Is there a way to make an enemy immune to the battle menu Attack option?

GlitchyTSP

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
upload_2019-7-17_12-17-42.png (Or in this case, fight.)

I wanted to make an enemy that can only be damaged by magic attacks (I.E. The option below Fight), physical attacks won't work.
However, I'm unsure of how to make the enemy immune to the Fight option, I originally thought if I made the enemy immune to
physical attacks it would work, but it seems the fight option may have it's own 'elemental' type.

if what I'm typing isn't making any sense then I apologise, I'll try to RE-phrase my sentence, so that it can be more understandable.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Fight uses your current weapon, which will use whatever element is assigned to that weapon. You'll have to make the enemy immune to all elements which can be assigned to your weapons.

Usually I do this by giving each weapon type their own element (so Bow for Bow weapons, etc), then make the monster immune to all damage of that type with element rate 0%.

GlitchyTSP

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Fight uses your current weapon, which will use whatever element is assigned to that weapon. You'll have to make the enemy immune to all elements which can be assigned to your weapons.

Usually I do this by giving each weapon type their own element (so Bow for Bow weapons, etc.), then make the monster immune to all damage of that type with element rate 0%.
Ah thanks.

As a side question, Is there a way to add a message when an attack fails?

Like, say for instance you try to use a physical attack and the enemy mocks you saying something like: "physical attacks won't work."

Last edited:

Wavelength

Edge of Eternity
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Ah thanks.

As a side question, Is there a way to add a message when an attack fails?

Like, say for instance you try to use a physical attack and the enemy mocks you saying something like: "physical attacks won't work."
I believe this would require you to do some coding inside the methods that check for action success. It might be worth making a request in the RGSS Script Requests subforum.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
To clear something up that might get lost otherwise:

The "Fight" option always uses skill #1, the same way that "Guard" will always use skill #2.
The behaviour that bgillisp described up there is the default behavior of skill#1. But if you change that skill, then you change how the button behaves. And that can be anything you chose.
There have been cases where someone who didn't know this replaced their skills, assigned skill #1 to a healing skill and then wondered why their enemies no longer attacked (the enemies use the same skill for basic attack) and their own tries to attack trigggered a healing.

GlitchyTSP

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I believe this would require you to do some coding inside the methods that check for action success. It might be worth making a request in the RGSS Script Requests subforum.
Will be sure to ask, thanks.

To clear something up that might get lost otherwise:

The "Fight" option always uses skill #1, the same way that "Guard" will always use skill #2.
The behaviour that bgillisp described up there is the default behavior of skill#1. But if you change that skill, then you change how the button behaves. And that can be anything you chose.
There have been cases where someone who didn't know this replaced their skills, assigned skill #1 to a healing skill and then wondered why their enemies no longer attacked (the enemies use the same skill for basic attack) and their own tries to attack trigggered a healing.
Yeah, There's a NOTES section that tells you that, but had it not have been for that or this I would have been clueless.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
[dpost]GlitchyTSP[/dpost]
I have merged your posts for you this time.

If you want to quote more than one post use the Multiquote button otherwise the forum software automatically creates a new post. Alternatively you can use @ plus the username which alerts the Member to rhe fact that you have replied to them like this @GlitchyTSP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Small rant: While using SRD Hud maker for a battle hud, I typed in the wrong script call and got an error, but then forgot to delete the piece that caused the error before closed the Hud maker and hit F5 to restart the game. Now everytime I engage in a battle my game crashes...
:kaolivid:
Would Jump into Javascript be best off continuing to break down the MV core files, or would people prefer a quick detour to cover everything that's changed in the core from MV to MZ?
Not going to lie... PIXI Particles make fantastic graphics... But predicting the hitbox of something with a "fixed size" but whose graphics can stick out past that, is quite challenging. :kaoswt:
Would you like a glass of spiders?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaezyelnatz