RMMV Isekai Demonica (No Travel Game Jam)

Mrs_Allykat

Failsauce
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Logo 3.png

Introduction:
The demon world, Demonica, has had it's fair share of troubles, but, now, it's dealing with a world-wide crisis of epic proportions... A Miasma born through one of the consistently warring kingdoms. In a last ditch effort to turn the tide of this "miasmic" menace, they've taken to summoning a Demon King from another world.

Synopsis:
Isekai Demonica is about another possible, but unproven, victim of Bus-Kun, who is immediately anointed "Demon King." Summoned into the world of demons, which is remarkably like medieval civilizations, the hero (villain?) must quickly deal with a Miasma. This Miasma created a chaotic mess, meaning the newly summoned Demon King will have to slap down ghosts, other demons, dragons, and winged eye things(?) to clear out the Miasma that is turning people, err demons, into monsters.

cyne-icon.png

Characters:

Demon King:
Not his real name of course, but he doesn't have one of those unless you give him one!

Cyne: A summoner demon who ganked someone into being king, nice!

Jeeves: A butler.. A ghost.. A former Demon King?

Fido: A dog. A dragon? A slot-machine?!

Features:
On Screen Combat - This will speed up completing the game.
Skip-able (and miss-able cut scenes) - again, this is mostly to allow the player to zip on through.*
Weapon Upgrades - Yes, this is a feature due to on-screen combat :)

Everything takes place in one city, the capitol of one of the kingdoms (note, it has a port, but the player won't see it until the end!)

This game is complete; however, there may be small bugfixes or tweaks later on.

*Speeding up a playthrough is important for reviewers!
Screenshots:

Screen-1.jpeg
Where did the player go?

2020-04-28T04-44-58-577Z.jpeg
I turn my back on you, silly player.

2020-04-28T04-43-23-457Z.jpeg
Cat summoning 101.

Screen-5.jpeg
The demon only wants to borrow lunch-money.

Screen-4.jpeg
The book is surprised by the player's plot-twist.

Bug Finding
ShadowDragon (Thanks!)

Packs and Assets
FSM Castle and Town Tiles
Pack Creator: REFMAP, Published by Degica Co., LTD

The Adventurer's Journy I, II, III, and Final Adventure
Pack Creator: D.C. Kairi Sawler, Published by Degica Co., LTD

Fantasy Historica Music Pack
Pack Creator: D.C. Kairi Sawler, Published by Degica Co., LTD

Katakura Hibiki: Lords of Darkness Graphic Pack
Pack Creator: Katakura Hibiki, Published by Degica Co., LTD

Wizard Castle Inner Tiles
Pack Creator: Sherman3D, Published by Degica Co., LTD

Heroine Character Generator DLC (Packs I, II, III, IV, V, and VI)
Produced by: (C)2018 - 2020 Gee-kun-soft, Published by Degica Co., LTD

Some Assets by REXARD

Obviously, the base assets by Kadokawa (published by Degica Co. LTD), including MADO, SAKAN, & GENE!

Art Mods and Originals:
Mrs_Allykat
Marquise*

Community Art:
Avery
WhiteDragon (a.k.a. whtdragon)
HiddenOne
Marquise*

Plugins:
Moghunter
Arisu's Dollhouse
SumRndmDde - http://sumrndm.site/
BIUD436
Galv's Scripts
Yanfly - http://yanfly.moe/
Irina - RPG Maker Irina
Olivia - Fallen Angel Olivia
FailSwitch
Fonts by Font Diner, used under OFL (Open Font License) http://scripts.sil.org/OFL

Without the fantastic assets, games don't get made. Thanks to all the asset creators, commercial and community. You're all fantastic, and are the REAL HEROES and HEROINES!

This is a list of bugs that will be addressed in an upcoming update, as time allows.

RC1_1 is a bugfix release, and is a separate download from RC1. RC1 is the "Jam" entry; RC1_1 is for extra polish.

