Is there any video on how to create original sprites?

yuhwell

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So, hello! I'm new on using RPG Maker for developing games and I'd really love to create my own sprites (characters). I'd like to create something different than the normal RPG Maker MV's art style. You know, something made by myself, kinda similar to games like Ib or Mogeko Castle. I've seen a few threads with the same question as mine, but I cannot understand well only by reading. Does anyone know if there is some sort of video showing a person drawing their own sprites so I can follow along more easily? Thankss a lot, everyone!

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
My experience is all pixel art based, but sprites in RM are still usually pixel art anyway so it's probably what you want. I'm a bit worried though, if you don't have any experience in art or in pixel art in particular, animation isn't the best place to start. I have a fair amount of experience and I still find animation to be a bit tricky. It might be better to start with an existing base and work from there instead.

Still, here's a few links.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3DZ93Nbou0F4P85Xnq4Ogw/videos - It's not a tutorial but I think there's almost as much you can learn from a timelapse. He's got a few to choose from. Unfortunately his anatomy is a bit weak, but everything else is really great, there's a lot you can learn from these.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ricosushi/videos - Another set of timelapses. It's always bothered me how he doesn't ever do the final clean up pass on his artwork, but he's very, very good at what he does and improves quickly because he works hard at it. He's especially talented in animation, and there are a lot of good examples to choose from.

https://www.youtube.com/user/atMNRArt/videos MortMort's style is a bit simple, but he knows his stuff and can explain it very well. He's a good place to start for a beginner.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC08QfQDLAd9D7aYPFgBUIng/videos Haven't had a chance to check this out, but I recognize the art, he's done some good stuff. Seems to be worth a look.

yuhwell

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Omg, thank you so much for all the material and references! It'll be extremely helpful to me. In fact, I'm gonna create the first character with your name! If someday my game goes all famous and you see a character named SHARM, you'll remember this ^^

dnel57

dnel57
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So, hello! I'm new on using RPG Maker for developing games and I'd really love to create my own sprites (characters). I'd like to create something different than the normal RPG Maker MV's art style. You know, something made by myself, kinda similar to games like Ib or Mogeko Castle. I've seen a few threads with the same question as mine, but I cannot understand well only by reading. Does anyone know if there is some sort of video showing a person drawing their own sprites so I can follow along more easily? Thankss a lot, everyone!
[/QUOTE.

Last edited:

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@yuhwell I appreciate the sentiment, but I'd rather not. Sharm is actually the name of one of my characters, I just borrow it for my internet nickname.

yuhwell

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
oh I understand ;u; thanks still ^^

yuhwell

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
thank youu so much!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

My only regret is the portal mirror effect is too subtle to show up in these GIFs. It probably just needs more sparkles. :LZSwink:
Microsoft: Hey, let's waste money advertising the Xbox Series X when nobody has any in stock, we don't seem to be making more, we aren't taking preorders and you can't get on a waiting list. BEST. IDEA. EVER.
So I'm practicing ITC with a spirit box, and decide to try to contact my deceased soulmate. It actually gave me multiple identifiers. Me, still a bit skeptical, asked aloud "Fine but does he still love me?" and the box spoke and printed the word "Forever" at the same time. Been a mess of tears since. :kaocry:
Been scratching away at my game and making progress, but just had a revelation. I'm working in full screen and adjusting all my pictures accordingly, but will they resize if someone's screen is smaller?? I hope this doesn't turn out to be a problem later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
confessors