Is there any real difference when uploading custom sprites for mv and mz?

Glade

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Its been a while since I messed with things, I was planning on creating my own sprite sheets for rpg maker and other compatible software. I have a few questions I was wondering about.

Are there different naming conventions when it comes to uploading a sprite sheet with mv and mv or is it fine to use the ! S on both.

Can i make animated icons/nonplayer items? I tried looking it up but I'm mostly just finding answers on the animation engine where they were making particle effects.

I'm still looking it up myself but is there anything I need to do specifically when it comes to sprite sheets in rpg maker? I know there's the full sheet, the character one and that I have to keep them separated. Especially the characters and that there shouldn't be any wasted space. Is there any kind of setup I need to keep in mind for it?

Soulrender

Jack Of All Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
According to my tests, no, there is no difference.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
never used mz, but the rundown for MV is that all sprite sheets need to be scaled to the same ratio as the defaults you start with. the engine will always search for up-facing characters in the first line, left-facing in the second, etc. you can reappropriate the sprite sheet if you're just having sprites stand in one position only. this means you can apply inanimate objects, NPCs with no walk cycle or whatever, wherever (as long as it doesn't break the 48x48 boundary). if you wish to have any of the following that were stated above doing a 2-3 image walk cycle (but with no interest in having them move coordinates or change direction), you just have to place the 2 extra frames you want to transform into to the right of the first initial image. it doesn't matter where on the spritr sheet you start, but again, make sure it doesn't interfere with any of the 3×4 cell spaces which you intend to use for a full up-left-right-down character. MV only provides 3 frames for animation, so make sure to use the common event "change direction" to get creative if you want to exploit the sprite sheet to get a maximum of 12 animation frames. never seen this used before except for me...

*the boundaries don't have to be 48x48 either, you can make them literally whatever you want but you don't want them to be incompatible with the tiling system you already use. i think default is 48x48 for MV, but i use the plugin that lets the engine read for 32 multiples.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Do you know what ! and $ are for in sprite names? They have been used for all engines since VX. But you need to understand what they're for, so you know when to use them or leave them off.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There's not really a difference. But since it looks like you might not know, all of the information you're asking about is in the help file. Click Help in the editor, go to Contents and scroll down to Documentation -> Asset Standards.

Glade

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Do you know what ! and $ are for in sprite names? They have been used for all engines since VX. But you need to understand what they're for, so you know when to use them or leave them off.
from what i saw ones to stop the sprite from moving 6 pixels up and the other i can't remember atm the moment the other one but i think it had something to do with the format

Glade

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
thank you all for the replies

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Food for thought. Factorio: Spaghetti belts make your factory inefficient as you fight for space constantly. Satisfactory: Spaghetti belts and massive clipping is the most efficient way to run your factory since it's the shortest distances.
ScreenShot_8_19_2022_8_51_4.png
Both Mike and Ray here are in a "HYPE!" state after Mike uses "Wild Party", which also heals everyone. they'll do more damage and counter more often, but defense is lower along with hit rate.
WHEEL3.gif
Ooker spookers and fun attack mechanics! What a Friday!
Not today... Not today...
I guess I should send my CV to Hasbro. I've made Monopoly cheaters edition more fun and challenging. I've developed custom cheats and chest/chance cards for it. And I've cleared many nightmares through my cards and rules.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Balalaika