January Goals & Progress Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mlogan, Dec 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chiara

Chiara Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Iavra: Yay for the finished particle thing! : D
    @Chaos17: That's some pretty good progress. Yay!
    @taarna23: It sounds like you're getting closer to being done, or does it only seem to me to be like that?
    @BlackRoseMii: Good luck with recruitment/figuring out balancing. :) I know it's one of the things I'll be bugging a friend about when I get to it since I'm also of the "I don't have a clue on how to do this thing" camp when it comes to balancing.
    @bgillisp: The ever-elusive Self Switch A. : D
    @Marquise*: If the feature doesn't work, check for typos in the name (I spell-check things almost compulsively). And yay for being better! :)
    @TheOriginalFive: So somebody can both be a joke NPC and pretty important to the world building? That's interesting.

Progress, 22nd:
    Drawing time: 237 minutes

• finished line drawing for #2 and began with the one for #3. The latter will need some line weight adjustments, but first, I need to draw in some more detail stuff as well as the pillars I neglected because I was preoccupied with drawing tiles in 2-point-perspective

Progress, 23rd:
    Drawing time: 356 minutes

• finished the line drawing for #3 and fixed some minor things for all of them. Then I started adding in flat values, but got distracted
    • began preparing the environment sketches for painting by slapping in some textures/photographs to get some more detail in and did a first paint-over pass. #3 irks me with its current setup. Need to go back and make the values look more decent :rswt2:

Work In Progress:

(you can still see the photographs peeking out. Those will be gone after one or two more hours of painting; I used them to kickstart the process):
    [​IMG]
    Actually, I could stop now, but I do need some more environment paintings for my portfolio. Maybe I'll stop right before I could get rid of the lineart (my portfolio's lacking in that regard), I'll see.

2. TheOriginalFive

TheOriginalFive Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Chiara He started as a joke NPC, but his role's growing to more than that.

3. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    I would like to show you something in the form of a mise-en-scène;

"IT ESCAAAAAAAAAAAPED~!"

View attachment 29625

Now I let you guess what has supposed to had escaped!

(well partly... you see; it is just a few parts from the rear!)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2016
    Chaos17, R4B and Chiara like this.
  4. Chaos17

Chaos17 Dreamer Veteran

First Language:
    French
    @chiara : those drawing are cool :)

Chiara likes this.
  5. Iavra

Iavra Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    After i got the first version of the particle engine out and fixed some bugs, i'm currently alternating between multiple projects:

- Refactoring the particle engine by taking inspiration from both Proton (http://a-jie.github.io/Proton/) and Flint (http://flintparticles.org/). Do you know any other good particle engines (in a language that's not too different from Java or JavaScript, if possible), that i could incorporate?

For now, the engine will be split into 5 plugins (core, counters, initializers, behaviours, zones) for easier maintenance, but it shouldn't be too hard to join them up again, incase someone doesn't want to bloat their PluginManager with it.

- Getting used to GLSL, so i can continue writing on my WebGL filter/shader library.

- I wanted to create a lighting framework, but so far i've only read some ray-tracing theory and haven't even started writing code.

None of this is really scheduled to be finished this month, since i very much completed everything i wanted to do, already.

6. Schlangan

Schlangan A madman with a computer Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Chiara : Gravity always pulls things towards the center of the planet. Now, for water, you still have the influence on moons and other satellites. You can do the maths if you prefer :D

@Iavra : Instead of alpha values which can be tricky especially with semi translucent pictures, why not use a mask in 8-bit. Either 0 or 1 to define the collision limit. That way, masks are small pictures which should load very quickly. I'll test your plugin later.

@Chaos17 : Yes, prepare your plugins in advance. It will avoid any unecessay trouble. For the animations, I have more trouble trying to draw animations files of this quality :x

@taarna23 : Good if you're done with the dungeons passageways and events.

@BlackRoseMii : Think of balancing like that : I don't want to have a character that makes the others pointless, and ou don't enemies too easy or too hard.

@bgillisp : In my city many places cannot be entered; either you don't have the key, or NPcs guard passages. In the main base for example, the soldiers we play say themselves that it is pointless to exit the main building by the front door during the initial missions. But I often add changes in maps that we visit before, so I have to be careful.

@Deshy: For MV I use Terrax's plugins who didn't code battle lights either. So in the end, I did it myself using his code as a base, in order to keey the lighting within battles too.

@Marquise* : You can't tag my name because you forget the c after the S; Schlangan, not Shlangan :p  Good luck for your eternal $EvilGod :D

@TheOriginalFive : Always be careful with old people. They are not always what they apear to be :D

My update :

I wasn't home this weekend, so I couldn't progress much. I only finished the space minigame, with one bug left to annihilate. More progress should unfold little by little this week.

Marquise* and Chaos17 like this.
  7. Iavra

Iavra Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Image collision is going to be reworked, anyway, and is currently put aside.

Apart from the "big" particle engine i'm also working on a simple version, that functions a bit different:

- The big one has the user add initializers and behaviours to the emitter, which are used to setup and modify particles over their lifespan.

- The simple one has the user subclass the particle class, which handles its own update function.

This makes the simple one much smaller, since their are no initializers or behaviours included. I'd say, that it also allows more freedom, since particles can be tailored towards a specific effect, but there are no templates to pick from.

8. Sated

Sated puking up frothing vitriolic sarcastic spittle Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A

[​IMG]

Sometimes the simplest things are the most gratifying. Finally working on an actual dungeon with actual gameplay for my RTP project, mostly involving moving minecarts around because who doesn't love a stereotypical minecart-based dungeon? There's also going to be spiders; lots of spiders.

This cart is intended as a show-not-tell kinda tutorial. You enter the dungeon from the bottom, and I assume most people will interact with the cart once they see it. Since they come from the bottom, they should push it up the tracks, thus learning that the carts can indeed be pushed.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2016
    Marquise* likes this.
  9. AceOfAces_Mod

AceOfAces_Mod Engineering to infinity! Veteran

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Iavra, The work you've done with the particle engine is pretty interesting. I'd like to give it a shot but I don't have MV on my Steam library, so it will take a while until then.

Haven't done much since I'm busy with the tests so the only thing I can share are a few ideas I have in the works:

-Make the backup system so it backs up the save files every time the folder is modified.

-Add the option to always skip the launcher and launch the game immediately.

-This will require me to build an HTML5 game, but I was thinking of an HTML5 Player that uses .NET, Windows Presentation Framework (which uses hardware acceleration) and Chrome Embedded Framework.

Marquise* likes this.
  10. Chaos17

Chaos17 Dreamer Veteran

First Language:
    French
    I tried the ammano plugin and decided that I won't use it since it's similar to Yanfly items cost which I already use.

I'm still trying to figure out what systems should I put instead, I want the game still be interesting but it won't be a long game (well, I hope so, lol).

Also like you know, I am totally into the idea of evolving same equipements or skills, lol.

So my plan was to evolve a skill after X use, I found a plugin which do that but it didn't work :(

I might give it a chance again because I am not interested in JP plugin of Yanfly at the moment.

Edit : never mind, the plugin finaly works! YAY!

Marquise* likes this.
  11. jaypee

jaypee hobbyist Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Keep it up guys the amount of post and replies to this thread shows everyone is working hard to finish their goals cheers! currently finished my game just play testing and finding/fixing some bugs I encounter as I play along.

12. hiddenone

hiddenone Lurker Extraordinaire Moderator

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Chiara - Yup, those are burn marks by the oven (neither of my leading ladies should be allowed anywhere near a kitchen).  Your environments are looking great, I really love the river gate.  :)
    @Marquise*- That squid/alien/monster is terrifying.  Any heroes who saw that running towards them would flee as fast as possible.
    @Sated - I like how you set up that cart tutorial, since I know the first thing I'd do is try to push it.

I've figured out how I want the attack for one of my characters to work, and so far it's working perfectly.  When you attack with that character, you have the option to hit one of the arrow keys to select what part of the enemy you'll hit (which means you probably shouldn't try to hit the head of helmeted foes, and a leg strike on a flying monster just won't work).  However I realized that it's not super obvious as to what you're supposed to do, so I've been setting up a battle introduction that will pretty much shout what to do if you're having trouble.

[​IMG]

Also ended up making a helmet since my guards and soldiers needed it. :p

13. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Schlangan: That's one way to handle it. I've started making some buildings closed for remodeling or things like that to keep the party out of them until Chapter 5 or so.

@larva: Adds checking out the particle engine to the to do list.

@Sated: Spiders. Some NPC's in my game want a word with you, as they hate spiders.

@chaos17: Isn't it nice when plugins work?

@jaypee: Congrats on being done! Planning to release the game on here soon?

@hiddenone: Sounds like an interesting system. Did you write the plug-in for that yourself?

1.23 - 1.25 Update: Finished mapping the fairy town of Aurora, started putting in the shops. Taking a while though as I have certain items that are not for sale until Chapter 5 due to a supply shortage, so having to event 2 versions of things in case the party wanders this way earlier than they should. Disputing putting a monster on the road to block them, though a good Chapter 2 party might be able to beat it too.

Right now pondering some ideas on plot flow here, and work is going to keep me busy this week. Probably will brainstorm things for Chapter 5, and return to polish some things from Chapters 2 and 3 in the meantime.

Marquise* likes this.
  14. Schlangan

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Iavra :  Having a small version is good too, since sometimes we don't need all functiosn at once, only the minimum to achieve our goals.

@Sated : We're going to interact with the cart if your game makes us used to interact with everything; Else, we might consider it only part of the landscape, and ignore it.

@AceOfAces_Mod : Instead of bothering with another HTML5 player, why won't you simply create two shortcuts during your install; one to start the launcher, the other one to directly launch the game ?

@Chaos17 : A way to do the skill evolution without plugins: add a common event to the skill, increasing the value of a variable. Once the variable is equal to a given value, the actor will forget the skill and learn its evolution. You can also copy the same skills for different actors in order to have one common event per evolving skill per actor (if several actors have the same skills)

@jaypee  : Good luck for your debug !

@hiddenone : Nice system! It forces the player to think a bit then :D I did something simlar with a boss in several parts, you could attack different parts.

@bgillisp : You should always consider a case where for some reason the party is overleveld, indeed. In one of my missions, the boss is stronger than you, forcing Schlangan to appear and help you. But, if for some reason the player had extremely trained, they could beat the boss. Hence I have anoter parallel cutscene if you beat the boss with the soldiers.

My update :

I was extremely tired yesterday, so I only started the cutscene before "landing" on the planet. Tonight I'll work on the sand desert part of the tileset for the planet.

Marquise* and Chaos17 like this.
  15. Iavra

Iavra Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    I'm planning to rework the engine a bit. The current barebone plugin (~300-400 lines) is basically feature-complete and allows the creation of simple emitters, without needing to confuse the user with behaviours, initializers and 10 line emitter creations. It's all inside the particle class.

/edit: The base plugin only contains 3 classes: Particle, Factory and Emitter, of which only the first one needs to be subclassed. On top of that comes a "counter" object, that defines the functions "start(emitter)" and "update(emitter)", which should return the number of particles to emit on emitter start/update.

On top of that, i'll add a second plugin, that introduces an extended particle class with hooks for behaviours, initializers and comes with a bunch of predefined ones. It's heavier and probably a bit slower, performance-wise (since each behaviour is an additional function call per particle per frame), but overall easier to use, since you don't need to deal with physics yourself.

Marquise* likes this.
  16. SwarleyPilgrim

SwarleyPilgrim Internet Billionaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'm currently working on taking a game full of sopywritten material, and working around it all. Taking free to use resources such as music and sprites, as well as adding plugins and generally remaking the game. Hoping to release the game in chapter form, and work on the first chapter has been going swimmingly so far.

Having some trouble replacing jokes with other jokes without have the copywritten material, but that's that. What's cut will be cut. Some things are actually turning out to be funnier! =D

A demo will be released on Valentines Day regardless of if everything is done or not, just to hear some input. Hopefully I can get all the copywritten stuff out of there by then.

Marquise* likes this.
  17. AceOfAces_Mod

AceOfAces_Mod Engineering to infinity! Veteran

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Schlangan, actually I did added a shortcut to launch the game directly. That one uses an argument on the launcher so the backup mechanism can still work (although I had to also force the launcher to wait on the background for the executable to close so the game can work with the Gamejolt client correctly). The player is more of a side project.

18. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    @Schlangan

My bad!  I retain your name by heart because it sounds like a Quebecism from my old town parts I lived over 20 years. :D

Progress;

BIG week-end folks I am still recuperating... Might also do or rear wings or rear front paws of the latest last basic last boss I am working on.  Sorry!

19. Schlangan

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I hate the WYSIWYG editor, that's for sure; Gimme back my BBCode :(  That thing has some many bugs even a slight copy/paste is hell --'. Anyways:

@Iavra : We'll have to test your plugin on different systems to see the impact on performance then.

@SwarleyPilgrim : Don't forget credits even for free resources ^^

@AceOfAces_Mod : I see. Have fun with your player then :)

@Marquise* : Do not overexert yourself, and rest. It is essential. 

My update :

I'm done with the "landing" on Vilche't, as well as the interior of the ship. We finally control Schlangan in the game, he need to exit the ship and see what lies around. I started the tileset of the desert. Tonight I'll be home late, so I won't make much progress, but I'll try to start the next cutscene.

20. Chiara

Chiara Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    No energy left for replies (and I've been forgetting to post), only:
    @hiddenone: That way of attack looks quite interesting! (Also, your bit about kitchens actually prompted me to start thinking about how my party members would behave there, which caused me to develop them further, so thanks for the inspiration)

And yay progress everyone! Keep up the good work. <3

Progress, 24th:
    Drawing time: 91 minutes

• redid colours and stuff for #3 as I really didn't like the old version. Then I was forced to take a break because Photoshop caused my laptop to heat up way too much. Even after I flattened almost all my layers and put every environment in its own file (which I dislike, workflow-wise). This made me grow super frustrated, so I stopped

Progress, 25th:
    Drawing time: 246 minutes

• continued painting all scenes equally with annoying breaks in-between to keep my laptop from overheating since I can't possibly afford to get a new laptop and it is already six years old in February .__.
    • actually stopped procrastinating on thinking about and planning gameplay-related things and thought about and planned gameplay-related things. None of those the really important things I should really get to thinking about and planning, but related. I have a better idea of what I want to do with parameters now, among other things. This should help me with those really important things. Like skills and the like. And what I do with consumables. I also dread thinking about character progression. I had an idea some months back that sounded nice on paper but as I've mentioned once in another context, common sense tends to escape me at the most crucial of moments...

Aaaaand my backspace key is out again.
    Progress, 26th:
    Drawing time: 31 minutes (too tired for environments, so I drew cute yet anatomically weird birds)
    Had an appointment so was tired most of the rest of the day.

• more work on the story. I also noticed that somehow, there's only one male character in the whole of Part A (unless I decide to show scenes from POVs that aren't Yael's) and that I kind of ended up damsel-ing him early on so Yael has to proceed on her own. Oops? He's not the type to hold grudges, though, and he'll be a party member later on, so it's okay
    • inspired by @hiddenone's bit about characters and kitchens, I fleshed out the characters some more. (Yael can actually cook, but the only thing she makes is some kind of curry-like stew and nobody but her can eat that for longer than a week every day so imagine Ashanah's joy at finding out that Reimah can make different types of food once he joins the party, for example.)

Marquise* and hiddenone like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.