Is using community made resources cheating?

Zyble

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So I got the RPG Maker MV because it was on sale on Steam.
I'd been waiting for it to come on sale for a while.

And of course, I want to make a game. But I want to make a decent attempt at it. Learn some things to make it the best I can make.

But do people think that using Plugins made by others is cheating? I don't want people to look down on the game I want to make because I've thrown some Plugins in that I didn't make. Surely, if you can code a plugin but you've found one that already does want you want it to do, it makes sense to use that one right?

Same with other resources like tilesets and audio. Many people have made resources for the game. Even with giving due credit, would people just think "Pffft, this guy used that 'tileset' by 'this guy'. He should have made his own. Crap game 0/10."

Or "I've heard that sound effect in all the other MV games. Bad game."

I'm one guy, so doing everything from scratch would take a very long time. But I know some things will have to be made from scratch. But to the stuff that can already serve my needs. Would people think I'm lazy and bad for using them?

Apologies if this a stupid question but it is a concern of mine.

XIIIthHarbinger

Part Time Super Villain
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't think it's an issue, so long as you give proper credit.

Personally, I made an initial personal set of icons for my current project, which any of the pieces that weren't made from DLC or other people's resources, I shared right here on these forums. & when I make the improved final version, any of the pieces I made or are derived from the RTPs, I'll share here as well.

If someone finds them useful for their own game, & used them I wouldn't think any less of them; after all that possibility is why I shared them in the first place.

Ms Littlefish

Dangerously Caffeinated
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't see how this could possibly be cheating. Is it possible to get fatigue of seeing something again and again? Yes. But, as someone who makes free resources, and I think a lot of other people who make free resources would agree; we really want you to enjoy and use our resources. It's rare that someone is a jack of all trades, and even the absolute pro-i-est of professionals reuse materials and find assistance. It's good to challenge yourself to do new things, but I've never in my life looked down on someone who knows their limits and gets outside help and I think only people who are at least a little bit ridiculous and have zero experience making a game would do so.

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh, I have no doubt that you'll find people who tell you that using premade resources is cheating - but if someone tells you that, simply ask them "How many games have they completed?". I guarantee you that the answer is always zero.

Because people who tell you that don't understand how much work it is to create resources - the only games that use 100% original resources are games with a full team (a dozen or so people at minimum) behind them that work fulltime on game development - and then they usually only get one game every other year, because it takes them two years to create everything.

Last edited:

GoodSelf

Zhu Li! Do the thing!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The people in this community work hard to make contributions to all of us. Endless free (incredible) music, gorgeus resources, and game-defining plugins, all made by people to help others make their dreams come to life.

I have no doubt that you will also make an impact here, and I'm looking forward to that.

Best of luck in making your game!

Zyble

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Oh, I'll have no doubt that you'll find people who tell you that using premade resources is cheating - but if someone tells you that, simply ask them "How many games have they completed?". I guarantee you that the answer is always zero.

Because people who tell you that don't understand how much work it is to create resources - the only games that use 100% original resources are games with a full team (a dozen or so people at minimum) behind them that work fulltime on game development - and then they usually only get one game every other year, because it takes them two years to create everything.
That's a good point. I'm going to be working on this game solo. And I have no prior experience making Video Games.
It sounds like if I made everything my self, working on the game part time. It would take a decade. I'd give up in a month of trying haha.

I don't see how this could possibly be cheating. Is it possible to get fatigue of seeing something again and again? Yes. But, as someone who makes free resources, and I think a lot of other people who make free resources would agree; we really want you to enjoy and use our resources. It's rare that someone is a jack of all trades, and even the absolute pro-i-est of professionals reuse materials and find assistance. It's good to challenge yourself to do new things, but I've never in my life looked down on someone who knows their limits and gets outside help and I think only people who are at least a little bit ridiculous and have zero experience making a game would do so.
Nice to know even pro's are cool with using other people's resources

I don't think it's an issue, so long as you give proper credit.

Personally, I made an initial personal set of icons for my current project, which any of the pieces that weren't made from DLC or other people's resources, I shared right here on these forums. & when I make the improved final version, any of the pieces I made or are derived from the RTPs, I'll share here as well.

