Is there a way to make an Item only consumable during battles, but not otherwise?

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here's the gyst:

There is an item I have called the glass jar. It's mainly supposed to serve as an ingredient for crafting certain things, but I also want to make it to where if it's used in battle, the actor who uses it throws the glass jar at the enemy to deal damage (and thus, consume it)

The thing is, I can't really seem to find a work around other than a common event where, if used in the overworld, it doesn't consume the Jar. (Aka, it currently activates a Common Event where it just gives the player another jar after "using it" on the Menu Screen, thus, consuming it, but giving it right back).

Is there an easier way to make this happen? I feel like perhaps I'm not approaching it correctly. And I don't want to have so many common events around this if I can help it.

RCXGaming

Champion of Brightmoon Tor
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Can't you just attach a conditional branch to the events themselves so they restore the Glass Jar and make it Exit Event Processing so it doesn't properly complete unless you have a Glass Jar?

I don't really see the need to make a common event for it.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Can't you just attach a conditional branch to the events themselves so they restore the Glass Jar and make it Exit Event Processing so it doesn't properly complete unless you have a Glass Jar?

I don't really see the need to make a common event for it.
Oh, really? How do I go about doing that? As far as I can tell, I can only control an Item's properties through the Items tab in the System Settings.
To my knowledge, the only "event" I can attach to an item is a Common Event.

RCXGaming

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Oh, really? How do I go about doing that? As far as I can tell, I can only control an Item's properties through the Items tab in the System Settings.
To my knowledge, the only "event" I can attach to an item is a Common Event.

lQKtoSA.png

I somehow don't believe you've never looked into the other functionalities of conditional branches with how long you've been here.

V5FQBve.png

This is what I meant, by the way.

Common Events should be for like, system functions that you need to repeat a lot, since all you'd need to do is tweak the switches/variables in that page and not every event they're attached to.

There is no need to create common events if the thing you need Glass Jars for is different per individual event.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
lQKtoSA.png

I somehow don't believe you've never looked into the other functionalities of conditional branches with how long you've been here.

V5FQBve.png

This is what I meant, by the way.

Common Events should be for like, system functions that you need to repeat a lot, since all you'd need to do is tweak the switches/variables in that page and not every event they're attached to.

There is no need to create common events if the thing you need Glass Jars for is different per individual event.

Oh, that won't quite work.
The thing is, since glass jars are going to be useable as a damage item in battles, I want them to be consumable.

I'm trying to account for the fact that a player could just go into their inventory at any point in the game, and select the Glass Jar to "Use" it on someone and "consume" it since consumability has to be on.
(Hence, just essentially doing nothing, and the jar disappears)
It won't necessarily be a specific event or anything, which is why I'm not really sure how I'd follow your screenshots, cause the players can go to their inventory anytime they want, and not at a specific point.

Do you perhaps mean battle events? Like, using a glass jar during battles? Would there be a way to event the usage of a glass jar without making it "consumable"? (Don't want the player to be able to throw infinite glass jars after all)

That's kind of why I keep going back to the idea of Common Events.
But surely there is something I'm overlooking, I'm kind of with you and find it hard to believe there's not an easier solution.

RCXGaming

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Oh, that won't quite work.
The thing is, since glass jars are going to be useable as a damage item in battles, I want them to be consumable.

I'm trying to account for the fact that a player could just go into their inventory at any point in the game, and select the Glass Jar to "Use" it on someone and "consume" it since consumability has to be on.
It won't necessarily be a specific event or anything, which is why I'm not really sure how I'd follow your screenshots, cause the players can go to their inventory anytime they want, and not at a specific point.

Do you perhaps mean battle events? Like, using a glass jar during battles? Would there be a way to event the usage of a glass jar without making it "consumable"? (Don't want the player to be able to throw infinite glass jars after all)

That's kind of why I keep going back to the idea of Common Events.

... Ah, I thought you wanted them to be used for specific events. Guess I read wrong.

Just set it to be combat use only? You can do this by setting its occasion to be "Battle Screen". You can't use it up on the overworld if it's set to that, even if it's consumable in battle.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
... Ah, I thought you wanted them to be used for specific events. Guess I read wrong.

Just set it to be combat use only? You can do this by setting its occasion to be "Battle Screen". You can't use it up on the overworld if it's set to that, even if it's consumable in battle.

Oh my gosh that worked so well ;w;
I had seen the options beforehand, but for some reason I had convinced myself that setting it to Battle Screen would make the item completely disappear from the regular Menu Screen, lol.

Thank you!!

RCXGaming

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Oh my gosh that worked so well ;w;
I had seen the options beforehand, but for some reason I had convinced myself that setting it to Battle Screen would make the item completely disappear from the regular Menu Screen, lol.

Thank you!!

Hindsight is 20/20, which is why it's usually a good idea to go out and actually check something is true instead of assuming. :kaoswt:

You'd be surprised how many functions of RPG Maker are right there yet people don't use them.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

All the artists on here always share their art, and I wanted to partake in the sharing. I wanted to show off the album art for my game's soundtrack while also showing off this song. I wanted to take a break from all the pianos/strings/jazz. I experimented with some side-chaining techniques to modulate the dub-step like synth.
Crazy idea to help people be more productive. We all upload a photo of someone who is good at nagging, cajoling, guilting, etc. you into doing what you should be doing. Then, after you have posted X amount of times in a defined period, that photo pops up with the text of "Shouldn't you be working on your game?" Just for fun.:wink:
Avery wrote on MouseWorks's profile.
That is a really cute avatar concept that you have there! I like it :3
Well, here's a screenshot of just another game that might never be completed...

quicktrip_xp01.jpg
Fake FullScreen (Download):

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
riluohuangsha