VideoWizard

Dragon Kingdoms Series producer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Looks like it's that time again- time for a new goals and progress thread!

So it looks like January is up next. January can still be a tough little month with New Year's resolutions, post-holiday obligations, and of course the return to colleges and schools. On top of that, it is the coldest month of the year in many places, but at least the days are slowly getting longer. And there's JanNoWriMo, which is like a minor version of NaNoWriMo, that takes place in January rather than November.

I hope others will join in so that we can encourage each other to make some significant progress through this month. Whether it's a part of your game, a tileset your working on, art, writing, music - let us know what you are up to and how it's going!
Previous: December Goals & Progress Thread

Next: February Goals & Progress Thread

Last edited by a moderator:

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Ah, I guess January is only a few days away now. Well, I'm going to state my year's goals too, just because it's that time of year.

YEAR

Release Pixel Myth Corsair and Germania's character pack. Update Germania with a few odds and ends.

Release an expansion for the Old School tiles at the end of August.

Release at least one of the sets I've been working on but haven't told the forums about yet.

MONTH

Make a huge dent in the character pack. All bases and concepts finished at bare minimum.

Finish at least one ship for Corsair.

Send out the update for Germania.

Ms Littlefish

Dangerously Caffeinated
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Year

• I would in all seriousness like some working demo of one of my projects, probably my side project, up by this year. My side project is not intended to be a very long game, so maybe even complete it this year.
  • If that's the case I'd really love to start actual map and event work on my main project as well as right now it is mostly a heap of notes, music, and wayward drawings.
  • I have a certain, special music project that if I actually focus on should be done by spring.
Month

• Start working on my certain, special music project.
  • Start revamping some old songs I want to put together into a spot that shall be dubbed my free resource thread.
  • Make some maps!
  • I'm actually going to start (to attempt) drawing busts for my side project. Wow! I have to work on my line art first, though. Well. And my coloring. Geez.

Goatrider

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Month:

Completely map out the main city for my game 'gears of obscura'. Also I'm reverting back to sideview battles so I'd like to get some progress using battle symphony( I made a full 8d sprite sheet for my main character today so that's a start).

Year:

Would love to get a demo out early in the year and finish it by the end of the year.

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Heh cool! So we're doing a yearly one as well? Sure, why not.

Well, I think I've managed to get all my December goals done, so I'm pretty pleased with that!

Month:

- Start mapping and story eventing of Incitement 3

- Create a thread on Incitement 3

- Make more things for ReStaff

Year:

- Finish and release Incitement 3 (probably by mid year)

- Start on my next project and possibly finish it (closer to the end of the year)

- Contribute to every ReStaff release in the year

- Take part in more contests. I didn't have the time for IGMC this year, so hopefully something similar comes up in 2015.

- Play more RM games

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Java's Crypt
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
In January, I want to:

• Release two new demo versions of Orange Season, with several new features in each.
  • Manage to make my own animations
In 2015, I want to

• Finish Orange Season (In Q2, I hope)
  • Advertise it

R4B

✨Coffee is my spirit animal✨
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
2015:

• Create a thread for my Farming RPG
  • Release a demo for my game

January:

• Get the basic tiles done so that I can continue with the actual game

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Ms Littlefish: You should do art trades. Your art is good enough to make it relatively easy for a different artist to do their own interpretation and your music is top notch. I bet you could get some really great art in trade for your compositions, and the artists would feel like they got the better end of the deal.

R4B: As someone who's made a few sets before I should warn you, one month isn't enough for what you've got left to do on that tileset. You could reduce your work load a bit if you make it compatible with already existing stuff. If you decide to do that I could help, I keep an eye out for really good 16x16 tiles and make some myself.

Galenmereth

Retired
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
2015:

• Release The Vendor: Breaking Even (tentative title)
  • Probably spend a lot of time on minor patches for The Vendor
  • Make a Tactics-like scene/"engine" in Ace
January

• Settle on - and start implementing - the itemization structure of The Vendor
  • Make good progress on the overarching story for The Vendor

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Year Goals/Resolutions:

- Put out a working demo of both my main project and my side project (my cancelled IGMC entry).

- Contribute to some Restaff's

January:

- Finish mapping indoors of the main city.

Here's hoping some of these goals will actually happen, unlike my goal of December. ^^;

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Year:

-Post the updated demo for my game.

-Implement Chapters 4 - 6 of the game. More would be nice, but let's be realistic here.

Month:

-Polish up the current chapters (1 - 3).

-Implement the start of chapter 4, up to where the party has to travel across the map (the game really opens up there, as there are many ways to make it to point B on this journey).

