January Goals and Progress Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bgillisp, Jan 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Me too :(

I decided I didn't like the old FSM winter trees alongside the new FSM green trees, so had a stab at recolouring. It's not tooooo bad, but a little too purple and a little too dark. So I'll be trying to fix that today.

Listing 2 cutscenes in the first chapter that I need to alter slightly (or maybe slightly alter one and completely overhaul the other). Too much walking happening, so changing to have the bulk of the conversations in one or two places and using fading/transferring to remove the boring walking.

Marquise* likes this.
  2. AceOfAces_Mod

AceOfAces_Mod Engineering to infinity! Veteran

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Progress Report #6:
    Immortal Sins:
    -Continuing the renovations for the interior maps.

Misc:
    -Experimented with Progressive Web Apps. I was able to have the Edge Android browser to treat the website as an app, there were technical issues when it tried to read the database. I tried to fix it but I had concerns about leaving my assets exposed. Maybe I could make a separate game where I can explore this better...

Marquise* and Shaz like this.
  3. Schlangan

Schlangan A madman with a computer Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Some progress here, the maps of the south village of Jigoku, with all the characters found in there. Since only ice exists in Jigoku, everything is made of ice, whether it is ice wood or ice stone.

upload_2019-1-12_10-35-51.png

Next, I completed the extreme cold path leading to the castle. You'll encounter monsters looking like landscapes elements, not moving, and suddenly attacking you. Capture below.

upload_2019-1-12_10-33-29.png

In terms of mecahnics, the team characters are frozen at the beginning of each encounter, and their attack are considerably weaker because of the cold. Also, they've got a ice DoT, for which the damage becomes higher when your HP decreases. In other words, if you don't heal fast enough, the cold will kill you.

I'm also done with a map that seems useless for now, some frozen garden, but the map will be required in a spring version in later chapters, so I needed to be sure that we see those places in the ice hell version.

Next step will be the maps of the castle of Jigoku. Several new elements for the tileset will be required to draw/recolor, of course.

Marquise*, Shaz and Chiara like this.
  4. Chiara

Chiara Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Progress Update:
    • finished another preliminary character design. I'm going for speed now rather than pretty. I'm still not sure about this one's colour scheme, but I'll figure it out
    Today I want to tackle a few characters whose original designs were done about ten years ago. I have vague directions for them in mind so it'll be interesting to... see them again, basically.

5. BreakerZero

BreakerZero Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Milestone 0.5.9 achieved. Fixed a bug with the panicked patient extension to my coronary scene and used the opportunity to adjust the flow to read properly. Was supposed to check with your ailing crew member, the attendant, the panicking patient and then go back to the attendant so you can leave, allowing the retrofit team to go in and do their work on your associate. Also made it so that the affected crew member splits from involvement after the initial biologic warning, and I have it to where it hits during the course of a major plot twist... and by extension, it makes her legitimately second-guess herself.

6. BreakerZero

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Now at milestone 0.5.10 and found yet another issue. Counting was game-breaking off in progressing the coronary scene meaning that I had to adjust the flow yet again. I will also be starting the countdown for my preview this evening so be on the lookout for my wish list info.

Marquise* likes this.
  7. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    1.12 Update:
    -Tweaking dialogue lines. Nothing too exciting to report, though I did go through Chapters 3 - 8 in the last few days. It's mainly very light wording changes, or changing who says what line to be consistent with their characters. It's just slow going as I find after about 20 - 30 minutes of all that reading I have to stop so I don't miss something due to fatigue.

@BreakerZero : Use an edit next time if there is no posts after yours and 72 hours have not passed, as what you did there is double posting. Thanks.

Shaz likes this.
  8. Chez

Chez TheLastYuriSamurai Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Happy to finally have some screenshots to show off for the game I'm making for the 2019 Ace jam!!! Ace of Hearts takes place mostly inside a tabletop that 3 close friends (and their exasperated game master) are all playing in honor of the party leader (and Asexual GAYmer extraordinaire)'s birthday. As of right now I have 8 alternate endings planned and a talent based system where the stats you choose to level will effect what endings you can unlock!!
    castleentrance.png churchoutside.png

Punamaagi likes this.
  9. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    1.13 Update: Decided to look over my original goals and see where I stand on them at this point in the month. Original goals and notes in spoiler.

