Is there a way to make faux non-euclidean maps?

Darkbeetlebot

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
For an example of what I'm talking about, look at footage of a game called Antichamber. My idea is to have a map which has invisible portals at different points that lead to other maps, but transition seamlessly instead of fading in and out so that the player THINKS they're in the same room, but they're really in a look-alike that's a totally different area, giving the illusion of an impossible or non-euclidean space.

Is it possible to do this in a way that doesn't let on what's happening? I haven't touched RPG maker in a while, so I'm really unsure of if having that necessary seamless transition is even possible, or if there would be an obvious tell at the triggers.

I was thinking of using this core idea as the basis for a series of puzzle maps in a project if I ever get back to it. If it is possible, what other things could be done with invisible portals to make even trippier puzzles than just a room that changes as you move through it? I already know it's possible to do a regular teleport that has a conditional for certain variables that I can use to make the same "door" go to entirely different maps depending on what happens. i.e. Player goes through start room door and into a room that leads to a dead end. They go back to the door that leads to the start room, but it takes them somewhere completely different and sets a flag. Then if they turn back around and go through it again, that flag tells it to take them to yet another room that isn't the one they just left.

Or perhaps if the seamless teleport is possible, have infinite hallways like the one found in Super Mario Bros, or the infinite staircase in Mario 64. Basically, I want to make navigational puzzles that aren't just mazes or switches and locked doors. What other things could be possible, I wonder?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you can tell the engine to not use any fade in the transfer command - that is simple, just go to the command directly instead of using the shortcut of quick event creation.

it's more problematical to make the rest of the maps seem identical, like no event position changes and so on. But that requires "only" carefull map design

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
yes-ish, it's possible.
but there would be a small perceptible stutter when the maps change, it wouldn't be seamless.

Darkbeetlebot

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
yes-ish, it's possible.
but there would be a small perceptible stutter when the maps change, it wouldn't be seamless.
If it's really that noticeable, do you think there's any way around it? Or perhaps just another way entirely?

Because if it's a stutter that's so small that a player who's ignorant of the trick probably wouldn't bat an eye, it may be something I can live with.

Edit: After finally getting my Ace install back together, I got to test it out a bit and found a VERY small stutter that I only noticed when I was looking for it. The bigger issue is masking the transition, because the event needed to be placed pretty far into the hallway I made before I stopped consciously noticing the point where it transitioned.

Last edited:

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I guess the blip comes when transitioning from a small map to a big one.
you can probably hide the transition by jumping from small map to small map, and then switch from small map to big map through a regular transition.
another way is making a very large map, and put several independent sections in the same actual map, but far apart from one another so they won't be seen from another section.
that way you're always jumping from within the same map, with no transition.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Profile Posts

currently listening to Driftwood Gaming streaming some MZ dev time and it's delightful! had no idea they were this entertaining, love it
In quarantine, will be tested soon. This year is really something... special.
I was at another orientation yesterday and I realized I'll be working with an old friend! We met at the local water park a few years back and it was so nice to see her again! We had a chat, and next week when I officially start, I'll see if maybe we can trade our Zoom IDs so we can talk!
I made some sideview closets for MV!
You can find them in my MV resource thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purboy