Is there a way to lock main menu options at the start and have them unlock through game progress?

Discussion in 'Visual Novel Maker Support' started by wilsonthegreen, May 1, 2019.

1. wilsonthegreen

wilsonthegreen Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    I know the CG gallery has options to have images locked then unlock them through actions in game but I wanted to ask if there was a way to do something similar with menu buttons on the main screen.

Examples: The whole CG gallery locked until reaching a certain point, or having an "Extra mode" only available upon completion of the game.

2. Lostboy

Lostboy Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Sure, you could do that.
    It could work if you use a hotspot button that displays under the condition that a persistent switch is toggled and have the switch enabled at a certain point in the game.
    Not sure why but under image map hotspot conditions where you can bind to switch, it won't accept persistent variables, so if you are intending to use the default title screen, I think you might have to edit the image map files and erase the "Extra Mode" and replace it with the hotspot instead.

3. Kentou

Kentou Admin Veteran

@Lostboy: Thanks for letting us know about the issue. A workaround could be to just move the value from a persistent variable into a local variable at game start.

@wilsonthegreen So basically, if you make your title screen using Show Image Map command, you can bind the Enabled-State of an option to a Switch variable. If that variable is OFF, the option will be shown as disabled and can't be clicked.

4. wilsonthegreen

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    @Kentou

I'm trying to test your suggestion but I'm a little confused. The bind enabled state prevents the choice from being opened but I don't see anything about a switch variable. Am I supposed to use the bind value option as well?

and I didnt think you could use hotspots alongside images maps @Lostboy i tried before and they didnt play well together

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  5. Lostboy

Lostboy Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    What if you made two different image maps using conditioned commands.
    Option 1: The image map without "FAQ", have it displayed if the switch for the FAQ isn't toggled.
    Option 2: The image map with "FAQ", will be displayed instead if the switch is toggled (Use persistent variable when you first introduce your FAQ tutorial)

Example:
    example.png

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  6. wilsonthegreen

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    @Lostboy Could you do that with multiple different variables? Or only one that's "off" or "on"?

Example: If I wanted to have 2 different things locked at the start, would this still be possible? Since it'd need states for,

option 1: open, option 2: open
    option 1: closed, option 2: open
    option 1: closed, option 2: closed
    option 1: open, option 2: closed

7. Lostboy

Lostboy Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    I'm pretty sure it could work.
    If you don't want to use switches you can use numbered variables.

Perhaps though, you could get your desired effect in this manner.
    Example:
    Ex1.png
    Ex2.png

The problem here would be if #2 is locked and #3 is 'on', then there would be a gap where #2 should be...
    However with some logic I think that could be easily solved.

Example 2:
    Ex3.png
    Theoretically this should work because you wouldn't need to worry about when #2 is 'on' and #3 is off since there would be no gap.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  8. wilsonthegreen

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    I see, I tested it out and it seems to work out. Thanks a bunch @Lostboy