Is This Legal ??

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by ??????, Oct 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ??????

?????? Diabolical Codemaster Veteran

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So...

Basically I am questioning the legality of this : HERE. - It is a custom game.exe file that launches the game.

Am I allowed to use such a thing? Are there conditions attached to the legal use of such a thing? Has I done gone broke the law by simply uploading that small project ? Answers to these questions along with other official information you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I wasn't sure where to post this topic, so apologies if it needs moved :)

2. Gothic Lolita

Gothic Lolita YouTube Starlet Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've seen a lot of these .exe files, so it should be legal.
    The Icon you can change for sure.
    Else I don't see any huge configurations. ;) (\s/)
    The script itself doesn't work in a standard clean .exe, so you mean really modded .exe...
    Guess that may be illegal to the straight lined RPG Maker eula, but not sure. /)

3. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Cheeky Moon, just because you see something a lot, doesn't mean it's legal.

Sorry Dekita that I have no answers for you.

4. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yea, you can use resource hacker to change icons, but that is not ideal in the slightest...

Script doesnt work? Which script do you mean?

And no, not really modded. Its a new exe written 'from scratch' (I got some basic code from some Chinese sources) in visual studio 2013. Eventually, it will work much differently compared to how it does now - for example, the copy I included there doesnt do anything with the RGSS3A file (the encrypted data file) - which I am sure is what would cause the TOS breach.

Realistically, I will be writing my own encryption system eventually, so I have no need to get the rgss3a data; however, that is fully possible... Judging from the old code I used as reference its completely possible to include the encrypted file data...

and no worries Mlogan :)

5. Caitlin

Caitlin \(=^o^=)/ Kitten shall rule the world!!! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I know jack about some law, but I will use common sense with what I know about company logic.  If you have to rewrite the program to get it to work, they not only will not like it, but consider it breaking their eula.  If you do not have to rewrite anything and it's an external program, it's likely okay.  Namely, because you are not re-writing the program.  I think if you follow that logic, it should be easy to figure out if something is illegal or not. 

6. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yea... but just cause a company doesn't like something, doesn't mean it actually breaks their TOS. :p

7. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm not a lawyer either, and also no employee of Degica, but one thing is obvious: The RTP is only licensed to be used with the RM engines, which means an engine/game.exe written by someone else cannot legally use the RTP data.

If you're using everything custom (tiles, sprites, sounds, animations, and so on) then that might be legal as long as that engine wasn't made by decompiling the original game.exe. Don't take my word for it as it still is somewhat difficult to see the limits of that process, and to determin if that alternative game.exe was written without hacking (that it can't access encrypted archives does indicate that only legal sources were used, but you can't confirm that).

8. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Nah, I havent touched the default exe, unless you count deleting it :p

I have however been doing a crap load of research into various ways of umm, 'controlling' data within RM and also into passing new data into RM. From what I can figure out, the default exe doesnt really do much except read the encrypted data etc.

The RGSS301.dll deals with all the insertion of all hidden classes and modules into the game engine. IMO - that is the only part of the system that I think would be enough to breach the eula/tos. Of course though, my opinion doesn't really matter in terms of legality.

And yea Andar, my games are usually devoid of all RTP resources, it would however be nice to retain the ability to use such resources should I so choose.

Do you think - if need be - if I sent someone at Degica my exe's source code - that would be enough for them to confirm it doesnt do anything it shouldnt? dunno if that would be enough for them though, as code can always be altered and recompiled...

9. BigEd781

BigEd781 undefined method 'stupid_title' found for nil:NilC Veteran

First Language:
    Dothraki
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I've seen a lot of drug dealers on my street, so selling drugs must be legal.

I've seen many cars blowing red lights on right turns, so it must be legal.

I've seen... see what I'm getting at here?

I believe that it is against the spirit of their TOS: http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/support/information/eula

That said, it's not 100% clear to me because of the definition of "The Software":

If "The Software" is defined only to be the *editor* itself, i.e., not the executable (game.exe) *generated* by the editor software... then I suppose it would be ok. Of course, IANAL, so I really can't say any more than that.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2014
    Bonkers likes this.
  10. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @BigEd - I did not reverse engineer, de-compile nor dissassemble the software.

I'm just about to go to the store, but i will happily explain the steps when I return. Like, I strongly feel that this exe does not cause any sort of breach.. Especially with the three terms you just listed.

11. BigEd781

First Language:
    Dothraki
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Your link is to a file that I'm not going to download. I assumed that you meant a custom game.exe file. If you're actually talking about another executable that calls game.exe then I can't see how that could be against their EULA.

12. ShinGamix

ShinGamix DS Style 4Ever! Veteran

First Language:
    April Fools
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Isn't Touchfuzzy a legal Eagle? Wouldn't he know?

13. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yes, but he hasn't replied to this topic. ???

14. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @BigEd - Sorry for the delay..

Yes, the file i linked to IS a custom game.exe. Actually, its a small project containing a few graphics, some noises, font, data folder and an exe.

The custom exe does NOT call the normal exe (the normal exe is not included in the project). What is does is this:

1 - create a normal default win32 application

2 - creates pointers to functions in rgss301.dll

3 - calls said functions from rgss301.dll to initialize the game and engine.

As you can see, no debugging/decrypting/de-compiling or nothing.

Edit:

Its essentially performs very similar functions as a recent dll of mine, cept  written in a win32 application...

Said dll can be viewed in this small project : https://www.dropbox.com/s/05snb0kp0t8ydo9/for%20venka.exe?dl=0

15. Tsukihime

Tsukihime Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    "Calls said functions in rgss301.dll" is the result of what is called "reverse engineering"

16. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    According to wiki :

Calling a function isn't quite extracting any knowledge.. imo, its the equivalent of saying 'do that thing you already know how to do' compared to the disallowed 'do this new thing that replicates what that other thing does'..

Also - if you are right (which you could be, I am honestly not fully sure) then that makes my recent dll also illegal? ...

17. Tsukihime

First Language:
    English
    Take one step back: how did you figure out how to call the functions?

Sailerius likes this.
  18. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Google baby!! ;)

MarikuJunrei likes this.
  19. Tsukihime

First Language:
    English
    Unless I'm missing something, the RGSS DLL is undocumented and closed-source.

For example, I have no idea how the DLL works or what to call, and when I go to the help document I don't see anything about it.

The only way I can imagine finding out how it works without simply asking the RM devs is to engage in reverse engineering, or to get someone else to reverse engineer it and have them tell me how it works.

Sailerius likes this.
  20. BigEd781

First Language:
    Dothraki
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Using that DLL would be considered reverse engineering, so now you have your answer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.