If someone finds them useful for their own game, & used them I wouldn't think any less of them; after all that possibility is why I shared them in the first place.
I guess if I made some resources. I'd want to to share them as well. And then I'd want people to use them too. And I wouldn't think any less of them for using it because I made them. If I use someone's resources, they wouldn't look down on me because I'm using what they made.

Zyble

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The people in this community work hard to make contributions to all of us. Endless free (incredible) music, gorgeus resources, and game-defining plugins, all made by people to help others make their dreams come to life.

I have no doubt that you will also make an impact here, and I'm looking forward to that.

Best of luck in making your game!
Thanks for the word of encouragement. Need to get a notepad today and start taking notes on what I want. Going in head first with no prep is a bad way to go.

Ms Littlefish

Dangerously Caffeinated
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Zyble, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can use the "Edit" function on your posts to add additional information you've forgotten or respond to multiple people. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

If you have more people to reply to or new comments, edit your previous one. :)

GoodSelf

Zhu Li! Do the thing!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, definitely get all your ideas in order. I recommend starting very small, like, 10-15m small.
You want to ease yourself in to the engine, and experiment more than anything. Also starting something small can really help you get started the right way, and build up from there.

Going back on topic, don't let your perception of materials and resources stop you from using them in your game. I Encourage you to pick up these plug-ins and resources and tinker with them, especially if they are something you plan to make yourself down the road.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Nope, it's not cheating at all. That's what they're there for. There are still going to be advantages with doing everything yourself but it's not likely going to be enough to make it worth it. Do original where you can when it makes the most sense.

Most of the backlash you're likely to receive would be from keeping things vanilla. Changing things at all, even to something people have seen before, is going to make a big positive difference.

Ms Littlefish

Dangerously Caffeinated
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's another really great point @GoodSelf. When we're trying to learn new things or add our own personal touches to our games, editing people's materials (if terms allow) can teach you an absolute ton about doing things from scratch. Also, as long as the terms allow editing for personal use, you can still add a lot of "new" to a freely available material. People do it with incredible results and I highly recommend it.

Arcmagik

Game Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Some people will trash you for it. But @Andar is right. Those people probably never completed a game. It isn't easy to complete a game!

kaukusaki

Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Not everyone is lucky enough to have the skill to wear all the hats and do everything custom. (I went to school for graphic design, music production, programming, writing) . so technically i could do it all but i don't have that kind of time lol. My small company does everything in house so it's less work but still it takes time.
There's nothing wrong with using free resources. When i first started out i used the rtp and free sources as templates. For music i read up on editing midi files and wrote my own music.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Usually the people creating assets/code are creating them with the intention of them actually being useful to the overall community (at least that's my intention).

Its like writing a text book tailored specifically for explaining the subject matter of a particularly difficult exam. Then no-one uses it and instead complains about losing too much study time trying to understand said subject matter on their own (not knowing what's even relevant to the exam itself).

Its not cheating to use an exam text book just as its not cheating to use resources painstakingly created by a member of the community. Both were created with the sole intention of cutting back on time that could be used elsewhere, in this case creating the game world/story itself.

OwMeEye

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
N/A
They made it for other people to use, out of love, sweat and (sometimes) tears. So, just accept it for the wonderful gift that it is ^_^

That said, keep in mind that if you want your game to really be successful, then giving it a strong artistic flavor and design, and a wholesome atmosphere is very important!

Silent

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Since most of the people who make all these amazing resources only ask for a shout out or a free copy if you sell it, just remember that it takes more then one person to make a game, pro or not

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I wanna try making my game into an app because that sounds cool but I am so lost on how to :kaocry:
I found some tutorial but they all seem to use an older android studio(2.3.3)? I think the current version is 4.0.1?
is there an updated tutorial or do I need to find a way to get 2.3.3.?
My heart goes out to the family of Cannon Hinnant. Shame on all major news networks in America for not reporting that a 5 year old was executed by a grown man. Absolutely disgusting.
I hope Turkey and Greece can settle on the resources dispute peacefully.
whos hyped for rpg maker mz :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pidogec780