Coming Soon Fixes
  • Roof Graphics Glitch, as noted by @ShadowDragon (99.9% of this list as well) (fixed in rc1_1)
  • HUD for at least the player's HP total. (fixed in rc1_1)
  • Gate Access Issue
  • Gem of Recall / Slot Machine not taking Gold (fixed in rc1_1)
  • Color of Gem of Recall vs. Scroll of Recall (looks fixed in rc1_1)
  • Tweak the castle stairs. (fixed in rc1_1)
  • Save Points (or autosaves) suggested by @Urashima09 (fixed in rc1_1)
  • Keyboard Name Input needed (fixed in rc1_1)
  • Passable tiles after event in first zone. (fixed in rc1_1)

Later Updates
  • A fix for holding the attack button down being over-powered (ShadowDragon)
  • Hint needed for second set of stairs in the sewers (ShadowDragon)

Last edited:

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm play testing it, but when I got 2 keys and go further in the sewer, you come across
a gate which also require a key, but when you interact with it, the gate is open,
but closed after the text message.

make sure you have direction fix on.
also smash the "V" button is also not require if you can hold it. (0% no dmg this way)
but a HUD map is usefull to keep track on your HP.

there are some scriptcalls to make this happen, or variable tracking HUD
like galv, or other on map hud by mog hunter or create your own.
SRD_HUDMaker is also a way to create a custom hud on map.

I report back if I find more issues. but try to fix the gate part and get a on map HUD for HP.

EDIT:
here is another tiny thing you might be able to solve.
visible horns.png
but the game is pretty nice though. :)

EDIT 2:
the Gem of re-call which you can win from the dragon cost 200 gold, but
you can do it constantly and dont lose gold, did you made a mistake here?
you can get endless coins without spending gold or buy it from the girl for 2000 gold.

Last edited:

Mrs_Allykat

Failsauce
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for the catch. I'll get a fix in as soon as I can get some time away from work. :D

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
there is color type, with scroll of recall and ring of recall with the same color (this didn't end)
I beat teh game with the supersword, demoic armor (100% reflection) which did nothing,
armor of health "More health, More win" no HP is added.

didn't pay further on typo's, but if you beat the dragon, you can basicly get the best armor
before going out for killing all the little bosses.

also the castle stairs should be able to walk diagonal down and up,
and the enemies there stays in front of the tile so you get always hit.

so advice/suggestion:
1) dont let V hold for massive attack (this kills the monsters fastwithout losing health
but make it button press, or 30-60frames interval.
2) dragon to feed 200 G, make sure you lose gold, or its easy to obtain the ring,
end gold on my side, over 300k (because of super sword 50k selling)
3)no idea how you get to the stairs in the sewers or supposed like that.
4) fix the roof.

I dont have sound on so I cant tell you about that.
for the rest, its a nice game (beaten in 37 min) (thats my soft bug test result)
hard bug/glitch test would be taken longer.

Urashima09

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Nice game
Pls, add some Autosave/checkpoint system -.-
Just lost my progress a couple of times, when many enemies surrounds me I can't attack for some reason

Mrs_Allykat

Failsauce
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think most of these bugs I should be able to stamp out, I'll have to look hard at the holding the 'V' button down issue since that's all JS. The eve overhang should be super easy, and I think a save crystal of some sort should help the save problem.

Sadly, the money thing is an oversight on my part (rush to get done). This whole "job" thing keeps interfering! Thanks for the soft bug review @ShadowDragon :)

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
save crystals arent need if you can save time to time =)

1) save
2) save often
3)when doubting? SAVE :p that what the pdf said :p

but I agree, there are parts you cant
really attack when 3-4+ enemies around you so you cant get out of the way.
I probably wont do a hard bug test that can break the game down with crash reports.
but its a really good game, soI hope you get nice reviews as well.

in case you polish it better after the jam, you really should, because it makes it really enjoyable,
maybe a bit harder on enemies. more def, harder attack, no turning back when hitten,
or knockback (usefull for bosses with resistance, so you can get hit easier.

but a HUD on map is a specially TODO. Keep it up, I might re-test/re-play when updated.

Gokasy

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Serbian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi @Mrs_Allykat ,

I am new to the community, so I will try to keep it short, hope you don't mind :)

Art and character:

I like the start and the funny, manga like introduction. At the first look, I wish that the second character, next to the Cyne had horns on the character itself and not just in the picture, but it's ok.
the graphic were nice, the battle system is interesting and I like all the treasure chests

Battle:

I like your battle system, the slash and dash animations were fun and I like battling with the enemies.

