January Goals & Progress Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mlogan, Jan 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

[​IMG]

It's time for a new year and hopefully that means new game dev goals. Have you accomplished what you'd hoped in 2016? What do you hope to see done a year from now? Or if that's too much to think ahead - in one month? Let us know how it's going!

Reapergurl, Bitschi, Zeriab and 9 others like this.
  2. Vito The Boss

Vito The Boss Someone better than you, or will become Veteran

First Language:
    Italiano
    I hope to finish my game...it's very long!...and beautiful! I'm doing it from 4 month by now. The Story Gameplay, have 60 hours, and it isn't accomplished yet...

Marsigne, Dreadshadow and mlogan like this.
  3. Hudell

Hudell Dog Lord Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    OK, I'll join in this time.

For January, my goal is to release a new trailer for my game, so that I can start showing it more than the few screenshots I release here and there.

I still need a lot of sprites, sound effects and a music to be finished before I can make the trailer, so there's a lot of work in there.

For the entire year, I want to finally finish and release the game. It's been over two years since I started it, it's about time to have it finished.

Vox Novus, mlogan and Marsigne like this.
  4. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Vito The Boss: 60 hours in one month? That will take a while. We often say 100 hours of game dev time for 1 hour of good game play, so....6000 hours. You do know there are only 8760 hours in a year too, right? So might need more than just January for that one.

January Goal: This is my winter break, which means I get to do whatever I want to for 2 weeks, then I have reduced hours for 2 more weeks. Makes it a perfect chance to do game dev.

-Go back and fix up Chapters 3 and 4 dialogue errors. I noticed a few when doing my speed run, so might want to fix those up. (bonus) Fix Chapter 5 as well.

-Add the couple missing dialogue sequences to Chapters 3 and 4.

-Fix the Character sequences for Chapters 1 and 2 to match the plot (most of them I've had in the game since 2014, and never updated).

-Write the Chapter 3 character sequences. (bonus) Write the Chapter 4 character sequences.

-Finish my lore books. I've written about half of them already, got the last half to go.

-Repopulate the NPC's in the towns of Aurora and Icetop Fortress, and add the sidequests for those towns as well. (bonus) Silas Rest as well.

-Fix the mapping errors in Tall Oak (that map is still a placeholder).

-Map 2 of the bonus dungeons. These are completely optional areas for the party to explore (and occasionally where they need to go to finish a side quest).

-And finally, if I still got time left, map one of the Chapter 9 side areas the party is *supposed* to go to (they were told to go there at the start of the Chapter, but the player can ignore that advice if they wish) and get items that will make the final fight so much easier.

Vox Novus, mlogan and Marsigne like this.
  5. Dreadshadow

Dreadshadow Lv 38 Tech Magician Moderator

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My goal is really too optimistic but hey! That's what we must be right? So I want January to be the month of the revelation of my secret project. That will happen of course, if the whole project is ready for a beta and not completely broken. The whole community can give feedback and I will be fixing everything as fast as I can, gathering either a 7 days set of issues or more than 10. That's how the first 6 months of the year will go about this project.

Personal determination and year goal is to keep myself disciplined to my diet instructions, so I can make a miracle. Lose some belly fat I got during 2015 and 2016, so I can be in great shape again until summer time. I also wanna try new things in my life, like expand my work territory and maybe even try a new job to add some cahs to my monthly budget.

I really hope the new year will be better than 2016, and...

WE MUST ALSO PRINT A T-SHIRT WITH THE TEXT: "ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: Ι SURVIVED 2016"

@Vito The Boss I hope you refer to the year goal! :p

@bgillisp ninja 'ed me on that.

@Hudell I wish you the best on your goals and also can't wait to see new things from you.

Like your game and maybe update a few scripts of yours ( just saying :p just maybe :p )  After all you are a great scripter.

@bgillisp You really got a way to keep yourself occupied with lots of stuff for your game. Wish you the best!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2017
    mlogan and Marsigne like this.
  6. Vito The Boss

Vito The Boss Someone better than you, or will become Veteran

First Language:
    Italiano
    Ok, guys, i know that what i said about the 60 hours is strange, but...there are much dungeon in the story. Without them, probably the game will last only for 10 hours...I'm fast on mapping.

Vox Novus, Dreadshadow and Marsigne like this.
  7. ashikai

ashikai Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    January is for finishing up all the pixel-art graphics (so everything except busts and such), getting the bulk of this game menu coded and tested, and finding some composers/sound designers so I can get this demo done for spring. =o=;;

....if I'm really lucky, maybe Archeia will release the latest version of MV's Tiled plugin so I don't have to convert my tile maps into parallax maps! Maybe. If she has time. I'll wait. o-o

8. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    There are some ambitious goals up there! Me, I'm staying modest in my expectations. 

• Finish making/editing tiles for the maps for the location I've just started.
    • Map it.
    • Create the boss at the end (got the mobs done already).
    • Create the wholly optional "insane option" for clearing the way ahead to progress the story.  You can do it by working your way through the area I'm going to be mapping to get the item which drives the sea monster away - or you can try and fight it instead for exp and loot.  So safe and sound vs death or glory.  This should enable people to pick whether they want to bust through the road block or not.
    • My stretch goal: create a tricky cut scene which justifies why one of the characters stays with the party rather than going home at this point as she originally planned.

And in my time zone we are coming up towards midnight.  Still got a couple of hours to go, but got to get ready to go out with people important in my life.

So Goodnight, and Happy New Year to everyone.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2017
  9. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    My goal for this month is to start working on my project again... :)

10. Astfgl66

Astfgl66 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    I never really checked these threads but they seem like a great way to bring out a bit of motivation, so here goes:

My 2016 goal was to learn a bit of programming and now I can basic javascript and make my own plugins for MV. Yay for 2016's goal!

This year the task seems to be much more daunting for I want to get into drawing. Wish me luck!

I wish you all a happy new year, and good luck with your projects :)

Zeriab, Vox Novus, mlogan and 2 others like this.
  11. HexMozart88

HexMozart88 The Master of Random Garbage Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    To not restart my game again. And finishing my intro would also be nice. 

12. Plueschkatze

Plueschkatze Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    My goal for January:

- Staying focused!!

- I think I settled for a gameplay idea I want to turn into a game. So I'd need to develop the plot father, write down the story and develop the characters. 

- Beside I'd like to get a lot of the tiles done, so that I can easily build maps. Since I'm aiming for a fairly simplistic style this shouldn't take too long and look pretty through.

My goal for 2017:

- To not fail as a freelancer, which means to earn money with my creative stuff...

- To finish a game or at least get a HUGE chunk of one done.

13. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Very early update today, as I usually take Sundays off but I had an hour to kill this morning.

1.1 Update: Looked at the design of the Dwarfen Training Caves (an optional dungeon for grinding and powerful treasures if you wish to go get them), and figured out where I was going with it. Decided to make it a 5 level marathon dungeon in the end (original plan was 7 levels, but warps every 2 - 3 levels), and thankfully I already have 4 of the 5 levels mapped. Then proceeded to place and balance the enemies for Level 1, and set up the transfer to Level 2.

14. Bonkers

Bonkers Bioware, do you need a nap? Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Finishing up the last of my NDA projects today, and making sure to test it one final time.  It's been fun, but I cannot wait to start on the sequel to ST again.  Hopefully with work dying down after the holidays I'll have time to do my yearly report on my workshop, and get some collab/drawing time in as well.  The great news is I've worked on helping even more commercial games make it to steam and beyond with the free service I provide.  I'm very happy with my two year anniversary for the workshop!  I should also plan a small something for the 5th when it's official.

Currently I have a new project lined up for @Matseb2611, which will require testing, a crow DS sprite @mlogan, and possibly another game in que currently.  

I'd like to have the script settled ASAP and will be sending it over to several people for consideration.  One the side I'll be working on a small comic as time allows.  A one shot, quick and easy project of no more than 16 pages relating to wheels and the leg girl that will be used as a media/promotion kit.

2016 was a brutally hellishly and busy year, now it's time to refine things so there isn't so much flailing around during projects.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2017
    Zeriab, Vox Novus, Matseb2611 and 4 others like this.
  15. AMGLime

AMGLime Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    This is the final month I have given myself to finish my entire concept design, which has been going on since December 2015. I have a lot of stuff, and drafts and sketches I just need to actually get it all down into the client now and hammer out some last minute design choices, practice my mapping and eventing and start pushing through. I've actually wanted to ask the Forum about my plot a few months ago, but I dunno if I should just throw out bits and pieces of it, or throw my entire plot out there to see if people find issues with it lol.

mlogan, Vox Novus and Marsigne like this.
  16. Crabs

Crabs Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    New year, but old project :)

High priority

1. Finish the custom battle system
    2. Improve the HUD

Low priority

1. Polish character concept art
    2. Polish world concept art
    3. Create a topic about my project on "early project feedback" board
    4. Make a 20 minute demo
    5. Improve the battle system's AI

17. Punamaagi

Punamaagi Hero on their own terms Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Last year I managed to get about 20 minutes worth of playable material done for my game, so my sister made me promise that I'd do another 20 minutes this year. :p  In all honesty, I'm hoping that I'll be able to do progress more than that, but I guess that's a good goal to start with, heh.

Anyhow, this month I plan to...

• Finish the first demo version - I ended up promising several friends that I'd send them a link to the demo before the end of 2016, but because I had very little free time during the final days of December, I still need to polish some bits and make sure that there aren't any game-breaking bugs before I can upload my project anywhere. Nevertheless, I'd expect to finish this in a week or so.
    • Continue writing the story (by hand) - I'd like to get to the point where the party reaches the second town so I can start mapping it. I have a rough idea of what's going to happen, but I intend to make at least one or two side quests and possibly come up with an alternative route.
    • Work more on graphics - I could try drawing either a second set of busts for the four main characters or a few NPC busts. I'm still not sure if all the NPCs will get busts or just the ones who actually have an impact on the story, but it might be good to start from the bandits threatening the main cast.

If I end up being more productive (or if I want to try something else), I might try to teach myself a bit of JavaScript and come up with a relatively simple(?) status menu plugin. Alternatively I can try to ask my programmer if he isn't too busy doing other plugins or consider commissioning someone from this forum...

mlogan, Crabs and Marsigne like this.
  18. Arithmetician

Arithmetician Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Goals:

• Finish World Map
    • Finish Fleshing Out Plot
    • Begin Balancing Job Stats and Skills in Earnest
    • Start choosing monster battlers for each dungeon

mlogan, Dreadshadow and Marsigne like this.
  19. Bitschi

Bitschi super duper busy ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ Veteran

First Language:
    English
    My Goals!  ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

• Think out and flesh out my project plot and puzzle ideas
    • Working on the art for my game, fleshing out nicely rendered pieces for character busts,etc.
    • Learn how to pixel better!

20. Darkwes

Darkwes Endless Darkness Member

Ok, this is fun so I'll join.

Since I started working on making a game last month after a 2 year break from rpg maker, I hope to  make some nice progress on my game this month including:

- Finish npc portraits.

- Finish all character sprites.

- Finish customizing all the scripts I'm using.

- Finish at least 10 maps.

- Start working on the playable part of the game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.