dreamfall887

Sun Spirit
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I still use VX ACE and I would say it's still worth using. There are tons of great scripts and resources (sprites, tilesets) that are available online for free. :)

ts50

Romantic Rationalist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Unfortunate that Ace is losing support since it is still my favorite engine. I haven't bought MZ but I definitely like Ace more than MV (and I am pretty sure MZ is supposed to be very similar). Once again, lots of great resources still available.

Biggest issue I have with it is platform support... Ace is only available on Windows and can only export to Windows. MV+ is Mac/Linux compatible. If you plan on publishing your game, MV/Z could be good to use for the Apple/Linux versions, but Windows is still by far the biggest gaming OS.

Zero_G

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Personally I like the sprites and tilesets of ACE better than MV/MZ

Last edited:

RCXDan

Champion of Brightmoon Tor
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hello, I have RPG Maker VX Ace, and now most people don't support Ace. You don't get the same plugins as MV or MZ. Is it still worth it?

100%. It's because Ace has such a tremendous amount of legacy content that I can help people efficiently when they look for scripts to use in this engine.

Juanita Star

Witch of compilations.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVX
I changed from Vx to Ace a few months back, so yeah xD Im in love with the FSM sprites and that is a cheaper option.

I say is worth it if you have what you need (the scripts, tiles, etc). The community did an amazing job creating resources to use that are still online, so...

Shiro-chan

Friendly Neighbourhood Neppy Maid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If you make a new project, I'd recommend starting in MZ. VX Ace is great, but it's also aging and on some systems it's already stopping to work correctly. MZ can be changed to support a tilesize of 64x64 with a plugin, so you can theoretically use Ace's assets (which are intended for 32x32) since the scale factor is exactly 2, so there wouldn't be any quality loss.

But all that said, if you have a longterm project already going that's in Ace, I'd instead recommend trying to finish it since porting can be quite the challenge.

IvanForever

Xir Xir
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I own all of the RPG Maker versions, and the answer to your question is yes, absolutely. I personally think VXA is one of the best RM versions for reasons that MV/MZ doesn't have. It all depends on what you want to achieve (for example), and some things VXA does (catering to more people using older machines, or less lag to even people using the later machines) is not possible with MV/MZ games. And vice versa, MV/MZ have their own reasons.
In some situations, VXA would be the best engine, and in some others MV/MZ would be the best. I work mostly with both VXA and MV/MZ these days, switching between projects and engines. One project is best for VXA and another is best of MV/MZ. VX Ace is a light engine and runs smoothly for a lot of people I know. It all depends on what you want to value for a particular project. I personally wished some MV projects were built in VXA and vice-versa. There's still a great community of VXA users and support, despite appearances. :)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Remember to do your 0,01% progress on your game today!
Went to see Jujutsu Kaisen 0 yesterday, it was cool. The movie wasnt really a masterpiece, it had some pacing and characterization problems, but overall I enjoyed it, maybe because it was the first anime film I have ever been to in the cinema lol. The battle animation & music were top-notch. I havent seen much of the anime so people who watched the entire season would probably like it more.
MainMenu.PNG
Finally satisfied with the main menu xD

The plan was to have battle sprites in the menu...But these faces from Ocean's Nostalgia look pretty damn good imo. (Will have to adjust for them ofc and maybe recolor to match the overworld/battle sprites more)
It's always disturbing to me to see my cat eating something off the bathroom floor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leonson