Overall:

I liked the game, and the graphics and battle system, just would like if you could change the name of the character, because you instructed us at the beginning to give a name, and then denied us the pleasure, and that is the con I have with the game, all in all it is a fun game, and I will try to play and finish it in the near future.

Hope to see more of your games, so keep up the great work!

All the best and keep safe!

Mrs_Allykat

Failsauce
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I put in a few bugfixes as suggested, and I hope to add more later. Again thanks to ShadowDragon for a lot of those. Since this involves our No Travel event, I put the bugfix version up with a different version number. No point in messing up the "purity" of the one month time limit. So, again rc1.zip is the actual event release, and rc1_1.zip is for any subsequent bug-fixes or adding requested features.

@Gokasy Oh it's a little tough putting a name in with MV's default text-input; you'll have to hit escape to backspace.. I think? I will likely poke a yanfly plugin in there at some point in the near future to make it more intuitive. Also, thanks for the feedback! :D

Gokasy

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Serbian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi @Mrs_Allykat ,

Maybe it is best if you can remove the input name, and just leave it as it is, so people will not think they can change it :)

Also, I think I broke you game in the first few minutes by accident xD
You should not allow the player to go up the stairs, if not intended, just use Yanfly Region restriction plugin (I think that was the name of the plugin), and just don't allow player to go up :D

Hope that helps :)

brokegame.PNG

Thank you again, for making an enjoyable game.

Keep safe!

Last edited:

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
if I do hard glitching, breaking games, that would be one of it, I do everything to go through
objects, dissapear gametiles etc or get unilimited game currency.

but also among other things. but there are other ways to block the entrance or impossible
pathway without a plugin, with a simple conditional branch. or tiny event that checks a region
for a map.

Mrs_Allykat

Failsauce
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks @ShadowDragon and @Gokasy I fixed the passable tiles in the "post event" version (rc1_1), I just had the else make the character do a back-step. Next I added Yanfly's key-name-entry plugin, and adjusted the instructions to hopefully make that easier to do as well.

I do appreciate the extra debugging help, and I'll probably have to add a few more lines to the PDF :)

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Mrs_Allykat I retest and see some changes, but in the start, there are still mistakes
and in the sewers :D.

when you are on the stairs (without going to the sewers) you get a message, after that,
you still can go behind it because it doesn't push back.
error1.png

the gatedoor for the 3rd key isn't fixed either (yet)
gate is closed after the dialogue.
error2.png

the bosses are extremely easy when they turn away from you:
after each hit, making it plain easy (on bosses this should be avoided)
specially massive hitting it.
error3.png

to fix bosses or mini bosses, make it more hp, prevent walking away and/or spawn
some enemies around it to protect it (like shielding system) or the likes, after every 1-2 hits,
so smashing upon this doesn't work.

this part is softbug, but I can try to go deeper in hard bug/glitch/breaking game
and see if there is any crash.

fast killing also helps on tiny enemies which also dont have a possible to hit you.

I will see if the other things are fixed and see what more bugs/glitches I come across
during the soft and hard bug testing.

Mrs_Allykat

Failsauce
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Status: Uploading a beta build of the game. (Note: this, again, is a seperate download from the "gamejam" file which is still RC1.)

(EDIT: Note: F7 will save a screenshot into a ScreenShots folder in all versions, was there from the start, just didn't document it)

Wow, I thought I had fixed the first problem. Okay, I changed my approach, and logic, to fix that (changed my logic, and also used region restrictions there). I also changed that third gate's logic.

I put up a beta version, and have tried to also tweak the first boss's mechanics as an experiment. He has a few more hitpoints, I made a change to his behavior after being hit, and on every hit he can spawn "adds." The adds should despawn after he is defeated.

I haven't tackled the holding the button down super-attack mechanic yet, but I will get there. I also noticed that the difficulty curve for the normal monsters aren't increasing in difficulty enough.

@ShadowDragon I seriously can't thank you enough! You are a godsend.

