RMMV Isekai Demonica (No Travel Game Jam)

webgamesetc

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi there!

First off - I laughed the first time I saw your fail sauce profile pic; love that~ good show.

Next - playin' your game (one of my favs), I don't know if you're going back and fixing stuff, or already know about this, or not, or what. Found this along the way, thought you probably meant to close your text color set around "Scroll of Recall". Here's the screen capture:

screenshot.png

That's all for now...

Mrs_Allykat

Failsauce
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@webgamesetc Thanks for the catch, and, yes, I'm going back and fixing things as I have time. Fortunately, I have had a steady stream of actual work throughout this time, so it may take a little bit before I get a new update. We all have to keep food on the table :) (P.S. my significant other came up with the name for my "studio" lol)

@ShadowDragon I'll ping you when I get some more difficulty into the game as well. I'm currently experimenting with added monsters, more HP, a damage shield, and something, erm, special.

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
Wow! I've just realised, once you have made your first game all others seems to go faster ^^

This is cool BTW

(and thanks)

KV_Kingdom

Furry Potato
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Review

This is a game about a random dude who was summoned to be the hero of the demon world. It has the charm and style of an anime, and has custom assets aplenty! I can see that a lot of effort went into it. That said, there are some rough spots still in here, and it's important to heed the advice of "save often." Note that I played this game on version 1.1. Here are my thoughts:

The Good
  • Custom icons, BGM, and menu skin. Me likey!
  • I should add that the menu skin is beautiful and highly detailed.
  • Zooming in when talking is cool. How did you do that?
  • You totally had me going with the potions in the bookcase. Nice touch!
  • Starting equipment is default, but the descriptions are hilarious!
  • The weapon names get better with each iteration. The descriptions continue to be amusing.
  • Spacing out the lore in books that the player can read when they want, instead of frontloading, is smart. I wish more devs would do this!

The Bad
  • Title Screen still says "V. 1.0.0"
  • It may have been said earlier, but the bookcase being a door caught me by surprise. Why do this for an essential point? It would be better to make it clear that the bookcase is a door.
  • No amount of HP is "safe." You can run into a random enemy and suddenly die. It's rather imbalanced.
  • Doors still appear to be open when you talk to them, regardless of whether you have the key or not.
  • The weapons/armor shop doesn't seem to properly account for the possibility that the player can walk behind the counter. 1) You can walk behind it at all; 2) The shop owners don't turn toward you when you talk to them (and the armor person cannot be talked to if you approach from behind)
  • You start with spells, but they are never used.
  • Magic is mentioned at the beginning of the game, but you never get any spells.
  • There should be some indicator that a boss has appeared. Music change, a sound effect, text...something. Please?
  • It appears to be on your to-do list, but I feel I should mention that the bosses are basically bigger versions of your average mooks. Adding a variety of gimmicks to make the player change their approach to fighting them would be a massive improvement!
  • Why did Cyne change her name to Cyan? It comes out of nowhere.
Suggested Improvements
  • Greater weapon variety (I remember seeing something about long-range weapons, but I only ever saw swords).
  • More variety in the weapons' attack animations.
  • More variety in general enemy attack patterns. At present, they all feel very same-y and bland. If you incorporate a projectile mechanic, you could incentivise buying certain kinds of armor to counter them.
  • Why ask the player about giving Jeeves the recall parts? Why not just automatically give them to him?
  • Why have a "Press button" prompt at the end? Maybe just return to title screen after the credits roll. Or better: some additional text, either one last line from the characters, or just "The End!"
Typos
  • "Components" is misspelled when you give Jeeves the recall parts
Soot misspelled.png

Did you mean minotaur.png

On the Lef.png

Taught not tought.png

Typo - I instead of It.png

Conclusion

This game is well-written, and the visual elements have a lot of effort put into them, but the gameplay could use some improvement. To your credit, I hear that making an ABS in RM is a nightmare (I've never tried myself), and the time limits of a game jam make it difficult to perfect any battle system, so the fact that it works as well as it does deserves some respect. I felt bored with it after a while, but I powered through it to get the full story. And while I do have a long list of "The Bad," most of the points are minor inconveniences and did not detract from the fact that this is a delightful work of art.

EuphemiaArtoria

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I spent about 30 or 40 minutes on this, finishing the sewer area and the dragon enemy in the subsequent castle area but wrapping up after that. Sorry, I wanted to play to completion but I'm trying to play as many games as I can from the jam. What I did play left a very lasting impression!

I think my single most favourite, most standout feature, was the camera zoom in cutscenes. I really love this, I don't know that I've really seen it done before, but it looks absolutely great. I love pixel art and the sprites in RMMV are generally so high res that I think they look even better up close. Added emphasis and looked unique. Very cool!