-Finish naming the remaining villians (some still need names), now that motives have been set for everyone in this game.

-Add events related to some of the new villians and characters that will be introduced in chapter 4, so they don't just appear out of the blue.

Should be doable, as I actually have most of the month off until January 28th, and am done traveling now for the holidays.

Ms Littlefish

Dangerously Caffeinated
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks, Sharm. I've been considering art trades and out-sourcing my art at times. I have some pretty good sketches of what I want my characters to look like so I think I'd be very happy with the results because of that. I always have my music to offer back to artists and I'm very happy you think I could trade with it, too. :)

At the same time I've gotten a lot of great feedback and tips from artists I admire, have really gotten the hang of my tablet, and my sketches have improved dramatically over the course of the year. Though, I haven't posted any of my recent sketches. So, I definitely have the fire to try and make my own game art. I'll give it the good old college try first.

Red_Venture

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Well I've got some real work ahead of me, being kinda new and all.

Year:

-Finish one short game.

-Get recruited for at least one game project.

Month:

-Get RPGM VX Ace installed to my computer (still need to get bootcamp up and running).

-Play at least one RPGMaker game.

-Finish basic outline for first game.

Ralpf

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
As my main computer is on the fritz, I'm gonna start learning Ruby this month.

As I haven't started (so hard to judge how difficult it might be) and have never tried to learn a programming language outside of a classroom setting it hard to say what a reasonable goal might be. I guess just to keep at it would be my goal.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm very busy right now, but I think I could make my goal to be finishing my custom battle system. That would be easier than making progress to my games right now... :3

VideoWizard

Dragon Kingdoms Series producer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
First the bad news: This will be the final progress thread that I post, until further notice, barring certain circumstances. 

I actually had considered closing this one originally, but there probably are too many posts in it now to do so. 

Now that that's off my chest, here's my plans for January.

Dragon Kingdoms Remake (still working title): I want to start on the opening town and some surrounding areas, now that the intro is licked.

Dawn of a New Era comic: I have four storyline paths to complete, still. Hopefully I can complete at least one.

Dragon Kingdoms VI: Hoping to finally, finally get this started. 

November and December were not kind to progress in the projects.

Best bet is Jan. 5-11 and 12-18. Worst is Jan. 26- Feb. 1 (due to the Super Bowl). Maybe no activity whatsoever Jan. 31-Feb. 1. So-so is Jan. 1-4 (New Year's) and Jan. 19-25 (long weekend due to MLK Day on the 19th).

Peridot Gaming

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ok, so I thought I'd better get it put down somewhere what I'm hoping to achieve:

January

- Complete my first small side project.

Year

- Make some decent progress into this years main project.

Now I just need to get off my lazy butt and do these.  :o

R4B

✨Coffee is my spirit animal✨
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
@Videowizard: Why would you remove it, as sharm said you literally have to do nothing to keep the thread up, and besides that, It's not even your idea, if i'm not mistaken mlogan started the whole post your progress thread thing which was based on another thread she posted. if it wasn't for the fact that you keep posting these threads a couple days early she or someone else would have probably done it!

@Sharm (referring to post #8): With basic tiles I mean really just the basics, like water, dirt and grass. I think I can get that done before february. I appreciate you offering your help finding tilesets but I really want the game to look unique and while I think the other 16x16 tilesets look awesome none of them fit what I had in mind for my game.

Ms Littlefish

Dangerously Caffeinated
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's correct, R4B. mlogan has been doing this as a tradition ever since she posted it during IGMC. The original thread is massive and it was a happy place where many of the contest participants could not only keep on their track and get encouraged and reassurance on the work they shared, but unwind during a fast paced and hectic time and relieve themselves of their temporary insanity. I also made a lot of lasting friendships because of the original thread. Still talk daily with many of the people who posted. mlogan has kept it going because a brilliant side effect is we've actually been working more!

But, Video Wizard. Everyone is right. No need to close this. Just come on in and have fun with us! If you really like these threads you'll never have to worry about them getting posted. mlogan has plans to keep this going and to try and include some nifty fun things along the way.

Well, anyway. Back on track. After I get caffeinated I'm--

• going to work on a bust template. I don't want to rely on them too much but I think having some things laid out on a template at this time would really help me out and that I would still be able to customize and change plenty on the template as I start making individual characters. It will definitely help me make sure everything is the same size and proportion and whatnot. 

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Valentines Entry, first contest I'm in and it is so much fun to just participate!
Anatomy is really hard. I'm not an artist.
just destroyed hours of work again. i don't know why I bother.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waseemkhan