Is there any reason to encrypt games at this point?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Romanticist, Feb 15, 2019.

?

What do you think about the ease of decrypting games?

1. Even if my game being hacked is inevitable, I'd still like to make my files as secure as possible.

36 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. Leaving the game data "open source" allows for modding and reference material for aspiring creators.

8 vote(s)
    17.8%
  3. Other (please explain in thread if you'd like!)

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  1. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @BK-tdm : That happens to even encrypted games. Even AAA games that use Denuvo get cracked and viruses added, usually within 24 hours. Not much you can do except find them and get them taken down as you find them.

2. BK-tdm

BK-tdm Manga Maker Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My point was that its easier to add it to an uncrypted game.

3. TheOneEyedOne

TheOneEyedOne Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'd rather someone went out of their way to steal the files. Then leave them their to be taken.

4. Poryg

Poryg Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If you download from disreputable sources, you have to expect these kinds of things to happen. Encryption has nothing to do with this. If I'm going to infect your game, I couldn't care less about your images or audio. The only thing I care of is injecting the code in your game, either the Javascript one, which is highly inefficient, because Javascript cannot mess around with your PC, or, if I want to be more lethal, directly into the exe file. Editing the exe directly makes any resource protection irrelevant btw.

Marquise* and Aesica like this.
  5. rue669

rue669 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    To do a take down of a Pirated product, do you need to have it copyrighted?

6. Poryg

Poryg Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @rue669 No, you don't need to have it copyrighted, you have automatic copyright for any product you create. And if you mean trademarked instead, then that neither, although it helps.

But you do need either the copyright or the ownership rights to be able to legally take something down through DMCA.

rue669 likes this.
  7. BreakerZero

BreakerZero Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    For my purposes it's an easy call. My development style currently consists of framing scenarios around either contemporary music or stretch goal material (and in some cases both) and then once established I switch it to RTP or an unrestricted equivalency for the scene in question. Because of this (and for obvious reasons) I have made a point to encrypt all my exports in case I ever forget to delete my reference tracks after the export is done.

EDIT: I should probably give you an example of what I mean. My project (which for reasons is being recast for relaunch under a new identity following the decision to cancel my original concept) has a scene where you basically have to shut down a corruption machine. This was framed in two layers: one is a contemporary reference (think Peter Gunn or Mission Impossible) and the other for the purpose of stretch goals (like if I targeted Switch and convinced someone to support a Metroid crossover). From there I build out the entire mission from objective A to the evacuation sequence, and once everything checks out I switch to RTP assets or similar for the actual deployment package.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  8. Prescott

Prescott argggghhh Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm going to encrypt most things in my project because I made a lot of it and paid for a lot of it. I'm also going to be offering a version of the game on Steam and Itch.io that needs to be paid for, that comes with some extra content and will have more content in the future. For that reason, it definitely needs to be encrypted. I don't want people copying over things to the free version of the game. There are better encryption methods than MV's default which I'll make full use of. I know it'll still be possible to pirate and nab things but the harder it is to break without being intrusive, the better.

There are certain things I'm leaving open though, such as the Difficulty config file and the master text file containing all of the text in the entire game (to allow for translations). I want the players to have as much modding capability of THEIR version of the game as possible. They bought it, so they should be able to decide what they do with it, as long as that does not mean stealing assets or distributing content that was paid for.

Marquise* and Engr. Adiktuzmiko like this.
  9. BreakerZero

BreakerZero Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Go big or go home, basically. And which is why I intend to encrypt all of my assets where possible because of this - even if I go non-commercial because of jokes or gags that don't quite work on a for-pay model in relation to an indie product (or if I decide that having a stronger partner for distribution is far better than not because of it). I mean, completing the tutorial segment with Bald Mountain as the set piece only to follow it up with a Rickroll gag is probably out of range in terms of the average indie games budget.

Not that I'm any kind of legal expert of course, so don't quote me on that. But you get the idea when it comes to mainstream contemporary references and the relevant material thereof.