I've got a question about how to prevent a player from moving until my cutscene is over.

trevorwright1

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm making a scary RPG. The player walks down a hallway. At a certain point in the hallway, I want the player to not have the ability to move. Then, a sequence of footstep noises plays, and a creature comes and moves towards the player. When it reaches the player, the player gets moved to a different area. The thing that is getting me stuck is how to make the player not move while a separate event (the footstep noises) is happening. Can someone help me out? I'm only a few days into RPG Maker so please use easier language for me to understand. Thank you.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
RPG Creator is a different engine to the one your information says you are using.
[MOVE]RPG Maker MV[/MOVE]

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Use an autorun event. This disables all player movement until it's finished and deactivated.

DnCGamez

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can use an event to allow for player touch then have it turn on a self switch A then make a new page and activate it for switch A and set it to autorun and after it does everything make it switch another self switch and then erase event on the third page with the self switch activated make sure it's set to parallel

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@DnCGamez that is a really convoluted and absolutely not neccessary way to handle things, especially as it can be done without any switch and without any additional pages by just setting the cutscene itself to autorun exactly as shaz said above.

and you should not use parallel processes unless you know exactly what you're doing. there are a few cases where they are neccessary, but excessive use will lag your game to hell, and excessive use on multiple pages with switches has a high risk of creating timing errors.

DnCGamez

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
good to know i am also new to this stuff thats just how i been doing it but now i will go threw and fix my stuff as well ty for letting me know

charlottezxz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Have a tile the player walks on that could trigger a self switch for another event page on it to run an auto event. An auto event stops all player movement. During that event have your cut scene play out, play the sound effects, have a character move down with set move and then when it gets where you want it, transfer the player to another map activating a self switch for the Auto run (cut scene) event tile to end it.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Id not use a self switch for another event (or a switch at all) just use a variable that you use for plot flow. That tends ot be better. Plus self switches are for the event that calls them only.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Considering a side project of making a Choose Your Own Adventure in MV but letting people play it as YouTube videos with the choices at the end leading to other videos. Thoughts?
I've made a rudimentary prototype map for the first game with the MV RTP overworld tiling. I'm probably going to photoshop the crap out of it for parallax, but the prototype has given me new ideas about how I want to place dungeons in the game.
I got tired of not having an avatar image. Couldn't think of anything cool. So I'm just using my game's antagonist instead... How original. At least both of our names start with C?
Expectation: Design/dev a game for the game jam | Reality: "These codes suck, why did I do it this way? lemme fix this. Also what if I add feature xyz because... well, I can."
Did my first script call in an event! :kaopride: It's completely useless and just because I thought it'd be cute if looking at clocks in-game made the character say the real-world time, but it's fully functional scripting and I did it all by myself!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neuromancy