It is good to release VX ACE commercial games nowadays.

Ed19

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Empty
Primarily Uses
N/A
I aware games made by RPG Maker Engine is plagued by the negative stigma of bad and unpolished games, although I've seen great RPG Maker games in steam.

So as I analyzed ; people will probably mostly use MV for game development, is it a good idea to release rpg maker games by using the VX ACE engine?

in my opinion, VX ACE does a few things better than MV. And, I always like there are far more custom facesets & sprites on VX ACE.
also, VX ACE's RTP design is obviously much better.. (well, if you would use RTP for commercial games).

but I don't know much about the condition of the game market when VX ACE engine was widely used, so please tell me your opinion.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
All my games have been made with Ace, and all have sold well, though the biggest proportion has been on the Aldorlea site, rather than on Steam.

When it comes to negative perceptions of RPG Maker, I don't think there has been much difference between Ace and MV. Both suffer from having had tons of rubbish games made in them and then released. Both suffer at the moment - along with every other game - from market saturation.

If you want to make and release a game in Ace, then why not? My current project is in Ace. There are many things that can be done in Ace that can't with MV, unless I commission expensive and cumbersome plugins, plus I hate the MV chibi sprites, so I see no compelling reason to change right now.

Indinera

Indie Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
I think it's alright to release VX Ace games. The outcome has more to do with your own input (ie the content of the game) than whether you used MV or Ace.
As Kes said, market saturation is definitely a thing, but it affects both MV and Ace.

CraneSoft

Filthy Degenerate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It depends on the market honestly: if you are referring to the naughty games, most devs have moved to MV for obvious reasons, but there are still Ace games released recently that sold decently well. There are still plenty (myself included) who had sinked many hours in Ace we can't just migrate it to MV without needing to redo a lot of work. What's important is that you are capable of making what you want with the engine at hand so if Ace works better, I've say stick with it until your current project is finished.

Ed19

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Empty
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm using MV at the moment, which is quite satisfied with the current engine , but i cannot stand the sprites! anyway, it could be a waste of time to redo everything to VX ACE or even the newly announced RPG Maker.

I'll set the decision once I make the next game.

Dezue

*******.com/peninja
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For us, MV was a lot better than other RM versions because of the fact that it could generate browser-playable versions (which are a magnitude more discoverable than download games).

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
The better and more polished your game is, the less the engine matters to the eyes of a potential player.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'd say it matters more how good your game is, not what engine you use. I released a game made in ACE in September 2019 on Aldorlea and it was #1 top seller of 2019 there.

Also I find that ACE is easier to set in a 4:3 resolution which resizes into a 16:9 pretty well with some black bars on the side, but MV due to the 48x48 tileset doesn't resize as well to today's monitors I've noticed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

lunarrosecrow wrote on hiddenone's profile.
please don't lurk hiddenone I'm quarantining!!!
lunarrosecrow wrote on Edward.T's profile.
Hello Edward sorry to bother you and didn't start a conversation cause I thought i'd be a little weird or disrespectful but I was wondering do you still have your Generator resources you posted as the links on the page are dead?
Stream will be live shortly! It is my birthday, and thus I am doing an extended stream! I will be doing a variety of things. Among the activities I will be doing: Playing Oceanhorn: Monster of the Uncharted Seas, art, and some Text Adventure~ Feel free to drop by!
It would be cool if you could "copy as code" event commands :< .
Just managed to recover my Yahoo e-mail that i lost 3 months ago. Turns out an IP from U.S had hacked it and set the pass back to normal.. Like WTF ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Reji