Is there anyways for an event to understand if player looks it

lPlayerl

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
I will make a horror game and there will be a monster that will attack if user doesnt look at it and if there is a way for an event to understand when player looks it would be really good. :)

NeoPGX

~ King of Cuteness ~
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (US)
Primarily Uses
N/A
I will make a horror game and there will be a monster that will attack if user doesnt look at it and if there is a way for an event to understand when player looks it would be really good. :)
Just to clarify, is this monster something like the Boos from Mario games?

They approach and (when close enough) attack the player when the player isn't looking in their direction.

But when the player does, they will stop moving.

lPlayerl

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Just to clarify, is this monster something like the Boos from Mario games?

They approach and (when close enough) attack the player when the player isn't looking in their direction.

But when the player does, they will stop moving.
Yes it is

NeoPGX

~ King of Cuteness ~
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (US)
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yes it is
It may be possible to do a "simplified" version of what you want using a series of layered conditional branches that serves as checks and have it loop constantly so it checks for the information every single frame.

Though the problem is that it will cause the monster to stop whenever the player is looking in the opposite direction the monster is regardless of rather the player can actually see it . There is NO way for the game to know if the player is actually looking directly at it.

lPlayerl

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
It may be possible to do a "simplified" version of what you want using a series of layered conditional branches that serves as checks and have it loop constantly so it checks for the information every single frame.

Though the problem is that it will cause the monster to stop whenever the player is looking in the opposite direction the monster is regardless of rather the player can actually see it . There is NO way for the game to know if the player is actually looking directly at it.
Ow ok no problem thanks!

zzmmorgan

I've used punchcards
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can set a variable to the player's Map X position and one to the Map Y and the same for the monster. Then set a variable for the player's direction. Some coordinate math on the positions to compare the positions so if say the player is at 4, 2 and the monster is at 4, 5 and the player is direction is to the right then they're looking at the monster....
1601333824965.png

You would want that in a parallel event so if there's more than one monster it'll start getting complex as you don't want a bunch of parallel events on a map so you'd have to have a common event running parallel checking the player's position against each monster then setting a variable for the closest monster then each monster event would have to be triggered by the variable....

lPlayerl

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Thank you I will only use one monster:XP1:

Eliaquim

Hakuen Studio
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese - Br
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hi!
You have a lot of ways to check this, and my method can be improved too. But I will give you a start:

As you can see, it will be a matter of changing the event id's, if you want to check multiple events.
I think the default editor can be a little messy, but I choose to do it that way because it's easier to explain.

Hope it helps :)

lPlayerl

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Hi!
You have a lot of ways to check this, and my method can be improved too. But I will give you a start:

As you can see, it will be a matter of changing the event id's, if you want to check multiple events.
I think the default editor can be a little messy, but I choose to do it that way because it's easier to explain.

Hope it helps :)
Thanks so much!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! What are you thankful for? I'm thankful that I no longer have PTSD, and that I get to enjoy a good meal with my mom and stepdad! It might not be the same as before COVID, but at least I still get to enjoy the holiday!

Made another map, this one even has a cool moving waterfall. I'll have an animated GIF later whenever I'm done adding stuff. :LZSwink:
Back here again?! RPG MAKER, I can't quit you. :kaosigh:
um... why didn't anyone tell how easy it is to add motions to Sideview battlers? I literally copied the last one, changed the name and index, said where it should play, and boom... I've got intro motions.
Lately when I listen to 1970s songs, I always think that the "real world" is still at mid 70s. What we experience now is a futuristic dream. With this point of view, even 80s and 90s looks super futuristic. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheRozman