Issues with blue screens

Snarkyfork

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Okay, I just recently came back to RPG Maker MV after a long hiatus and I have been having issues with blue screens. I haven't had any blue screens on my laptop before so it seems like it has to be RPG Maker doing it and I have noticed other people commenting about other versions of RPG Maker causing blue screens. I use the non-Steam version of RPG Maker MV and its on version 1.6.1.0. The blue screens seem pretty sporatic but it happens 3-4 times a day and I am worried it's going to damage my computer.

Are there any known problems with RPG Maker causing blue screens? In the mean time I am going to try to monitor it more closely but I am not sure what to do to stop it from happening, I am having to constantly save to avoiding losing what work I do on my project.

Any insight would be great, thanks.

Edit: I have updated all drivers and ran hardware diagnostics and nothing unusual has come up.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Bluescreens cannot damage your computer - that is technically impossible.

However, they may be caused by damage on your computer, but that damage then has a different source.

Can you give the main error? I don't know if they changed the format, but up including WinXP an 0E error was usually a memory problem - especially if you had a main powerswitch that tortures the computer by giving power to the computer, a monitor and other peripherals at the same time. That however can't happen with a laptop (the akku works as a buffer for the voltage spikes there, desktop computers don't have an akku).

Other possibilities are damages to windows files (that means no hardware damage but need to reformat the harddrive), damage to the harddrive (use a program like checkdrive to read out the S.M.A.R.T. status, anything above 80% is normal, far below 80% means your harddrive is on the verge of complete hardware failure) or problems caused by overheating (rather common for laptops)

Snarkyfork

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks for the response, I just ran a full diagnostic on the hardware from the boot menu and it said there were no problems but I am not sure how accurate that would be. I have been keeping an eye on the temp with HW Monitor and its not overheating.

When it happens again I will try to get the blue screen code. it could have been memory related and I just didn't notice it, perhaps RPG Maker uses a lot of memory? I was worried maybe there was some memory leak related to RPG Maker.

Reinstalling windows isn't so bad but I hate to do it if it's needed. What kind of program can I use to check my hard drive?

Edit: Nevermind I see it, checkdrive. I will look into that now. Thanks.

Edit: Says both my drives are ok, not sure what to make out of the "more data" diagnosis. I guess I will look for afermarket apps that give a better test of the memory and if that's not it I will try reinstalling windows.

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
it said there were no problems but I am not sure how accurate that would be.
that is why I referred you to the program named checkdrive, and told you what the numbers mean.
I don't know what your boot menu is, but if it is the one from windows - windows can't check the smart-status of a harddrive at all.

Snarkyfork

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I used Checkdrive, I didn't see anything that said "S.M.A.R.T. status" however. Maybe I need the paid version? There was a "more data" tab that I clicked on with a bunch of stats and everything appeared to be alright.

Edit: Just did a SMART test using windows CMD prompt and it came up ok. Gonna look for a different app to do a more thorough test. Thanks again for the tips.

Edit: Crystaldiskinfo is giving me a health score of 98%. I guess if it keeps happening I will reinstall windows, it's never a bad thing to do a clean install.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Once again working on a game I'm not sure I'm going to sell or even publish
That feel when you're awake past midnight and suddenly you're one year older :ninja:
I miss collaborations, but I don't know how to find someone to make face parts just to share them with others, and even though I don't like writing or music, I can't trust anyone with writing on my game because it has themes that are easy to mess up, and music needs a clear tone and scenes.
People donating to me for my upcoming birthday so I can pay my team a little. Such angels, I'm so happy. T uT I smile so much my face hurts. Good souls in this world.
Playing Ragnarok Online again is very nostalgic. The last time I played it was 20 years ago, when I was ten-twelve old.
My first mmorpg.^^

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dashstop