Switz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The following game is being sold initch.io. Although we have not bought the game to see which game he stole, he is using images from our upcoming game and the written description of his game is of our old game called Einlanzer on Steam.
https://kieferd20.itch.io/core-of-eternity

I bet he also has other ripped games in his store here: https://kieferd20.itch.io/

I've reached out to Itch.Io support for takedown request and developer suspension.

Proof he is ripping our games
1. The description of his game comes directly from our first game called Einlanzer. Einlanzer is only sold on Steam and our website (website is down).

2. The screenshots come from our newest game under development called “Divided Reigns”. Here are some links/updates) from our Einlanzer store page regarding Divided Reigns updates. The newest one entitled “Einlanzer update!” also contains updates on our new game:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/553760/allnews/

3. More proof images where stolen. They all came directly from our IndieDB page:
https://www.indiedb.com/games/diaspora-rpg

Elliott404

Game404
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wow.. All he had to do was just change the game's title and increase the price.. And the time gap release is 2 years..
I reported this game to itch.io admin. Hopefully, they'd do something about it.

I don't recognize any of them, but this one worries me..:
Untitled.png
All I could see the common theme is medieval setting

Jesse - PVGames

Game and Graphics Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I fully support you in this. I had a run in with this guy not very long ago and did digging into his past and he has a loooong history of very shady and unethical practices. He makes shovelware games that are basically the same game over and over and runs numerous Kickstarter and other crowdfunding campaigns and uses stolen or ripped assets. Most recently he accused me of stealing his art and selling it (he was using MY graphics).

Feel free to check out the comments section of my itch.io thread: https://itch.io/t/582366/released-mythos-reawakening#post-1009645
It not only contains my interaction with him, but a compiled list of numerous other shady things he's done.

I am pretty sure @mlogan has dealt with this person before, as I am fairly certain I found her comments in a Kickstarter when I was digging into this guy and she called him out on his bullshit as well.

Elliott404

Game404
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So this guy is clearly stupid, and careless to say the least. 3 years and he didn't learn?

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I've been a little suspicious of them just due to the fact that they have 10 games all supposedly released in 3 years, all offering 100+ hours of gameplay. Even AAA companies can't churn them out that fast.

@Switz : BTW, per DMCA law you are the one who has to file the infringement complaint AFAIK. Telling us at least makes us aware, but you will have to be the one to file the strike on them from what I understand of it. Maybe @MushroomCake28 can clarify more?

Last edited:

Switz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My co-developer has a lawyer in the family who helped us with contracts and trademark. I'm sure he will get him involved, especially since this is a repeat offender.

Are we sure it's a "him"? I caught this on Facebook (them advertising their copy of our game) and it's a 60-ish year old female.

Could be a hacked account I guess

Tw0Face

Chief Executive Officer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Stealing RM games is not cool. Reported as well.

Switz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Update

So I scrolled through the Facebook users post and confirmed that she was also as of around August using ellesgames in her game links confirming not just that "Lunatic Games" is the exact see "developer" as the already reported ellesgames, but this also confirms the Facebook profile is not hacked or fake.

I know where she works and lives now.

So, Itch.io knew about this account, yet still allowed them to sell (or use same back account). In addition, "Lunatic Games" even after PV Games linked all this shady stuff STILL had an active account with ability to host new games to sell!?

Last edited:

ct_bolt

Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Javascript
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Update
So, Itch.io knew about this account, yet still allowed them to sell (or use same back account). In addition, "Lunatic Games" even after PV Games linked all this shady stuff STILL had an active account with ability to host new games to sell!?
That's messed up, well I reported 'em too just now hopefully if enough do they'll get banished forever.

CrowStorm

Storm crow descending, Winter unending.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's so sad that my initial reaction to seeing this on the sidebar of the main page was basically "*sigh* what else is new" this BS is so common it's difficult to maintain appropriate outrage.

Having looked into it closer, this guy makes people like us (okay, ME) that rebrand a lot for reasons OTHER than theft, plagiarism, and fraud look bad.

Also I think he's actually a crazy person (why else would you start shouting incoherently that the person who you stole from stole from you)?

Last edited:

Switz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Can I please Dox her lol. Admins, pleeeeaaasssseeee

Sadly I want to buy it to see which game they ripped. I doubt it is our new game.un development. The only way to get that would be to somehow get one of our copies myself and @OreoCookieSP send back and forth to eachother over GoogleDrive.

But I'm betting it is Einlanzer which is our game already released on Steam.

Sure we know pirated copies are out there. Have seen them plenty of times with a simple Google search and it's the unfortunate part of media, but what can you do.

But this....this is.something on a entirely new level lmao

Switz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Update: She responded to me on Facebook. Can pretty much gather from poor PV Games' post/link what she said, but then immediately erased everything.

Itch.io has STILL not responded. How could they let this account still be active is beyond me.

Be vigilant community. People like this can use Itch.io apparently without impunity to profit off your hard work without your knowledge. There is ZERO chance I would have found out about this if I happened to not be in the same FB group as this scammer.

lianderson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Every now and then, I type my game's name into google for stuff like this. I suggest other people do the same, especially if they got a unique name to their game.

Good job on finding out about this piece of ****.

Switz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sure, we see Einlanzer on torrent sites, but don't really worry about it. I think it's different than being angry at some player to cheap to pay $4 and get the game legally than someone actually selling your game lol.

Ace of Spades

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Sure, we see Einlanzer on torrent sites, but don't really worry about it. I think it's different than being angry at some player to cheap to pay $4 and get the game legally than someone actually selling your game lol.
Agreed, plagiarism is certainly different than pirating, not that I condone either. I'm glad to see the original link you posted has been taken down by Itch.Io, but it concerns me that this person is getting away with this behavior. It sounds like they've been doing this for some time, especially if they're going as far as changing the title, making it harder for the developer to find out their game is being uploaded elsewhere.

rue669

RueToYou
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I too wouldn’t be worried about torrent sites. I mean, that just happens whether you like it or not.

But selling your product without your signed consent is inexcusable. And it’s crazy that itch.io hasn’t done anything about it yet. They should be on that like butter on toast.

Switz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Itch.io didn't take it down. Everything disappeared after the scammer DM'd /responded on Facebook. I'm assuming just got home from her job or just noticed she got busted.

STILL, nothing from itch.io

I'm amazed

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Pirates will unfortunately always exist, and most of the time there isn't much we can do.

As for the legal aspect, I'm a law student, not done yet but a bit more than half way through. I've had a general class on companies, including their intellectual property, but no class on intellectual properties specifically yet (I have a class on patent and trademarks next semester though, but that's different from copyright, which is the issue here). So with my still limited knowledge, there are 2 major ways:
  1. If you know the offender (name, address), you can personally sue them. This is the same as any other civil lawsuit, and you can usually demand that the other party takedown the copyrighted material, give you all the money they made with your copyrighted material, and sometimes punitive damages (depending on your country/states, usually you have to prove malicious intent for that, which I think is quite apparent in this case).
  2. Usually cases of copyright infringement over the internet are complicated since you don't know the identity and address of the offender. That's when you go with the DMCA route. I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to this because that's a specific domain of the law (unlike the first scenario). Usually, with more specific claims like this one you can't obtain as much for compensation. Usually it results in restoration of the initial situation (which probably means only a takedown in this case). I've found some general information on that subject here (under "The "Notice and Takedown" Regime in the U.S."): https://www.heerlaw.com/copyright-infringement-online
From my experience (I've had my game ripped off a couple times on torrent sites), you can't do much. First of all, if the site is hosted in another country without the right copyrights laws, you can't do anything. Even if you knew the identity of the other person, if he/she lives in another country, you could try to sue depending on his/her country, but international lawsuits cost A LOT of money and time, and depending on the country sometimes you can't do anything.

Switz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
She lives in Pennsylvania and am sure we could pin point name and where she lives.

itch.io in my opinion is culpable as well. However, this was only discovered this morning and nowhere near enough time to jump further into conclusions.

Last edited:
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For the United States, you can get compensatory damages in a lawsuit if you can prove the damages enough but that's hard to begin with. If you register your copyright or trademark with the government for your game however, although it's hard to prove for compensatory damages, the judge in the case can apply an arbitrary punitive penalty that goes well beyond imagined compensatory damages. This can go well into six digit figures.

EDIT: After checking the U.S. Copyright Office website FAQ, it says that registration is required to even bring a lawsuit. https://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html

EDIT: From MushroomCake28 - "Not a US lawyer, however I suspect that it means that you have to register to sue for copyright infringement USING the copyright laws. However, you can still sue for infringement using the general civil responsibility laws."

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I can see the end of my prologue. Perfect time to decide to pull everything over into MZ, right? Right?!
Excited to be nearing the end of setting up my own custom Point-And-Click system template! Just need to iron out some kinks, get an input text system going, add animations to buttons, and then finalize my button-mashing event system and it'll be complete >:3c
AlcTheHero wrote on Mystic_Enigma's profile.
hi.
Still recovering from my laptop's transformation into a brick. I hope to be back to making soon.
Urgh. That sense of frustration when I tell my husband the plot of my game, bullet points, and at the end he looks and me and says 'that's it? Final Fantasy has more twists and turns.' Me: Ahrug! Bullet points!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tuyetky01