I have a lot of thoughts about the combat. Making an Action RPG is cool, and I can see a lot of effort must have gone in to achieve what's in the demo. I do think there are some very severe constraints enforced by RMMV that make it more difficult. My biggest single criticism is the grid based movement. It feels absolutely lousy to have to move an entire square every time I want to turn around, to be unable to strafe, and to be really limited in dodge or manuever effectively. There are definitely scripts out there that allow for non-grid based movement in RMMV and I really think you should look into them. It's hard to think of other action RPG that features grid based movement. MAYBE Lufia? But certainly not Zelda, Soul Blazer, or other games in this wheelhouse.

Otherwise, the combat has some charm, but I did feel that for all the different enemy appearances, mechanically they all felt very similar. They try to walk into me to hurt me, I cut them up.

I got stuck for ages on the dog/mirror boss because I was sure I had made it stand in front of the mirror and nothing had changed. Even with a good idea of what to do, it was hard to figure out how and where to stand to properly bait the boss (again, grid based movement- if I just let it chase me, I couldn't turn around to hit it at the right moment! If I waited at the right spot, it might not path properly!), and even after that it was hard to tell when I'd done the right thing. Maybe add an audio/visual cue for when the dog is vulnerable, or else expand the area that it's vulnerable?

I wasn't the biggest fan of the writing- the humour didn't totally land with me- but I did like the way it was implemented. The use of an image to show the demon girl's vision was good, and the butler kicking it was really well done.

Overall, very ambitious, especially for a short game jam, and a lot of good ideas!

Mrs_Allykat

Failsauce
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Put up another "beta" build that fixes misspellings ( thanks @KV_Kingdom ). Also removed another instance of magical HP Bar with no character attached. (oops) I'll try to work in more mechanics and other fixes as time allows.
And for the mods, subsequent builds are a separate download from the original "in the time limit" build. I'm trying to cover both bases, since I can't ignore all the valuable feedback.

For the question on "how did I do that" with the screen, I just used a function in MV that's not associated with a button.
Code:
$gameScreen.startZoom(xpos, ypos, amount, frames)
I tossed it in a common event that I called when doing the scenes, and another to reset when the scene was done. It really wasn't anything too special.

Edit: @EuphemiaArtoria I added a purple light that will glow when that boss is in the right spot. Thanks for pointing that out. Also, thanks for playing even though it's not to your taste theme-wise.

Last edited:

hiddenone

Lurker Extraordinaire
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I gave this game a go, though I am playing the first version because I downloaded all the games the day they were due. So apologies if I mention something that was already changed. :rswt
These are my notes as I play, sorry it's not rewritten but there are still so many games I've got to play...

⦁ Why are you using Galv's default menu arrow? You could've made it red, to match the rest of the game's theming

⦁ Why doesn't Jeeves have horns on his sprite?

⦁ All the sprite behaviors are very cute, great addition

⦁ The font is a bit hard to read because of how it's all squeezed together

⦁ Oh, going right from naming the Demon King to having freedom to move around is a bit sudden, having Cyne mention liking the name or something would be nicer

⦁ You can leave the library without speaking to Cyne... Hopefully she didn't have anything important to tell me

⦁ If you leave the library without talking to Cyne and then go back into the library, the light bulb balloon is still playing
invisible cyne.png
⦁ Enemies seem to try to flee after a few hits, but they can just crash into a wall and stop which makes them easy to defeat
enemies fleeing.png
⦁ Demon King has the Spark skill, but not way to use it in battle? Is that because the Hero job wasn't changed for this game?

⦁ Oh dear, boss monsters will try to flee too, which means that I can corner them and kill them easily

⦁ The ARPG style is a neat idea, but battles boil down to just spamming 'V'. Hopefully there are more skills added later, but at the moment the battles are not super interesting

⦁ Having all the different enemy sprites are cool, but they all seem to have the same AI which makes all the fights the same... It would've been cool if a few behaved differently, so that when I spotted the ghosts for example, I'd have to watch out for them coming through walls to get me

⦁ Haha, the monster bar is funny, though now I feel bad about beating up all their buddies... What if they were just heading to the bar, and I kept slaying them? :rsad:

⦁ Huh, I beat the dragon in the courtyard and decided to go back into the house to talk to Jeeves, but I'm suddenly upstairs and it's dark out. Did I accidentally trigger an event?

⦁ Umm, I ended up going into one of the buildings near the courtyard where it says I need to defeat 4 enemies, but no enemies are appearing. The countdown is also going down without me doing anything, I don't know if going upstairs messed the event up ^^;

⦁ Having the Heal skill makes Potions useless. I have way more MP than I need, so I can just heal up whenever I want with that skill

⦁ Okay, I've played an hour of this game and now I'm going to stop. No clue if I'm close to the end or not, but I've had enough of the battle system. It seems like a fun story, but the lack of skill needed for battles makes the gameplay a bit boring

Overall, I liked the story and humor but the battle system was lacking. I can see that you've been listening to feedback and improving though, once I have more time I'll probably grab the newest version and give it a go. Good luck improving your game! :rwink:

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
any new version or fixed the stuff I reported, new difficulty etc?
I want to replay it again when it's harder to clear. ^^

Mrs_Allykat

Failsauce
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've gotten a few things in, but I had to pay attention to IRL for a while. Darn that IRL getting in the way! I went a bit too far with one of the bosses, and made it too hard (but have backed it off some).