-Make a true title screen. What I got is functional and could work if I don't come up with one, but I'd prefer to have an official one. Not started
    -Fix the Chapter 2 reveal scene and the Chapter 9 confrontation cutscene. But are awkward at best and need a revision. Chapter 2 done, as is any scene that references it. Chapter 9 not started.
    -Add animations or missing objects to 4 cutscenes (two in Chapter 5, one in Chapter 7, one in Chapter 9). This may require commissioning 2 sprites. Can't find the sprite for the Chapter 5 1st scene, rewrote Chapter 5 2nd scene so no sprite is needed. Chapter 7 we will do without as it was just an optional silly sprite to add a little humor to it. Chapter 9 will need a commission.
    -Minor balance changes to Chapter 9 I'd like to make based on my notes on my last playthrough. Done

Technical changes:
    -Find a fix for the F12 being a reset of the game that I like. I have an idea for it, but I want to do it last. Found a script by Archeia that might fix it, haven't tested it yet. Waiting until all cutscene fixes are done in case it breaks my save games.
    -Make a small change to the victory aftermath to see if I can prevent silly responses after a boss fight. I have an idea on how to do that, just need time to implement it. Not started.
    -Optional quest arrows. Since the game is large I want to add an option to turn on quest arrows to point to which city you should go to next, or where in town you should go to now, for those players who want something like that. Now, for the times you are supposed to be lost (like the Mushroom Caves), they will be disabled, but outside of that. Currently implemented to end of Chapter 2, need to add the rest. Added, though untested. Need to do a speedrun to make sure they work.

Business end changes: Nothing started on this end yet.
    -Get a business email and bank account.
    -Update the trailer.
    -Make a video to also show off the combat in the game as some have asked to see it (as I show no combat in the trailer). I've got some candidates already recorded, just need to decide if they do what I want them to or not.
    -Update the game thread and demo.

Shaz, Marquise* and Schlangan like this.
  10. Schlangan

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm done with the tileset of the castle, at least the outside part. To do so, I bought the Fantastic Buildings:Medieval pack from Laura Fehér. Though, I was quite disappointed to see it wasn't a proper tileset, but only pre-made buildings. Anyways, I still managed to cut out the towers I needed for my castle and I could edit them at my own convenience. In spoilers the entire castle, apart from the doors leading to the towers, which are not drawn yet (map seen from RPG Maker's interface, hence it's zoomed out and you won't see all fogs and tint effects)

upload_2019-1-13_14-53-18.png

I have now started the interior of the castle. The king of Jigoku, Zinyr, has been designed too. I need to work on the seven generals who guard him, and start the cutscenes inside the castle. Things are progressing steadily.

Chiara, Shaz, Marquise* and 1 other person like this.
  11. artoni

artoni Writer, Editor Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Whups, left my skill notes at work. Guess that's on pause until Tuesday.

Recorded a quick 5 minutes video of the opening and shared it with some people. Goals now are as follows;

Already fixed the tree tiles.
    SHORT TERM
    • Finish Connor's Cove
      • Needs only a few NPCs as well as the inn created
    • Begin NPCwork on Crescent Port
      • Also consider messages regarding locked doors? Since like hell I'm creating every. dayum. Interior. Of this city.
    • Event meeting Leandro

LONG TERM
    • Finish the sewer
      • Includes encountering the
    • Ensure messages contain correct color codes
      • Am I using macros or not?

Shaz and Marquise* like this.
  12. AceOfAces_Mod

AceOfAces_Mod Engineering to infinity! Veteran

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Progress Report #7:

RPG Maker MV Cook Tool:
    -Recently overhauled the code that compiles the JavaScript files. It uses fully the BackgroundWorker class (which provides a nice way to cancel a background task). Aside from being more efficient than the previous overhaul, it also allows me to add a cancel button so the user can stop the task.
    [​IMG]
    Now if I can figure out how to properly handle the errors...

Immortal Sins:
    -Continuing the re-designs in maps.

13. BreakerZero

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Demo page should be up and running soon on my Steam account. Also I am at 0.5.11 and found one last glitch in the coronary scene (basically I forgot to advance the calculations at the exit that's required to advance the story) which is a major bug as the affected crew member goes splits until you are done in the area... which, of course, is for obvious reasons. Also used the opportunity to streamline the flow and changed the exit door to respond only when it's time to head out again.

Okay... make that 0.5.12 now. As of tonight I've decided I'm gonna do it. There really is so much more that I'd like to do for which an extended story ain't gonna do no justice... so off that prospect I am indeed going to have to go sequel plan. To compensate for this (and set things up for the future Mrs. Meyers) I decided to pull a trick from the MCU playbook and provide a tease of what's to come in one final cutscene situated immediately upon the post-credit mark... with a rather humourous result for good measure. (Also gave me a chance to use some updates to my other assets that I was going to reference much earlier in the story but for which I ultimately decided that a straight transition to her new self would be more than sufficient.)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  14. Chiara

Chiara Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Progress Update:
    • some minor organizing of files
    • made a reference table with all NPCs' heights and ages and everything so I don't have to go through a billion sheets of paper every time I draw one of them (note to self: Need to look for my Island Crawler notes, I still need Erika's height)
    • preliminary design for Kay. That one was fun, I first drew him a little over ten years ago, he was a 19ish year old kid back then and a protagonist for something that grew way too big. Now he's aged a bit, and is a humble NPC with a minor critical path and a somewhat bigger optional content role
    Probably won't be doing anything productive today and tomorrow, but I know who the next two designs will be.

Marquise*, Punamaagi and Shaz like this.
  15. Confederacy

Confederacy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Wow jeez, it's hard to believe I haven't posted on this forum for over a year... well actually I can, 2018 was a horrible year for me. But anyways, after watching a bunch of Resident Evil 2's remake footage, I started to get the RPG Making bug again and started coming up with ideas of a "Turn-Based Survival RPG™" that wears its inspirations on its sleeves (I won't lie, I'm taking a lot of inspiration from the RE series and partially Silent Hill, and uh... Twin Peaks too?).

Normally I try to plan out what I've set, but I literally just started working on it on Saturday so I'll just post what I've achieved so far:
    • Got a good amount of scripts plugged in, also reworked the battle hud.
    • Mapped out the first location, roughly 95% complete other than adding some extra details it's pretty much good to go for eventing the story.
    • Neglected my girlfriend for most of the day
    I've also been tinkering with a "fog of war" idea where rooms are concealed upon entering and are revealed when entering it. However, since this is a somewhat of a horror game, rooms you were in will be hidden when you head into another room. If I remember, I'll try to post an example when I get home today from work.

But that's it for now! I'll try to post frequently about any updates I make further with this game before I give up like all my other projects.

16. BreakerZero

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    0.5.14 now. Completed the post-credits scene with the continuance notice added. I also decided on my final surprise at this point as well - basically the joke is that their daughter has the same telepath sense of her mother, and it comes even before full birth. Physical communication is another matter, of course... and yet she is curious about the world in her own way and goes total stoneface on the realization. Obviously, mama immediately questions the odds as the scene ends to set things up for what is still to come.

Also, I'm jumping a milestone because of the amount of material going in at this point in terms of project progress and the fact that I have slightly redone my credit scene by making a video of it using both in-engine material and screen capture additions (and that's before considering the philosophical issues associated with not doing so). That and they both get the bleep at the realization, plus I totally redid the default sprite sheet for MV in relation to battle calculations so that it better matches the retro presentation that I'm going for.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  17. Schlangan

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Progress, more progress, wooooooohh..... *still progressing*

The first maps of the interior of the castle are done, and we finally met the king of Jigoku, Zinyr, with his seven generals of hell. While we have a team composed of Schlangan, Zestar (final boss of chapter I), and Agenusha (boss stronger than Zestar we fought a few missions ago), the king is certain to win against them if necessary !

upload_2019-1-14_22-57-21.png

After the cutscene, the seven generals are sent to the village to kill some people and capture Schlangan's team. Hence we fight against Ni-Ran, the second general in terms of power. As he is stronger than Zestar in fact, I fear that an unavoidable defeat will fall on the team. A few screen captures to show the faceset and the side-view actor.

upload_2019-1-14_22-59-46.png
    upload_2019-1-14_23-0-6.png

Next steps will be to design Ni-Ran's skills, and go back to the castle to see what the other team is doing. Little by little, we're getting closer to the end of the mission.

For the generals, the seven of them have almost the same appearance. The only change is the crystal on their forehead and eye color. Each general is associated to an element, and a japanese number (Shichi-Ran, Roku-Ran, and so on, up to Ichi-Ran). The corresponding chinese character is written on the crystal too. But don't worry, their skills will be different too :)

Marquise*, Chiara and Shaz like this.
  18. Chez

Chez TheLastYuriSamurai Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Schlangan Your art looks amazing.

So I got the rough map done!!! It needs a lot more detail but I'm happy to have the rough shape and areas done!!
    map.png

mobiusclimber and Shaz like this.
  19. Confederacy

Confederacy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    In reference to my earlier post, here is a gif of what I've been working on map wise so far for most of today. Work in progress though, I've yet to come up with an idea to combat the door gaps that appear between each hidden room.

Marquise*, mobiusclimber and Shaz like this.
  20. BreakerZero

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    0.5.15 now and I've updated my spiritual assist that unlocks after the coronary scene. It's now current up to the final objective of chapter four and has been expanded to include a necessary side quest from the main progression by which another important clue awaits... paired with an unexpected plot twist that you're not gonna see coming.

Marquise* likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.