Hayden

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm wondering if this is a bad way to use pictures, or if there's a better alternative.

So, I use Khas Ultra lighting. I also use a lot of tints to help sell the time of day. Blues at night, oranges in the morning and evening, etc.

Sometimes I need t control over fading in and out of scenes, but the normal Fade In commands just aren't good enough because they don't let you set a fade time. It's always 30 frames, I believe.

I know I can use the tint screen command to just set it to black and also choose how many frames it takes. The annoying part is that I always have to make sure I go back to the exact tint that it was before.

Something I've been doing instead is having a 1280x720 image that is pure black. I use a Show and Move picture commands to create my fades with the black image. It then doesn't effect the tints at all. It makes things easier.

Is this a bad way to do it? I do always remember to erase the picture once I'm done using it for the fade so it's not stuck in memory.

If this is an okay way to do it, then a further question is: would it be better to make the black image a really small square, and then just use the size options in RPG Maker to stretch it out to cover the whole screen?

Thanks.

coucassi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I do it the same way as you, just using a black picture and never had any issues with it. I can't imagine could be wrong with it, but I'd be also interested if there is any reason against using this method.

Hayden

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I do it the same way as you, just using a black picture and never had any issues with it. I can't imagine could be wrong with it, but I'd be also interested if there is any reason against using this method.

Yeh, I'm assuming it's fine. I use two separate images as black bars to during cutscenes as well, and that doesn't feel like too much. I suppose as long as we're erasing the pictures afterward it's fine.

Quexp

Lifelong Learner
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Have you considered creating a Common Event for your fade out tint (or for black picture if you go that route)? This would allow you to plug that in instead of having to recreate or copy/paste it every time you need it. You could do another one to fade in.

Kuro DCupu

Trust me, I'm a veteran RMer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Nothing's wrong.
It might irk some people since it's kind of waste or not elegant.
But remember the golden rules back in the day:
No complaints as long as it works~

Quexp

Lifelong Learner
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@coucassi - I recently started using them and, holy cow, what a time saver! Another bonus is that, when changing an animation for getting gold from chests, I only needed to change it in one spot. :D

Hayden

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Mate, since I posted this thread, I found this tutorial here:

Check it out. It uses common events and the end result means you can change the fade duration to however many frames you like.

Have you considered creating a Common Event for your fade out tint (or for black picture if you go that route)? This would allow you to plug that in instead of having to recreate or copy/paste it every time you need it. You could do another one to fade in.

Never thought of that. Great idea, actually. I can just set different tints up in common events for times of the day and that'll make it a lot easier!

coucassi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
And again I am amazed of how much awesome stuff one can find here : D

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Maldra wrote on stramin's profile.
Hi regarding the 32 bit -> 64 bit
I am running on a 64 bit windows OS and tried doing this conversion. I converted all of the .exe files that I could find in the KADOKAWA\RPGMV folder using the 4gbpatch.exe file. However, after trying to access RPG Maker MV after this conversion, it simply will not load. Do you have any advice or any ideas?
****ing muscle memory: does anyone else habitually quit out of test play when they notice something they """HAVE""" to fix, in spite of the fact that you can now edit DURING test play?

...thousands of times...

...every day?
Does anyone recognize him? :kaocry:
pwkyiDa.jpg

And hi.
finally drew 3 of the enemies that appear as students from the high school that's in my game.
Finnuval wrote on ShuBun-Kin's profile.
Loving the avatar :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NaughtyPoncho