I'm currently trying to work in a mechanic to have one of the bosses shoot at the player, but it was derailed by having to acquire reliable transportation...

It's awesome that you mentioned a "new difficulty" since that was actually what I was thinking of doing. I should be able to tweak the damage based on a difficulty setting :)

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I downloaded the latest version, but I try to break the ladder part if able ^^
Make sure you cant hold the button for massive dmg, but trigger the key if possible.
or when holding, 10-20 frames wait so you cant smash which makes bosses also
harder to kill.

I also read some spelling mistakes (which I dont do) but I retest the new version and see what
I can find tomorrow later the day. Now I'm off to sleep.

keep up the nice work :)

Mrs_Allykat

Failsauce
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
On the plus side, I've gotten really good at using itch's butler app :)

I really need to get in the fireballs for that dragon. I'll probably restrict the dragon's movements, but put in some kind of ground-damage. I did put in a mechanic for the shadow-cat-thing that forces the player to get a few hits done in front of a mirror. Though, somehow, I messed up the damage on a few of the monsters which will need re-tweaking before I can add a difficulty setting.

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
while retrying the game, I notice 2 things, the boss become transparant but stay on 1 spot.
so you can kill it easy.

secondly, the books or some books that is laying around are open, some of them when
interact with it, it closes the book (my suggestion, close those books, and when interact,
open them and keep them open after reading)

this way you know what you have been reading :)

3rd, when walking and attack, you keep attacking, but when you bump into an enemy
while walking, you mostly die instantly XD I dont know how or why it does that, but
it happend.

4th, will continue later while busy in RL atm, will report when possible :)

PS: well done on the enemy spawn on the boss, but if possible, let them kill them
before the boss get vulnerable again :) or when transparant, that he can dmg you
and the boss not looking away when hit (0 dmg) see image:
issue1.png

EDIT: on the 2nd boss, when it spawn eggs (while you can keep killing it) after you killed it
the girl NPC is invisible, but you see the balloon though.

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
2 issues + major issue I think.

below is after the boss with the mirror:
After Mirror boss.png

the 2nd is after beating all 5 bosses:
I located that part already
weird issue.png

finally, while I can beat all 5 bosses (or the middle door is when you obtained the scroll
and 1 other item) the game is beaten without those 2 or 3 items I needed before.

I dont know if its changed though and the walking over water wasn't there before
as well, so you might did something or break something or I did break something,
if I broke something, than I'm sorry.

I saw some improvements, but some parts can be improved, and I know creating those
wont be easy as well.

the dragon boss on the open area in the city has some tiles issue (if you notice already)
if not, try to look into it.

Further more, you do a nice job, its harder than before :)

Mrs_Allykat

Failsauce
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Okay, damage is applied to the fireballs, there are multiple sizes that match the damage. I'll work on the actual bugs this weekend. I'll warn everyone up front, don't get hit by the big fireball! (it's a bit slower than the rest, so it shouldn't be that hard).

2020-06-12T04-40-25-263Z.jpeg

However, this will mean @Touchfuzzy will never see the town map in the game :p

2020-06-08T02-43-55-296Z.jpeg

Mrs_Allykat

Failsauce
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Uploaded a new version today, with fireballs. I bugged out the ladder shortcut, but fixed a couple of issues noted by @ShadowDragon (note: you weren't supposed to be required to collect the other items to advance the game. It was likely broken before LOL)

I do need to go back in and fix whatever is bugging up the ladder that is supposed to appear. Also, I need to re-adjust where the counters occur for a couple of rooms as to not prevent Cyne from appearing.

Thanks again @ShadowDragon for finding and suggesting these things!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Ami
--- Currency ---

Hero: This city cannot accept Gold to buy the items.
Merchant: You can exchange Gold into TC,depending the rate of TC this time.
Hero: Really? Then,i want to exchange 999999999G.
Merchant: Let's see……Wait a second,are you Cheating again?
Hero: Hell No!!! I earn it with myself!!!
There's always a time when you're super excited to create something but you already have no energy left. :I
I think of all the effects in my game, the light passing through fog has got to be my favorite....

...Also I spent all day trying to figure out how I had suddenly messed it up and made it start dropping frames like crazy. So I had all day to look at it... mocking me... with it's previous 60fps reduced to 30fps... At least it's fixed now.
Dalph wrote on slimmmeiske2's profile.
Slimmm, we should team one day and make "Reid in Wonderland" or "Aluxes in boots".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Weaversenpai