Is there any way to connect my non-steam version of MV to steam?

HighTyrol

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am not very optimistic about this problem but I thought it was worth a try.

The steam version of MV makes it a lot easier to collaborate with others who also have a copy of it. But I bought it from the Kadokawa website over a year ago and I don't have the steam version. I have the original email where I was given my rpg maker key and a download link for the editor and my DLCs. I had heard rumors that i you have the non-steam version of MV you can get a steam copy for no extra cost. But I have no idea if that it true or how to do it if it is. I have spent a few hours poking around the Kadokawa rpg maker website and I haven't been able to find a way to do it. If anyone can help me or knows that my quest is pointless, please let me know. I don't really want to have to buy another copy of MV.

JamesRyan

Game Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I remember I heard somewhere that when you purchase the MV on RPG Maker website, you can also use it as a Steam key. Try to enter the key into Steam to see if it works.

Piyan Glupak

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
The good news is there is - I bought my MV a while ago for a Windows PC from the RPG Maker website. I went for Linux Ubuntu and tried to buy a copy for Linux via Steam. I couldn't work out why they wouldn't process the payment, so I mucked around on Steam and found that you can register software bought elsewhere. I entered the Key I got from the RPG Maker website, and it worked like a charm! I have MV back without the hassle of Windows.

The bad news is that you may need to hunt around a bit on Steam for the option to register software bought elsewhere. It isn't as prominent as the option to buy from them.

Edit: Just looked at my Steam account. There is a "ADD A GAME" link near the bottom that gives 3 options. I think it is the "Add a non-Steam game" option that you want, but it might possible be the "Activate a product on Steam" one - I don't remember. Once you get past a certain point, I remember it as being fairly easy to do.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
"Activate a product on Steam"
that is the correct option, and also available through the small menu line on top of Steam

It only works for keys that are intended to be used there - like purchased from a steam reseller or RMMV from this website

JamesRyan

Game Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Look at the steam head bar, click on "Games/Activate a product on Steam" and enter the key.

Prescott

argggghhh
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I had no idea this feature was available! Does anyone know if it will be like this for MZ?

JamesRyan

Game Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I had no idea this feature was available! Does anyone know if it will be like this for MZ?
MZ should be the same. I think there is no reason to remove it.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It was like this for MV because they could not get a standalone Mac version, so people who bought on the web store, who owned a Mac, could only run the Steam version. If they have resolved that issue, the same thing may not work for MZ.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

It's my birthday! :kaoluv: Also, Cupcake is done and out(ill post about it in a couple of days, busy today)
Not to be greedy, but if anyone happens to have VX Ace or MV Resource steam keys that I don't have, lying around, I'd be happy to take them off your hands.
Got accepted into the architecture degree. Now I have all the doubting questions. Have to give them an answer in the next few days.
Just realized I have a few Steam gifts floating around. Anyone need RPG Maker MV or XP (Steam only)? Send me a message and I will send them on over!

EDIT: Just an RPG Maker MV gift remaining! XP has been taken.
*when you can do the Unity tutorials, but when you actually try and convert it to your own knowledge, it fails horribly*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guhh