It's a Long Way to Heaven.

Discussion in 'Completed Games' started by TheBrogrammer, Feb 28, 2014.

1. TheBrogrammer

TheBrogrammer Arving Startist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]
     ​
    Author's Notes:
    I worked on this game in short bursts. It is my completed side project. I made it mainly as game making practice, and I tried a few things that I have never seen before in an RPG. I made this project for fun.

Please enjoy, and feel free to point out everything wrong with it. I made this game not only for fun, but to help myself become a better author and game developer. Hopefully you will have fun with it!
     ​
     ​
     ​
    Let's Play/Walkthrough Series​
     ​
     ​
     ​
     ​

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2014
  2. Julien Brightside

Julien Brightside Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Norway
    Is it downloadable somewhere?

It seems quite interesting.

3. TheBrogrammer

First Language:
    English
    Updated with download link. :)

BTW, a walkthrough let's play video series will come out soon, with one of my friends playing it, with me commentating, so if you're stuck, watch the video series (when it comes out).

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2014
  4. McTone

McTone This Guy Veteran

First Language:
    English
    A little feedback:

• I like where this is going. More of character/moral study than an adventure.
    • The hole looks more like a walkway. Is there anyway you can show the side walls too?
    • I like the faces too.
    • The text runs off the screen in some of the skill descriptions
    • The little bloop noise every time a bubble pops up is a little annoying.
    • Love the music. Just love.
    • Maps look good. Maybe something to indicate what each shop is?
    • Parodoxia B became invisible...not sure what for though because I could still hit it.
    • And...it killed me. Fights are kinda tough in this game. I'll pick it up again later. 
    I think there's definitely a lot of potential in this game. It seems like it's going to be short, but an appropriate length. I'm gonna keep an eye on it for updates and try to finish it.

5. ninjalex

ninjalex Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Looks very interesting. I will definitely give it a try :)

6. TheBrogrammer

First Language:
    English
    Appreciate the good words, McTone!  The game's enemies are a bit challenging, but definitely beatable, especially if you prepare well.  In fact, losing and learning are huge parts of the game.  I had to make the enemies tough, considering there are only a few in the game (and they are all considered bosses).  There are 3 stores, the clothing shop, the gun shop, and the item shop.  Did you find them all?

I think the term DEF got cut off in Terrify.  I'll fix that.  I'm going to be updating the game based on the feedback that I get as well. :)

7. Alexander Amnell

Alexander Amnell Jaded Optimist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I just finished the game, it was a bit of a mixed bag for me but overall was enjoyable. I might go back to see the other endings but I can sort of guess what they are like.

some points:

Positives:

1. The battles were fairly unique for an rm game, don't see to many games try to handle guns.

2. Battles required a bit of thinking to get through, I didn't actually die but I came really close a couple of times, they weren't that hard but anyone who doesn't learn what everything does in the first two or so and just presses whatever is the strongest available (like most rm players do as most rm games allow that kind of strategy to work) then I have no doubt you would die.

3. The story was interesting, and the fact that for once in a time travel story changing the past was actually the right thing to do amused me as while I picked along the lines of what I'd do in a similar situation I kind of expected something horrible to happen because of it, because I think this is the first time I've seen a story like this where that isn't the case.

Negatives:

1. Struggle is a detriment to your survival, and is what almost killed me. It is a useless skill and while I understand it is meant to be the one skill that can be used free of cost it passing was always a better choice than it. I'd recommend just doing away with it, nerfing the normal single-fire attack by about 20-25% and removing it's adrenaline cost so that it only costs a bullet. (I mean, as is it's just a last-ditch effort to kill something that I only used once on the playground paradox because it was all I had available and I knew if that shot didn't kill it I'd die.) Using skills in the wrong situation should be dangerous, having a skill that is nothing but a detriment is bad, and it isn't a good learning curve to have to realize that using it = dying.

2. The balance after the playground paradox is a little bit skewed. I felt I could lose on the first enemy if I didn't think, the second one demanded I think to beat it and the playground paradox almost killed me while I thought about every move, but the ones that followed seemed much easier in comparison to the first 3, to the point that the danger was pretty much gone. (on the final boss I used intimidate (the first one that cost 10) and that made all of his attacks do no damage and just took drug candies whenever I ran low while spamming the double tap skill until he died.)

3. The firearm mechanics were a little unrealistic (this is mainly a pet peeve of mine, not a serious criticism. I understand where you were coming from on most of it but having shooting dependent on adrenaline for one is just kind of wrong. I understand where the misconception can come from but adrenaline is absolutely detrimental to shooting ability, not an asset. Like I said though, not really a criticism game play wise, just something that irritates me and probably very few others will care.)

4. Someone already covered this but at certain instances text is off screen. Not often but there were 3-4 times that a word got cut short that I noticed.

Overall: It kept my attention all the way through (though it required 4 sittings) so I enjoyed playing it. The story was alright, and even took a turn I wasn't expecting toward the end with its 'changing the past is a + for once' thing. Mainly it's just balancing issues later on that detract from it.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2014
  8. UsainSloth

UsainSloth Apprentice Member

First Language:
    English
    I downloaded this and I'll give a more full review later on after I am done playing the game.

But for what I can see now, the games battles are pretty hard. In the sense of the first 2 were extremly easy until the 3rd one just starts instantly killing you. But I do like the soundtrack for this and the art style for the character is pretty interesting!

9. TheBrogrammer

First Language:
    English
    Each one of the paradoxia in game specialize in different areas of combat (with the exception of the first one).  For instance, the 2nd specializes in states.  The 3rd happens to specialize in attack.  The key to this game is learning from death, and preparing next time.

10. TheBrogrammer

First Language:
    English
    A quick update letting everyone know that the first let's play episode is up!  I've edited my first post.  You can find it at the bottom.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2014
  11. TheBrogrammer

First Language:
    English
    Two more episodes have been uploaded!  Dunno what the deal was with my mic on episode three... (It's a little more distorted...)

12. TheBrogrammer

First Language:
    English
    Update! The finale has been uploaded!