January Goals and Progress Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bgillisp, Jan 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hello all! It's a new year! Time for a new beginning! To finish all of those projects that you have sitting around. To..

[​IMG]

Wake up!

Post your goals and progress for January below. If you wish to post a 2019 goal as well, do that here too.

Mimironi, Ryisunique, Chiara and 4 others like this.
  2. AceOfAces_Mod

AceOfAces_Mod Engineering to infinity! Veteran

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Guess I have the honors to kick things off...

Goals for the year:
    -Learn C# and JS for good.
    -(Hopefully) release version D0.30 of Immortal Sins as a "stable" release.

Progress Report #1:
    Immortal Sins:
    -Released two updates (D0.20 Update 6 and Beta Build 20181229) to all of my mirrors.

Misc:
    -Done some housekeeping on m code by creating xmldoc. This adds custom tooltips when I'm coding.

Thothdan, Shaz and Marquise* like this.
  3. FleshToDust

FleshToDust Pixel Beginnings Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Haven't been here in a few months. Had computer problems. Was able to get them resolved though and made some progress.

What's next on the list is to work on some custom menus and then a custom battle system.

4. Kawers

Kawers Ripping off Final Fantasy with Industrial Aplomb Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Happy New Year to you!

I hope to get back into my project this year. Whilst I don't know if it's realistic to say I can finish it in the next 12 months, after a lengthy period of illness, I'd like to be able to get back to the same sense of peace (and sometimes frustration) that I used to get in making my game.

Wishing everyone a happy and prosperous 2019.

5. Bone

Bone Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I am aiming to have all the main game mechanics polished or at the least settled by the end of the month. If things go well hopefully redesign the battle UI to make the player feel more like a tamer. [​IMG]

Thothdan, Shaz, Marquise* and 2 others like this.
  6. mobiusclimber

mobiusclimber Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My goal this year is to learn how to map better. I also would like to get a team together to work on a project in anticipation of the next IGMC. I'm determined to have a better showing next time around.

As for January goals, I'm working on fixing a lot of the issues/bad design of my demo and rewriting a lot of the dialogue to make it snappier and more succinct. I'm hoping to have something decent to show off by the end of the month if not sooner. (Originally, I was going to work on expanding the first dungeon, but I really feel like a bit of an overhaul is in order before I finish doing that. I did get a lot of work done on the dungeon, but it's not my top priority now.) I'm probably going to be working on spell animations and enemy behavior as well. I want the new demo to be a better representation of what the game will be like, instead of being placeholder on top of placeholder on top of placeholder. It's what I'm gonna use to get other people interested in working with me, so it has to be good.

7. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I am so bad at this :(

My goal for 2019 is to get this confounded game released! Hopefully in the first half of the year.

My goal for January is to work on it at least 5 days a week, even if only for half an hour.

By the end of January I will have
    1. given my maps a facelift by swapping out some not-so-nice tiles with some nicer tiles from FSM (the ones I've already done have made a huge difference)
    2. pull out unfinished stuff that doesn't really need to be there - decide whether I want to finish it and add it back in later as a lower priority
    3. listed and prioritised all the dev tasks still to be done
    4. completed several tasks off the top of that list (not saying how many, as it depends on how many there are and what they are)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  8. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    HAPPY NEW YEAR! I am mostly kittysitting this month (and fighting BBs), but I will push myself to do something RPGM amazing this month ^^ (probably resources/assets).

9. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    We have 3 cats of our own, 2 foster kittens that we've had for maybe a month now, and last week we babysat another cat for another foster carer while they were away. Man, they go through a lot of food! Hubby has asked for a couple of weeks' break after these two are adopted :D

Kittens/cats climbing on your desk and walking over your laptop are not conducive to RPG Maker-ing. Or to anything else.

Kawers and Marquise* like this.
  10. Marquise*

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    @Shaz I go between SOLI's apartment and mine and for the gazing I am to leave my 2 one there with the white sumo. But I should do as proposed; let them a week there and just return home to read the forum and stuff. I understand the need for a break with a new feline to socialize ^^. Fortunately they age faster than babies. (Unfortunately, it also means we cannot keep them as long as we want. ^^ DC is 16 now.)

Shaz likes this.
  11. Boonty

Boonty Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I aim to have my HUDs (battle, map and party) and menu backgrounds and structures finished by the end of the month.

I don't know for you but I can't totally focus on eventing if they are not under their almost final version !

PS : do you know a good plugin for displaying the map name in a corner during exploration phase ?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  12. Chiara

Chiara Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    New year, yay!
    And, who would've thought, I finally tidied up my desk. That one won't distract me anymore (, until in about three weeks, when it'll be covered in paper and notebooks and everything again).

