Is this legal? If so...I'm really surprised...

Status
Not open for further replies.

djDarkX

Retro & Remastered Music Guru
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Music
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Um, Konami...what are you doing...

Are they allowed to do this?  In case you're wondering what's going on, they re-created VX/Ace graphics almost 1:1 at a higher resolution to be used in an RPG for Android.  I'm PRETTY sure this isn't allowed, but any staff members want to clarify this?  Thanks a bunch.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.srrngames.ash1gold

EDIT:

By the way, it's a commercial title too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
VNM
Wow that's one blatant copy.

.................Konami, seriously???

Mako

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Geez they don't even attempt to hide it...

djDarkX

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Music
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, exactly.  Now you see why I had to post this.  I'm still stunned.  To think that a big company like Konami would do something like this is just...wow.  Anyway, consider this thread as a report of breach of copyright.

seita

Donn_M
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Konami's mobile division most likely. Plus, I can't imagine the higher ups would have let them do this if they knew about it~ Someone has to bring it up to Degica.

Jonnie91

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm sure that Enterbrain got hold of them and gave them the ability to help develop or test an Android version of RPG Maker, and this is the first game results....

I mean this is freaking Konami...they can't be that foolish to think it wouldn't be noticed 0_0 

djDarkX

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Music
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm sure that Enterbrain got hold of them and gave them the ability to help develop or test an Android version of RPG Maker, and this is the first game results....

I mean this is freaking Konami...they can't be that foolish to think it wouldn't be noticed 0_0 
You'd be surprised...

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Konami's mobile division most likely. Plus, I can't imagine the higher ups would have let them do this if they knew about it~ Someone has to bring it up to Degica.
Not exactly - I went to konami's official website, and even in their mobile game area there is no mention of that game "Ash" anywhere...

It might be that someone not only copied the grafics from Degica, but also uses the name "Konami" without official sanctioning...

Or in other words someone claimed to be Konami for the google apps shop without being Konami, just as a prodection against claims (which small distributer would go up against a big company, and many users would automatically think "if it's from <big company>, it has to be licensed"

The links to konami support in the google shop are also wrong, and the games listed as from "Konami Digital Entertainment" on Google Play do not include their big sale mobile games listed on their own website - all indications that this sale/shop is not really from Konami, but from someone else

vision_bond

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
I saw this a few months ago, and wondered the same.
Then after a little search, I founded that the original game was indeed made with rpg maker. But it was made by a company named SRRN.
A review of the original can be seen HERE.

Then, a year later the same company remade all the art, for the iOS and Android version.
A review of the remake can be seen HERE.

Now, In the Play Store it says it's from Konami Digital Entertainment, but they just published the game.
So, to answer the question. It is indeed legal.

djDarkX

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Music
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Still not legal because the RTP graphics in any way, shape or form, as understood by claims made by staff, cannot be used outside of RPG Maker engines.  Being that RPG Maker engines are not ported to either of those mobile platforms, they were "recreated" in a new engine, thus not legal.

Correct me if I'm wrong, however.

seita

Donn_M
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Using the RTP graphics as a base to create your own, according to every sprite artist I've consulted on here is basically stealing and is probably a violation of the engine. So djDarkX is right~ Also considering the fact that the engine in its current form cannot port to other platforms without heavy modification (which also breaks the EULA). So either they are using another engine which is illegal or they ported the engine, which is probably illegal depending on how they did it. Either way, the art is a violation.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Still not legal because the RTP graphics in any way, shape or form, as understood by claims made by staff, cannot be used outside of RPG Maker engines.  Being that RPG Maker engines are not ported to either of those mobile platforms, they were "recreated" in a new engine, thus not legal.

Correct me if I'm wrong, however.
no, you're not - and the fact that that google shop most likely has nothing to do with Konami, but only uses that name "Konami" as a possible additional copyright infringement against the real Konami (nothing in that shop fits with the mobile game lists of the real Konami website, and the so-called "Link to Konami Support" ends 404) is another indication that this is illegal

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Swiper, no swiping! D:<

Looks pretty bad on Konami to be publishing it, even if it's just because of carelessness. Hopefully someone at the company can get that resolved.

Edit: didn't even see the illegitimate "Konami" brand until after posting. Man, that's just... lame. Super lame.

vision_bond

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
Well, that's interesting. I didn't think of that.

It's obvious that rpg maker don't have an Android or iOs version.

I don't know what kind of port they made.

At first I thought that porting the engine to Android or iOS was alright.

But it seems that either way is illegal: If they used a new engine or if they ported the rpg maker engine.

djDarkX

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Music
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for the varous replies everyone.  I figured I'd bring this up since it's blantly illegal and an obvious violation of the EULA.  If I were both Konami & Enterbrain, I'd be rightly pissed.  The interesting thing is that this wasn't the only game to have RTP graphics.  At least these were..."redone", but others have them copied 1:1, albiet in crappy quality.  Even Celianna got ripped off and I tipped her on said title so she can get that sorted out asap.

~*keeps an eye out*~

Arin

Tonight...we dine...in-oh a piece of candy!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Fraglspock
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's not like their reputation would be hurt, anyway. Yugioh is enough of a crapfest as is.

Jonnie91

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
no, you're not - and the fact that that google shop most likely has nothing to do with Konami, but only uses that name "Konami" as a possible additional copyright infringement against the real Konami (nothing in that shop fits with the mobile game lists of the real Konami website, and the so-called "Link to Konami Support" ends 404) is another indication that this is illegal
Although, if you look on the SRRN's site Ash 2 is published by Konami, albeit the sequel is completely custom built, it could be very simply a misspelling on the developers part when publishing it. 

There could be LEGAL reason to the mis-spelling of Konami's website, as there are other games, that could very well have been released by them! 

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, regarding the Konami publisher on there... They do have an X-Men port on there. If for no other reason than Disney is crazy litigious, I'd think that means it's actually a publication of some mobile division of Konami. I don't think they'd let that stay up very long. lol

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Although, if you look on the SRRN's site Ash 2 is published by Konami, albeit the sequel is completely custom built, it could be very simply a misspelling on the developers part when publishing it. 

There could be LEGAL reason to the mis-spelling of Konami's website, as there are other games, that could very well have been released by them! 
Then why aren't Konami's other mobile games there, especially not the ash2 or the big brands?

No matter what the case is for ash 2, that "Konami" site on Google Play is most probably NOT from Konami, wouldn't be the first time that someone hijacks the name of a big company to hide illegal use.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Then why aren't Konami's other mobile games there, especially not the ash2 or the big brands?

No matter what the case is for ash 2, that "Konami" site on Google Play is most probably NOT from Konami, wouldn't be the first time that someone hijacks the name of a big company to hide illegal use.
All the more reason to bring up the issue with Konami's people then, isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Stuffing three people in a room and thinking they'll study together is so wrong XD I don't get how people do group studies. We just end up gossiping about everything except studying lol
Been parallax mapping nigh all night. :D
2nd character based on the same random inputs
the coffee shop i go to for open mic every friday only has 2 more open mics left and then they're done :'( i'm gonna die!
Everytime someone says Intel "kabylake" I hear either baby lake or ladycake.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dudebro