Xyonel

Indie Developer, All-in-one artist.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey guys , I'm sorry bothering you again with a request, but I cannot find that anywhere.

Do you know Item Shot from FF serie?

In Which different ways can I accomplish that in rpg maker mv?

Could you show some suggestion?

For those who don't know what I mean, item shot is a weird skill that let the character choose an item and shoot it with a normal attack(every item have it's own effect).

fizzly

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't really get it, never played FF series. Can you giva an example?

Xyonel

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For those who don't know what I mean, item shot is a weird skill that let the character choose an item and shoot it with a normal attack(every item have it's own effect).

actor use skill shot, then the player choose an item from the list, then the attack starts:

the damage dealt to enemy is base attack plus effect and damage created for specified item(every item must have an effect wrote )

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the best way to do this would be to use a common event.

the skill triggers the common event, then in the event you use a select item command followed by a long list of conditional branches to give different effects based on item selected.

fizzly

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So you mean, you can shot to enemy using...chicken leg, for example? o.o
Then you can make a skill with a common event, and in that common event, select item, and conditional branches when different items is choosed.

Xyonel

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
since the common events cannot be used in battle, I must use yanfly script for common event in battle (troop number1 as global event)
this does not lag?

if I check the conditional and during other cases is false, this will not be read?

and how to call dialog to choose item? and then remember the chosen one to subtract?
cause there's no macro for that,( choose item bind to a variable andlet me choose through regular, key item, hidden)

maybe choose item works good and I do not know it?

edit:
In addition, how to create conditional branch to check if item shot was used?

in macros there are only conditional " if skill is learned"

re-edit: uhm, through switches? :p

Last edited:

Wavelength

Pre-Merge Boot
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I don't usually recommend Viktor Sant's plugins due to requiring his VE Core and the number of bugs that Core contains, but it looks like his Throwable Objects might be exactly what you're looking for. Expand the Description in that YouTube video for download links to the plugin (and its required plugins). Probably worth taking on the risks that the VE Core brings if Throwing stuff is an important mechanic in your game.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
since the common events cannot be used in battle,
that is wrong, if called as a skill effect the common events work normally.
only parallels don't work in battle
n addition, how to create conditional branch to check if item shot was used?
as I said, you use the select item command to select the item.
the result is a variable holding the ID of the item
and then you follow with conditional branches variable = 1 do this, variable =2 do this for every item id

Xyonel

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
600 items?

Wave, I appreciate but I have a full load of scripts and cannot afford some bugs, even if this skill is so important to me,
i will structure the conditional, but the last problem is that I have a lot of items, and this database will grow accordingly to storyline so I expect around 800 items in my game.

So how to condition roughly 550 items?

I've thought about some category of itemshots, in which most of items have identical effects( if thrown minerals, almost all will have same effect) but some items have unique effect.

Last edited:

fizzly

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
since the common events cannot be used in battle
They can be used in battles. Assign effect type (common event) to an item or skill and you can invoke it during battle.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So how to condition roughly 550 items?
manually, and there is no way around that.
No matter if you go through events like I described or use a plugin, somewhere you'll have to create a list of what each item does when thrown. And because each list of items is unique, only you as the developer can do this.

In fact, using the evented way I described is probably easier than any plugin because you don't need to know javascript to handle this, you just make a (very long) common event that checks the IDs. And there is no problem with the length as long as you keep the numbers ordered:
Code:
Select Item: Thrown Item ID, Regular Item
If Thrown Item ID =1
   change items: Potion -1
   force action: whatever skill
   exit event processing
If: Thrown Item ID =2
   change items: Magic Water -1
   force action: ...
   exit event processing
If: Thrown Item ID =3

Xyonel

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
ok sure thing I can to that.

now I got another problem, when I use the skill, the common event shows up and do all the events, but...

I must animate the skill shot (it's a crossbow shoot) and I cannot use action sequences in common event, do the action sequence start even at the end of common event?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I cannot use action sequences in common event,
no, but you can do it the other way around.
yanfly's action sequences contain a command to trigger the common event of their skill, so you write the action sequence on the skill and have it tell the engine when to start the common event inside that action sequence instead of the regular turn end.

Xyonel

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
yeah I got it during testing, thanks anyway, last thing I noticed is that there's no skip if there are no useful items for the skill, this means that the player end the turn as a normal attack.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
if there are no useful items for the skill,
I haven't tested this, but if no item was selected the variable should return zero - and then you can use a condition check to zero to decide what to do in this case.

Xyonel

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
but the turn would be lost anyway, cause the selection of items starts at the end of command selection, just in the battle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

World Of Final Fantasy Livestream~!
(Ft. Kaliga)
So my office building has 8 individually rented offices in it; 3 of which are social workers and 2 are marriage therapists... Unsurprisingly it always sound very angry out there. Glad I have my own private entrance. :LZSexcite: :thumbsup-right:
I wonder if there's ever been an art challenge that involves drawing faces from the generator.
I'm sorry about earlier. I have the most hate and the most love for my art at the same time. Felt bad about my thread because I wasn't listening, and because I made it out of a bad mindset to begin with. S'another Thursday for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prox