My january goals:
    • design. I want to focus on design. NPCs that appear in the flesh/are part of the main game get priority. Most of them are rescues from 'old story concept' limbo so those will be mostly redesigns, meaning I might save some time. I'm sure I won't get all of them done but some would be nice
    As for 2019 goals:
    • making enough progress to have something playable would be nice
    Also, I really need to finish this cursed sketchbook. I started it three years ago and it's still not filled up. Dx

Shaz, mobiusclimber and Thothdan like this.
  13. Ryisunique

Ryisunique Detective, AUEI Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Ah, maybe with the decrease in work days, I will get something done this month. (Insert laughing face here.)

For January, my biggest thing will be to complete the graphics for my one room challenge. The map, the characters, the pineapple. Maybe I can look into the starting event as well.

For 2019, I want to get half way through my two beginning projects. Curious Cases, I would like to have everything planned (the story's down, but I need events, evidence buildup, maps and graphics to work on.) The second project, even it being a fan one, I would like to get done.

Marquise*, Shaz and mobiusclimber like this.
  14. Astfgl66

Astfgl66 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Another year in which I won't have much time to dedicate to making.
    I hope to make a few plugins here and there and advance a long term project.

Wishing you all a happy new year and success in all your endeavors!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    Marquise* and Shaz like this.
  15. AceOfAces_Mod

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Progress Report #2:

Nothing much here... I recently got a few programming books to flesh out my programming skills (the newest one is rather neat).
    [​IMG]
    Maybe I'll pick a few more.

Shaz and Kawers like this.
  16. Schlangan

Schlangan A madman with a computer Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Goals... goals.... Oh, I know. Finishing the entire chapter II would be a nice goal for a whole year. This is still far away though... As for the goals of January, let's finish mission II-9. Sounds good.

And since I'm here, let's speak of progress concerning the aforementioned mission; I'm done mapping the Hell Fair, a place in the Death Realm which commemorates the sealed entrance to Jigoku, the real frozen hell. Since that planet was too cold, they put flames everywhere for the fair, hence the usual "hell is burning". For once, jokes in both languages (french/english) are directly written on the buildings.

I need to add all NPCs now, randomly generated for most of them of course. We'll also see some dead enemies from chapter I, kind of guest stars in this chapter; after all any dead can visit the fair ! Two screen captures in spoilers for the entrance, and one of the attractions I had fun drawing.

] upload_2019-1-1_20-19-32.png

Marquise*, Chiara and Shaz like this.
  17. Marquise*

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    @Schlangan this is funny! ^^
    @Chiara Awww finishing your scrapbook is not a race. :3 Quality over quantity. ^^ I am certain you'll love to have most relevant art than a pack of sketches that means nothing to you ^^ It will be more precious that way!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    Chiara likes this.
  18. Chiara

Chiara Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Marquise* : But that's what a sketchbook is to me. A place to stuff in visual thoughts, to just move my hand holding a pen, basically a book-shaped representation of my brain. : D

Progress Update:
    • some really minor planning
    I managed to exhaust myself tidying up my desk earlier that day so I wasn't of much use most of the rest of the day.
    I did, however, fill up half a page of sketchbook, so yay for that.

Today, I have some paperwork things to tackle, so I doubt I'll have much energy left over for productivity.

Shaz and Marquise* like this.
  19. AceOfAces_Mod

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Progress Report #3:

RPG Maker MV Cook Tool:
    -Boy, I feel like an idiot with a choice I made. As I was reading the latest book for a bit (Writing High-Performance .NET Code), I noticed that I can use Visual Studio's Performance Profiler to see how my app runs. I ran it and I found out that I've done goofed on how I asked info from the UI. Since the task that handles the compilation runs on the background, I can't ask the UI to do something from a background thread. So I need to invoke the Dispatcher to get the UI to run a bit of code. I've done so many Dispatch.Invoke calls that it bogged down the UI, making it sluggish. Especially when I wanted to read something from the UI. Once I optimized the calls, I was shocked that the UI was far, far more responsive. Even Visual Studio agrees with that.
    [​IMG]
    So rather than locking up the UI for a second or two, it's almost unnoticeable.
    I still need to optimize it, but that's already an improvement.

-Fixed a few minor bugs as well.
    -Working on adding a cancel button.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    Shaz and Marquise* like this.
  20. sleepy_sealion

sleepy_sealion Need to work harder! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'd like to start developing - something again. Kind of fell off the rpg development train.
    Maybe like to start sharing personal scripts more to get more feedback, on how to optimize them too.

So my goal is to just try not to get burned out on this and put some groundwork in for a short project.

Shaz, Marquise* and Ryisunique like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.