bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Arithmetician: Actually, that is why I don't use TP. No need to worry about it being underused if you just remove it completely!

@Kes: Yep. I use MA's quest journal.

@Sharm:  If I come up with ideas I'll let you know. Right now my mind is just going 'duh?'

1.27 Update: Mapped two levels of an old deserted mansion that the party can stumble across in Chapter 5. Still got the 3rd level and the old alchemist lab to map, then its time to place the monsters that now make this mansion their home.

Pierman Walter

Chunk Monster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Bear in mind, January is almost over, so we all need to get as much done as possible before it's too late. Still working on the picture, but I have spammed it here too much. Just rely on my word that all of the big shots have line art and base color.

Plueschkatze

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
Haven't checked back here in a while, I should do that more frequently D:

As for my goals. I did a huge amount of work this month. I wish I would be this productive all year, haha!

I entered a gamejam and finished a demo within two weeks. (Supported by @yopeople)

So I was really busy.

But I had a blast. https://plueschkatze.itch.io/the-beast-named-eliza

So it's not the project I originally intended to work on, but it might be even better since I have someting so show off! :)

We'll finish the project by the end of febuary.

@HexMozart88 I think the video is a little fast, you should give people a little more time to look at the pictures and read the text.

@M.I.A. what a lovely puppy! He/She's so beautiful! *_*

Last edited by a moderator:

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Plueschkatze and @Kes, fair enough. I worked on it a few times, and I think my problem is that I have some frames that are on way too long, so I don't have time to display the other ones before the song ends. So, I think I fixed that for the most part (probably) and I'll try it a couple of times prior to putting it into my game. Haven't done animation in awhile so I've had to find a way to not stretch the frames out too far and make it choppy. 

Anyway, update. I got a total of 1 part of my shop screen done. Lovely. and I had a whole day yesterday too because I got to leave school at ten thirty because of exams. Man, this is just sad. I think the potion icon is what took me the longest.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8MRQKz4-tnVei1GM2JZeHNNREE/view?usp=sharing

Still deciding on a background.  

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Plueschkatze: Two weeks isn't much time. I say it's good to even finish something in that much time!

@HexMozart88: Any reason it has to finish before the song ends? Usually I find when games want to do that they usually force the text quantity to match the song length.

1.28 Update: Finished mapping the old mansion, and placed monsters and such in the part the group can access in Chapter 5 (most of it is closed off until Chapter 9). Also tackled the Chapter 5/start of 6 cutscene. Fixed some of the parts that were bothering me, but since this is a long scene I can tell this is going to take a couple of days to fix up completely.

Lihinel

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
@M.I.A.Adorable. <3

Topic: Pretty much finished my goals for this month.

The battle system is working and has all basic mechanics implemented, what's missing are lots and lots of custom skills that don't fall into the standard categories I created. Short preview:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Punamaagi It's good to hear that you're getting positive feedback.

@bgillisp The reason I was asking if it was MA's is that I find that any quests, or even objectives, put in after I've started a play through don't show up, so I can't check them until the next time I start a new game.  I was wondering if you'd found a way round that.

@Pierman Walter I'll take your word for it.

@Plueschkatze Amazing to get it finished in 2 weeks.  That is quite an achievement.

@HexMozart88 I, too, am wondering why it must finish before the track.  The music won't stop but instead will repeat.  That would allow you to go at a more leisurely pace so that the player can read and absorb the information. Are you going to be doing a scene for each individual item, or is this one only because it's today's special?

My update

Polishing and bug hunting.  Only found a couple of minor things until...

I'm using an autosave script with Yanfly's Save Engine. Ages ago I noticed that every time you changed map, the autosave added one to the total for the Number of Saves on the save screen, quickly resulting in ridiculous numbers.  I was able to get a mod to correct that and finished the game.  (It was my last one)  However, I've noticed that the problem is back.  Tried all sorts  but buried somewhere deep in the labyrinth of my scripts something doesn't like this bit.  As I have mods of mods of compatibility patches etc., I'm faced with a straight choice.  Either the total number of save files goes or the autosave goes.  I decided that the autosave was the thing to keep.  My only point of consolation is that I was able to work out how to delete the total number of saves from the save screen without having to ask for help.  I may finally be inching out of the scripting idiot class.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Kes: I've had no problem adding quests after a play through started. Objectives, though, yes I can't change the once any objective is revealed for the quest, unless I use the reset_quest(x) command to start it completely over for that playthrough (then adding all the appropriate complete_objective(x, y) commands too to get to where you are in the quest).

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@bgillisp and @Kes well, I wanted the video to end just before the song because the end of the song is taken from one of the other songs in the game, and I sort of want the player to be able to pay attention to that, because my goal is to get them to remember when they hear that song for the first time. (It plays quite early in the game) I suppose I could try to extend it to the end of the song and see if it has the same effect, otherwise I may need to just make the song itself longer. 

Are you going to be doing a scene for each individual item, or is this one only because it's today's special?
For now it's only this one, because it's the special, but I may have the special alternate from day to day like a normal shop. The rest of the items are just going to be in a regular shop scene, but I'm eventing that too, so hopefully that doesn't take as long. 

The music won't stop but instead will repeat.  That would allow you to go at a more leisurely pace so that the player can read and absorb the information
That has potential, but I feel like that'd be too long and the video would finish way before the end, resulting in me having to cut off parts of it, completely defeating the purpose of me trying to finish the video faster in the first place.  :(  So I'll just go with my original plan. Funny though, it's only really you and @Plueschkatze that have said the second go is too fast. I've shown it to a couple of others and they said it was fine. Hmm. I will slow it down nonetheless. Man, this would've been so much easier if my voiceovers didn't make me sound like a drugged forty-year-old with depression. I could just do that and it'd fit so much better.  

AceOfAces_Mod

Engineering to infinity!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@HexMozart88, the animation goes a tad too fast to read the text. And at one time, it was hard to read (around the 8 second mark).

Progress Report #10:

Immortal Sins:

-All doors are now using the new sprites (along with a few fixes).

-Polishing the maps (mostly fixing up the autoshadows).

-Testing out a new overlay for night (for outside and maybe inside maps).

Misc:

Things went... a bit hazy with the exams, so I can't spend as much time as I wanted on Immortal Sins (and on the Winterruption project I'm working on with @BoredSoul). At least I'll be getting an Arduino Uno.

Arithmetician

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Obviously going to be far short of my original goals this month.

That said, I made a bit of a breakthrough on damage formulae, when I came across HIMEworks's Enemy Level's plugin as a simple solution for getting a.level to work in skills for both party members and enemies.  Therefore, I spent some time tonight experimenting with different damage formulas.

(4 * a.atk  - 2 * b.def) * (1 + (a.level - 1)/16)

This is what I've currently come up with; a simple modification of the default formula with a level-based factor to ramp up damage throughout the game without doing anything like squaring atk, which throws buff balance way out of whack.  Not that this is perfect either.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
So I decided to do something different this evening. Presenting...Dwarfen Dancing. The music should sound familiar too (and it's from http://www.freesfx.co.uk/music/ if anyone is curious).

That scene took me most of the evening to make (and would have been longer, but 8 of the dancers are in synch, which helped to speed it up significantly). Ugh. And yes, I know there are two Dwarfs in the same outfit, it's intentional due to how the Dwarfs are, they tend to dress alike (which the player would know about by this point in the game).

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@bgillisp Truly brilliant.

One thing I did notice - blond guy, beard, brown clothes, starts the dance bottom row at the right end.  His front and back hair are different colors so when the front hair moves, it looks really weird.

BoredSoul

Probably Drunk
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Alright.First time I'm doing this,

Go.

So, me and @AceOfAces_Mod are working on a game for the Winterruption event.

https://rpgmaker.net/events/winterruption

Our team name is:Team Names Suck

I see you judging me, stop it.Barely anybody even chose an actual appropriate name.  

Anyway, there's me and Ace, and luckily for us we have a hard working and efficient artist and musician. And Eagle, I'd say he's hardworking but he's lazy as all hell.

We've set up scripts, maps and effects etc. We're working hard on this.It is for fun, but we missed a few days and need to catch up.

And I bet Ace got those lighting effects from our Winterruption game. Seems like a coincidence he only gets those after he gets my project which I added lighting effects to.

@bgillisp That is holy.

Wonder what it'd be like in dubstep...

jk, good work tho

One recommendation, I'm seeing an overuse of RTP assets in your game.

Maybe change that? If not, you could at least change the Windowskin.

Lihinel

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
@bgillispOh my, this must have been hell to script, can see why it took most of the evening. Would have taken me at least a day if I didn't go mad from fixing errors made in the process. Looks really cool though.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Kes: I'll look at that.

@BoredSoul: I'm not touching the RTP. The game is too long to mess with that as well. If I touch that, it will never get finished. Though I will be lighting/tinting it later on (which is not shown in the video).

The funny thing, this morning I got to wondering how it would look to have the Dwarfs march to bagpipes. Hmmmm....

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@bgillisp Think of your sanity! Have pity on yourself! (Though maybe marching would be a breeze after that dancing.)

AceOfAces_Mod

Engineering to infinity!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@BoredSoul, actually, that was a picture acting as an overlay, so I can make some form of lighting. It's quite similar to parallax mapping. The lighting used on the project for the winterruption event are simple events with animated sprites. These two are completely different. By the way, I used the exact same way to make lighting on the Crystal Cave since version D0.10 of Immortal Sins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

mlogan wrote on alltheyuriz's profile.
Please be aware that our Status rules ask members not to make more than 2 status updates in 24 hours.
rux
Just 80% of my motivation on game making lmao, anyone got tips on how to not be unmotivated?
I've signed up for a job training program for people with Asperger's Syndrome. I went to a "test run" today so they could see how well I did with simple jobs, and I amazed them. Most new people do it in 30+ minutes, while I finished in a mere 15 minutes. Gives me time to work on a screenplay for Studio MDHR...
People,I have seen that Someone from China/Chile and London is doing a Vaccine Against COVID-19.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxmach