JFace

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I need help developing a patch or modification that would allow some of my characters to have item based skills. Examples of these skills would be:

Throw - throw shurikens, stars, etc

Quiver - shoot from a selection of arrows

Use - use items only an alchemist can use (like final fantasy X)

These skills would immediately be usable when the items are in the inventory. When the item is not in the inventory, the skill is invisible.

I see two ways of doing this, and I need help either way (or any other suggested ways)

1. Use Yanfly's Skill Cost Requirements script. This is fine, except I need a way to make the skill visible when item is in inventory, and invisible when item is missing.

2. Use a battle command that shows a list of items of a certain type. Instead of using skills, use the items themselves. This would eliminate the need to hide skills when unusable, but has the challenge of making subset items, and only displaying items of that subset. For instance, "Quiver" only shows <arrow> type items, while "Throw" only shows <star> type items..

I would appreciate any help and guidance on such a system. Thanks for your time.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
An easy alternative would require the items to be equipped - make that shuriken add the throw skill that it is the cost of, and the skill will only be available as long as the shuriken is equipped.

Everything else is a lot more difficult, but it can be done - for example by having a common event check party inventory after each shop and learn or unlearn skills depending on that.

JFace

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks for the idea, Andar. I'd like to be able to see a menu list of options to throw.

I think I may have found an answer using the first option I listed. I will need to test though.

Hide Menu Skills

Theoretically I should be able to hide skills based off of custom eval scripts, such as if an item is present in inventory.

JFace

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Update - I have confirmed the Yanfly Hide Menu Skills will hide the skills on the condition that the item is depleted. As long as all skills are initially learned by default, this system works.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

While was working on one of the monsters that will appear in my horor game I may have made harold a Lovecraftian monster. (I used his head to keep things aligned.)
Finally got my website fixed and the security sorted so it's been a productive day. Can I go to sleep now? I mean... I don't need to work right?
It's always a good idea to refresh yourself on what your plugins do. I'm working on a map with opening walls, and I was about to tear my hair out over how much image editing and hand-constructing of autotiles I'd have to do, when I looked again and saw @Shaz 's Tile Changer could copy areas from another map.
"sorry it took me so long to respond" - can we please agree not to say that anymore unless it actually took a long time?! (Like 36hrs at least) I mean, I'm running out of funny responses here xD
Ugh... 4:53AM over here and I can't sleep so why not just game make.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrAbunai