Zarsla

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Just as the titles says, is there any differences between VX and VX Ace sprites? And if so what are they?

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I think Ace just has more of them, but I'm not 100% positive.  You can download both the RTP's and compare them yourself, you just can't use them in your games without owning the maker that it goes with.

Seriel

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
The VX Ace RTP has the same sprites, but a lot more as well.

Zarsla

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Are the sprites different sizes like one's bigger than the other?

Seriel

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
No, I think they're essentialy the same, you can use VX sprites in Ace, and Ace ones in VX.

Zarsla

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
True but you have to put the $ symbol infront of VX sprites which suggest that VX and VX Ace sprites are different sizes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pine

Biggest Tree in the Forest
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
Learned this myself, recently. They're just the same, even the single sheets with $ at the filename. So if you download custom made resources that were originally intended fro VX, they'll also work in Ace.

True but you have to put tbe $ symbol infront of VX sprites which suggest that VX and VX Ace sprites are different sizes. 
This is only for individual sheets.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mihel

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
VXAce ones have a brighter and more saturated colour palette. Other than this, they're identical.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
True but you have to put the $ symbol infront of VX sprites which suggest that VX and VX Ace sprites are different sizes.
The $ symbol has absolutely nothing to do with sprite size, neither in Ace nor VX. It declares the file to be a single sprite instead of a set of 4x2 sprites.

You could easily make bigger sprites without the $ in the name - you just need eight sprites of identical size without the $.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Worked on a cutscene skip domino effect using Maker Systems' script as the basis. Basically if I have a batch of cutscenes in a row on different maps, now when you skip one cutscene it will skip the entire set. No more spamming X to skip a scene every new map.

Oh and it will work regardless of where you do it from in the set. Convenient!
seems absolutely WILD to me now all the hundreds of hours of work I used to do in 2k(3) over a decade ago with a resolution of 320x240. that seems so insanely TINY now, seemed so normal at the time!
Playing Aroma Indosiar theme song.
Aroma is an Indonesian TV show about cooking. :)
Working on a characteeer! (Why is it so hard to color hair?) ;-;
Silly-Sketches.png
Just finished eventing a couple simple puzzles in RMMV, for my very first game "Sample Quest." Just messing around, throwing things together, and calling it a story XD On a non-RM note, got my hair cut today!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GThink