Is there a way to prevent the gain of EXP?

Lord Roy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm trying to create either an item or a mode that prevents you from getting EXP. I got the idea from Kingdom Heart Critical Mode lv1 runs. So is there any way I can do that?

Sakurra

I want a brownie.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Maybe applying a condition or using a script I would guess.

Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Couple ways. Create monsters that are 0 XP for your "mode". Or, create items that are unequipable with the Sp-Parameter of EXR at 0%. Whomever it's equipped on will never get XP so long as it cannot be unequipped.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Tai_MT could you use a state for that rather than a piece of equipment?

Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Tai_MT could you use a state for that rather than a piece of equipment?

That's probably a better idea. Just make sure the state couldn't be healed at all, and don't create an icon for it or anything if you don't want it. Just create "Hard Mode" state, apply it on starting up the game and each time you get a new party member. You can easily make the state incurable by not having Inns and such remove it (or maybe applying it again after the Inn removes it). Just have "Sp-Parameter EXR 0%".

Much simpler than my ideas!

BadMinotaur

You can do it!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Doesn't RPG Maker's default behavior remove all states upon death? That might be something to take into consideration if it's a party-based battle system. It wouldn't be too hard to work around, just add the "Hard Mode" state to any resurrection items.

CleanWater

Independent Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Parallel Process Common Event - Change Character EXP - Set to 0. Is there any commands similar to this on VX Ace?

Uzuki

Kawaii on the streets, Senpai in the sheets
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You could use Moogle X's Traits Extension plugin that has an option to inflict the state and keep it on or Yanfly's Passive state plugin that doe's the same thing.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Personally I'd go the Yanfly Passive State route - it takes care of death, inns, etc. so that you don't have to re-apply it. Infinitely preferable to having a parallel process common event.

Harosata

Dramatic Lightning's BFF
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I did something similar for my game, though it's more of a mode than an item.

Code:
class Game_Enemy < Game_Battler
  def exp
    if $game_switches[NOEXP]
      return 0
    else
      enemy.exp
    end
  end
end

Alternatively, you could create two common events: one that turns a switch on/off depending on the state of the switch, and another that parallel processes if that switch is on; the second common event puts that 0% exp on the whole party or every individual. Then you create an item that runs the common event to turn the switch on. You could also try Himework's Common Event Equip with this if you want Final Fantasy 15's Nixperience Band.

Also, when you turn the switch off, you might also want to remove the state there too.

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Today is the day! I will be productive in game dev work! I will - *gets distracted by cat playing with her toy mouse* Awww <3
Whelp. I tried to be productive.
Decided to work on Fandom Scouts today. I've decided that instead of using the generic "scrolling text" event that MV has (I'm using MV for FS, not MZ) I'll use the movie option. I'm still trying to find a way to get Premiere Pro to output the compatible format though. If anyone can give me some help, it would be greatly appreciated!
Barthdry wrote on tln143's profile.
Hello tln143 Welcome to the RPG Maker Forum. We wish you enjoy and make good rpg games
Barthdry wrote on 00cassiesmells's profile.
Hello 00casiemells Welcome to the RPG Maker Forum. We wish you enjoy and make good rpg games
Remember guys: Drink water and workout is important too! Don't stay too much time on the PC working! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corporal_Siva