issues with android performance

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV Deployment' started by PrkchpsNaplsaws, Nov 6, 2015.

1. KisaiTenshi

KisaiTenshi Veteran Veteran

This is probably suggestive that the device you have doesn't have WebGL enabled. Can you download Chrome on it and see if it acts any different?

2. Helladen

Helladen Deviant Designer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    You'd get the same bandwidth usage if you let people download the game directly (probably less since less people will finish the entire game), because it only downloads chunks of the game at once and caches it. It exports to HTML5, so that means those standards apply to RPG Maker MV. It is safe to host your game on a website. I code online games and know very well that bandwidth won't be as bad as you are trying to make it out to be.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2015
  3. JumbocactuarX27

JumbocactuarX27 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm pretty sure it doesn't cache as aggressively as you think. Check out your network packets as you load up someone's hosted game and then once it's loaded, hit refresh. On my machine at least, it redownloads every file.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2015
  4. KisaiTenshi

The server has to actually have use eTags and overly-aggressively tell connecting user agents that that each and every file is allowed to be served stale if it can't be verified. Hence it becomes an extreme headache to debug. That's why I've suggested elsewhere that you don't want to go down this route unless you're just using it to push "debug" versions to your beta testers. If you actually publish a game this way, you need a 99$/mo server that isn't shared with other people so you have as much control as possible over the caching. Simply dropping cloudflare in front of the site doesn't save it without being able to configure which files are to be aggressively cached. And once you drop a reverse proxy like cloudflare in front of it, forget debugging it further.

Clouldflare is awful even at the best of times, and it's one of those services I'd not recommend using unless you set it up before making the game publicly reachable.

5. Galenmereth

Galenmereth I thought what I'd do was Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Web hosting your game doesn't really have anything to do with this topic, either. It won't improve performance and it's not a solution for mobile gamers who usually have data caps. So I'd say that discussion should go elsewhere :)

boomy likes this.
  6. JumbocactuarX27

JumbocactuarX27 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    To get back on track then, I said earlier that my phone runs my own project just fine (and this continues to be the case). To benchmark me though, I ran the bunny application above and was in the low 30s for FPS around 36,000 bunnies. I suspect that Kisai-Tenshi is right and that I'm getting really nice performance because GPU rendering is forced on in my developer menu. I don't know of a way to force GPU rendering off though, or I'd try that for comparison's sake, but yeah, limiting maps to smaller sizes with fewer events and taking a hard look at limiting your assets to the bare minimum should go a long way to helping performance.

7. kachorritou

kachorritou Warper Member

First Language:
    spanish
    has somebody managed to solve the "failed to load: audio/se/cursor2.m4a" error? because i also made a basic game with almost no changes and 4 events, it worked fine but since that error in the phone every rpg maker game i instal give that error

8. KisaiTenshi

If it can't load the audio either:

1) The file is missing

or

2) It doesn't support webaudio/audio tags, which means that the device is too old. Android devices need to run 4.4.4 or later, nothing before it works with the native webview. Or you have to use the XDK/Cordova/Crosswalk which supplies it's own Chromium version.

kachorritou likes this.
  9. doranikofu

doranikofu Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Chinese
    I was trying to run MV games on google nexus, but even the IntelXDK emulator gives error of missing audio files.

I DO think the developers need to take it seriously and provide some updates for MV.

The biggest reason for buying MV for me was the ability to export to mobiles. And it has been so hard so it feels like false advertising.

There are other better tools to do this but most of them are harder to use and they don't usually have multi-language support.

boomy likes this.
  10. KisaiTenshi

If the error comes up in the XDK, that means the file is missing or you picked a device to emulate that doesn't support webaudio. The XDK uses Chromium, not Chrome, so for all intents you have to select Cordova build, not native html5.

11. metronome

metronome Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (Sure!)
    Hi,

Just coming back here to give u some reports (lol)

What u said is true. I borrowed my friend's android. It's samsung galaxy mini s4, its spec is lower than my android smartphone but for the hell of it, it runs my test game smoothly with no problem at all....omg.

Guess my gpu is blacklisted or something else happened I am not sure.....

I remember there was a way to remove gpu blackliat or somethinf, but I dont really know how to do that....

Now if only we know how to make it so that if we press back button by accident(or not) / if an apps interrupts in the middle of game session, the game doesnt restart....

12. KisaiTenshi

This is a lot harder to manage, but it's kinda obvious when you think about it. What you want to do is hook "save game" to a "save state", save the state when the game exits (onbeforeunload), and restore it when the game is reloaded.

13. kachorritou

kachorritou Warper Member

First Language:
    spanish
    Thank you! I Couldn't resolve at all, i deleted the file then placed another and it worked, i have android 4.4 and can run the game perfectly but some sound files seems that can't be supported as you said.

14. doranikofu

doranikofu Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Chinese
    I got it working on my google nexus after forcing the audio extension to be ogg (otherwise it tries to find m4a)

but some of the SE won't play (some does but some doesn't) not sure if there is a specific reason for this

15. KisaiTenshi

The sound effects are also ogg/m4a.

16. KillerGin

KillerGin Freddie Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hey Guys!

I have an Android version of my game up and running and available for download now! (Along with a PC and MAC version). I ave ben consulting this forum during the pain staking process of porting the game to android. Would you like to try it out and see how it is running? To download links are always posted on the official game page, but I will also provide them right now.

Just check out my signature to download the game!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
  17. KillerGin

KillerGin Freddie Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @KisaiTenshi @kachorritou I had a problem with m4a files not loading. How i fixed it? I checked the bit rate, it turned out the files bitrate was out of control (Like 1,450kbs+)! So I scaled it down to 128kbs and it worked just fine.  

(Sorry I am new to the forum and I am trying to delete this post so that I do not Double post which is against forum rules... how do you delete a post?)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2016
  18. LtBenjamin

LtBenjamin Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    this is a little late....lol but try adding both m4a and ogg music files to your project.

19. Tyrael79

Tyrael79 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english

I'm getting a similar issue when running on Android, the sound effects will randomly stop working. However the music will keep playing fine. Its not until the app is closed completely and re-started that the SFX will start working again. Just quitting to the title and loading a saved game won't bring them back.

I'll try putting the "stop SFX" command in the events as suggested and see if that helps. Does it need to be after all SFX? or is just putting one at the end of every event screen like this ok (see attached screen shot)? (the SFX don't stop mid way through the events, most of them will keep playing as they should until they get to the point where they randomly stop)

Also I tend to fade out the BGM in events like in the second screenshot. Would fading out the BGM be contributing to the issue?

Jo-event-002.jpg

Jo-event-001.jpg

20. Tyrael79

Tyrael79 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    @PrkchpsNaplsaws In general, I'm finding that on my samsung Galaxy S6, everything runs fine.

Except for:

• Like you SFX stop working (hopefully that stop SFX will resolve it)
    • When animations are playing I get a huge degradation in performance. its not so bad with the single target effects, but with the "Target All" skills (like the "Darkness All 3"), the performance is so bad that just using the stock premade animations the Target All skills 20% of the time will crash the app completely.

I'm going through and editing the target all animations to try to make the less intensive. I'll let you know if it solves or at least reduces the issue.