map into another map slot in the original before transferring the file.

In all cases, you have then to check the events of those maps if they still use the correct transfer targets.

it is a lot easier if you make one mastercopy with database and a lot of empty maps, copy that to all team members, agree who uses which of those empty maps to work on, and then simply copy everything together again.

That way there is a lot less work with checking.

felsenstern

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
First of all, make a backup of both of your games, put the backup somewhere safe.

- Double click your project file

- double click the project file of your friend

- Place both MV instances side by side

- Right click on the map you want to copy and select copy

- Now move to the other MV instance

- Right click where you want to place the map and select paste

- After you've transfered all maps, correct transfer events!!!

You can copy paste almost everything, variables, switches, common events, events, maps, tilesets, actors, skills.... and it's a bit safer than copy the data files.

And working together in shares and combining them is way more flexible than working together on a big map with placeholders and stuff. However it would be a good idea to define variable- and switch ranges (ie. 200-399 you, 400-599 your friend) and work your enemies, states, skills and so on out together.

Reactions: EGP

EGP

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
EGP, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

You cannot combine several maps into one map, you can only copy maps unchanged into your game.

To do this, you need to create more (empty) maps in the editor of the future master copy, then copy the mapfile with the correct number to replace the empty map into that project.

If you want to add a map that has the same number as an already existing map, you need to copy the map into another map slot in the original before transferring the file.

In all cases, you have then to check the events of those maps if they still use the correct transfer targets.

it is a lot easier if you make one mastercopy with database and a lot of empty maps, copy that to all team members, agree who uses which of those empty maps to work on, and then simply copy everything together again.

That way there is a lot less work with checking.
so in the situation make a bunch of maps then give to each use. Do I just combine the project folders or will that overwrite everything?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Combining the project folders will overwrite everything, you need to select only the specific files that had been updated.

(if both copies are still identical otherwiese, you'll copy identical files over each other when copying the folder - but if you worked on different parts, those files will no longer be identical...

EGP

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Combining the project folders will overwrite everything, you need to select only the specific files that had been updated.

(if both copies are still identical otherwiese, you'll copy identical files over each other when copying the folder - but if you worked on different parts, those files will no longer be identical...
What specific files am I looking for?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
each file in the project is named in a way that it will be obvious what data is stored inside - if someone changed that part of the data, you'll need that you have to update the file in the master project.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Suddenly wanna hear this ...
The best way to end your day? Cuddle your kitten! :LZSproud:

Explorer's Log:
September 29th
Silent Hill 4pm, 91F, air quality forecast of 301 AQI

The mask upgrade appears to be working great, I've had less hallucinations of weird fleshy creatures today... Some even look like people. Though I remain unconvinced of such. Still in hindsight, I probably should have treated previous "weird fleshy creatures" better, just in case.

Still no Pyramid hat though, I'll keep searching.
Rocket League - Streaming once more! - 30 Followers Goal

30 Followers and I'll stream a game while using a voicechanger
Was liking Genshin Impact ok.... then T.T .... *sniffle* then..... TWWWT MICRO-TRANSACTIONS!!!! BWAAAAAAAAAHAAAAHAAAAAAAA!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thecooked1