Last edited:

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the conditional brance is easy while you let the player 1 step back, as for the gate,
a simple direction fix, which is unchecked. but I will hard glitch and hard bug test tomorrow
when I got time and report to you (as for the first save point), it has text in front and side
directly, which is better to use when used on TOP of it once :) (depending where its used first).

Mrs_Allykat

Failsauce
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Now that I have a beta-build on the itch server, it'll be faster to upload changes too. I didn't want to overwrite the file that's there due to the "GameJam." Savepoint, and I could check for the player's facing direction for the text with the step on as well. The "beta" is finished it's upload, so it's just as I get time away from work ( I have been working this whole time; no rest for the wicked. )

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
during game play (hard bugtest and glitching (what I like to do), here is one of it :p

hard glitch 1.png

you might think, " how the hell did you that "...... well, that is something I do, break games,
and see what shouldn't be happen if you do stuff, you arent suppose to do.

but this kind of stuff can be prevented, if you hardcode it as well :D
but this is 1 of my secrets, while I playtest 2 nice games and I hard glitch that as well
and hey got pretty stable where its no way to redo the same thing again.

can you do that as well? ^^

PS: sorry for breaking it!

EDIT: here are some minor bugs I found on its way

This lovely glitch can you level fast and easy when pressy V and be afk!
spawn constantly.png
the ghost and the flame spawn constantly after beating this boss.

the other boss with 3 more to go, 2 more go, 1 more to go, 0 more to go
requires 1 more (as 0 counts as 1) to spawn the boss.

the next bug shouldn't be there, but it also spawn on the credit scene a couple of time,
fade in, fade out. as well in the cutscene of creating him.
mistake.png
while he doesn't exist yet!.

there is also 1 suggestion:
when you beat the final boss, you need to spawn or go back to the house where you
come from out of the sewers, than it spawn back to the castle which is better, AFTER
or when interact with the chair (throne) for the cutscene? where Cyne is waiting or the
other guy?

Last edited:

Mrs_Allykat

Failsauce
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@ShadowDragon
Actually, I do think "how in the world did you break that" for the second ladder :p Seriously though, there is nothing to apologize for. You're doing me a favor; you're helping me become better at this hobby. I truly appreciate the time you've spent debugging this project, and hope to carry the 'lessons' learned forward into future projects as well. I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but, thank you!

Having a list of bugs is less like a chore, and more like a learning experience. Besides, it's a great way for me to test the Butler app for incremental updating. So the list of new bugs are the other ladder, constant spawning ghosties, healthbar appearing when the character is hidden, and make the endgame transition smoother.

[Edit: I'm also working on a new mechanic for dealing with the bosses to make them more difficult. I should have a test up this evening where the new mechanic will be used with the countdown werewolf, the one where the counter is off by one. Again, this will be the beta build, which is separate from the game entry for the jam.]

Last edited:

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I didn't got a notifications of this, which is odd.
but breaking that ladder counts for all ladder parts.

there are probably 2 failsafe possible, 1, create a event above that also transfer,
or block it by an empty event "same as character".

but tranfer on the top is simply to break, by going up, down, up, dwn, up down etc
until you break through, while something get "through ON" so to speak, which, if I do
it even harder, I can walk through walls, transfer and still walk through everything
which makes the game more fun :p
but bored later while you can skip alot, walk over water, go where you shouldn't go,
free items or even get -400 gold and counting.

but its not only just simply up and down on ladders(transfer) but there are more things
involved. see it as menu access, multiple buttons, attack etc etc.

walking + attack -> can skip transfer events, if attack is busy, if you trigger alot,
you can hard glitch things easier and among other things.

Normal game play wont encounter many bugs or glitches, unless you find them
and break it to their limit.

But in the end, you can do anything you try, but you remain a stable and smooth
gameplay what everyone wants.
when there is more contant and it is more challenging, hit me up :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I ain't dead btw, just trying to keep up with university :)
Ami
--- Anti-Bear Circle ---

F.Fighter: Shoot! that Bear is really stronger than i expected!
Hero: Don't worry,i perform this (Draw The Big Circle On The Ground)
F.Fighter: What are you doing?
Hero: It's Anti-Bear Circle. the Bear will never attacking u---
(The Bear attacking Hero F.Fighter)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adolion