Is there a way to override tile settings using events?

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is there a way to override tile settings using events? I want to make certain characters be able to "fly" and therefore negate any (x) tile setting and hazard. I'm also trying to create characters that can climb, which will only negate some of the (x) tiles. Is there an easy way to do this using events?

I need both the ability to set certain tiles as passable (but only under certain conditions) and the ability to make certain characters able to negate all conditions... I'm planning on having a large map with lots of areas so I really don't want to have to make duplicates of everything......

Lothloran

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm sure you already know the logistics of what you're trying to do, and/or have the script/event all sorted out. The best way I'd figure you could do this without letting the player fly into things you don't *want* them to fly over/through would be by using region tiles. Pick a region number for where they can fly over and a region number that they can't fly over and then plop them down on the map.

ZServ

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Off the top of my head, two ideas come to mind.

1. Make a copy of the tileset, with the passibility set for whatever skill-set you want. Then, when that character is traversing the terrain, simply swap tilesets on the map.

2. Use regions, check player region using a parallel process, and control their ability to go through stuff (through: ON, through: OFF) via a move-command.

Between the two, 1 is probably better.

AceOfAces_Mod

Engineering to infinity!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The "Move Event" command could be used to make the characters fly, but the engine will reset the settings done by the command.

If the character is something like a bird, just set the priority to "Above Player".

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm sure you already know the logistics of what you're trying to do, and/or have the script/event all sorted out. The best way I'd figure you could do this without letting the player fly into things you don't *want* them to fly over/through would be by using region tiles. Pick a region number for where they can fly over and a region number that they can't fly over and then plop them down on the map.
I wish I knew the logistics xD I have an idea but little to no clue about how to execute the many ideas that I have for my game. (Total newbie over here trying to self-teach literally every part of game-making x.x) So just to clarify- can regions be used to dictate what tiles can and cannot be walked on? Could I even use these regions to make a more specific setting for tile passability?

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
also, thank you everyone for the responses! Now I just need to figure out how to understand what yall are saying xD

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There are two simple but limited ways to get what you want.

1) use the airship vehicle.
Once boarded the airship ignores all passability.
Limitation: the player can only land/leave on certain passable tiles, and no event reacts to the airship

2) use set move route command targeted on the player to turn through on for the player
This basically turns the player into a ghost, ignoring all passabilities but also unable to interaction with anything

Anything else will need a plugin that changes passabilities or map changes (might be limited to tileset change or switching between different maps

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Coffee + Silk Coconut Milk + Splenda Zero = Not ..... awful :/ .
My new RPG Maker music pack, Emotional: Redemption, is now in progress and will be coming to RPG Maker soon. It is an album that focuses on emotional themes including the darker forms of sorrow and despair. Below is a demo of a composition from the album.

Please watch out for your hands when handling chests! XD Did this a few days ago, it was fun to animate

Apparently, it's illegal to be drunk on licensed premises: pubs, etc. It's illegal for keepers of public houses to permit drunkenness and disorderly conduct. lol.
Pillow Hero - A 16-bit arcade styled puzzle game, update 0.5 is live now on Itch.io! --> https://bifrost09.itch.io/pillow-hero

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toanbeokame