January Goals & Progress Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mlogan, Jan 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Volimance

Volimance Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I have a kind of work log that keeps track of what I have done, questions and ideas as they come up, and a kind of general outline of what needs to be done. I've been away from making the game for a while and have been afraid to look at that outline. But yeah, I think maybe a week to week outline f what I'd like to get done will help!

It probably is, I'm just doing this as a new hobby, so I'm sure I'm using the term incorrectly :)
    I guess we'll call it a pre-alpha build then? I dunno.

Vox Novus, mlogan and Marsigne like this.
  2. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Volimance, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can review our forum rules here.  I've gone ahead and merged your posts.  If you want to quote multiple people, you can use the little plus button next to the quote.

@bgillisp  Thanks, I'm going to need it.  I'm behind on my goals already.  I realize this probably means that I'm aiming too high, but I really don't want to put off this release any longer if I can at all help it.  It's been far too long since my last one.  Don't worry though, even though I'm behind, I'm letting myself celebrate how much I've gotten done.  It really is a lot!

DAY 2:  Yesterday I did manage to get a few more animated events done before sleeping but that was it.  Today I managed to fill out half a sheet of A4 tiles and a few A5.  I did a little on the B tiles I've been meaning to do, but not the 1/2 sheet I need to catch up, not even the 1/4 sheet needed for a normal day, it was probably only 1/8.  B tiles are my bane, apparently.  If I can manage to rest enough to get my brain working again I'm going to work a little late again today, see if I can get a few more B tiles and some animations before my brain quits entirely.  If not, well, gotta recover for tomorrow. *shrugs*

3. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm actually going to post some goals, sadly very small year long goals. I've got some other things going on that are keeping from doing much game dev atm, but I want to keep a project going in the background so to speak.

So my goals for the whole year are to finish a small (one hourish?) game and to write a plugin for it.

My ADHD has shown in my jumping around game ideas this last year, so I'm trying to stick with this one. And I do know the - hopefully - simple plugin I'd like to make for it.

As for progress, I have actually started by compiling all the POP tiles I have, making sure they are all formatted for MV, and putting them into the project folder.

My next very small steps are:

- find a font I like

- set up the tilesets the way I want them

- transfer a couple of maps from another project I was messing around in, but I want to use those maps

- keep working on maps

Also, I really do want to keep up with this topic better. But it doesn't take long for there to be a lot of responses, and then I feel overwhelmed trying to comment on everyone's progress, especially as I like to make sure it's rather meaningful interactions. So, I'm going to try to be around, but in that, I probably won't be commenting on every single post, but rather asking questions or making comments where I feel like I genuinely have them. But just because I don't respond directly to anyone, doesn't mean that I'm not reading and rooting you all on. :D

M.I.A., Vox Novus, Zeriab and 4 others like this.
  4. M.I.A.

M.I.A. Goofball Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @bgillisp: oh, this ain't my first time at the rodeo. Lol! I leave lots of padding. If not just for additions, but also to move things around. I also use several spaces as "labels" ?

-Mia

Vox Novus and Marsigne like this.
  5. Schlangan

Schlangan A madman with a computer Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @bgillisp : For your question, I think I'll go to 25 missions. But, I'm still pondering about some details compared to the story. Since I entitled the part one as "The Yosha cult", the problem is, the cult is completely destroyed a bit further than where I wanted to go. So it could go as high as 30 missions, but there is still a lot to decide before that.
    While reading your issue with testing, I wanted to tell you that I've created a developer room accessible only in test mode, in which I can alter the levels of my party as I wish. You should do something like this to easily test your last dungeon.
    @Vox Novus : Creating tilesets is enjoyable, because you are able to use the tiles you want to use. Better than trying to change the idea in your mind to fit with the tileset you have?

@Sharm : You should not worry, as progress IS progress. What I mean is, that some days you will work less, but some other days, you'll be much more efficient. As long as you're getting closer to your goal, it's good.

@mlogan : Do not worry as replying to everyone. Being a few days late is often overwhelming, and complete replies are only done when we have time for them. 

My update :

Only one and a half secondary mission left for the adaptation post-mission XVIII. The new character makes things too easy, of course, but it's up to the player to do the missions at that moment or not. Before the release though, I'm thinking of adding a very small area in the Death Realm, without a boss, just a few things to explore. 

Another thing will be the training room. As @Vox Novus kindly told me about the balance issues of the room, I'm going to rework the different categories of robots, and I will set a level limit of the room. The limit will rise with our progress in the primary missions and the level of the party, but doing so should be better. With this, the limit will be based on the weakest member of the party. This will avoid a way to grind that was far too easy by having powerful characters power level the weaker ones.

Vox Novus, Marsigne and mlogan like this.
  6. Zeriab

Zeriab Huggins! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    @ksjp17 Good news. Next time I bet you'll solve a similar problem a little faster :D

@Schlangan Your friend has no name yet? Talk about having cruel parents D:

@every one: Keep it up. I, and a bit a lot of others, cheer for you even if we don't explicitly state it.

In my case I will try my hand at beta-testing a game this month. I'll keep on polishing my mouse script for said game and hopefully manage to make it feel natural to the player.

As a stretch goal I will also start working the mouse pathfinding into another game another dev is working on and have a first revision ready with secret path functionality and directional restriction additions ready.

*hugs*

7. Canini

Canini Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    My goal for the month is two-fold:

1 Put the finishing touches on the game interface.

2 Finish the placement of secrets and sidequests in the first dungeon and town.

The rest of my work for the month will be mostly team management-based.

mlogan, Vox Novus and Marsigne like this.
  8. MiniTitan

MiniTitan Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Well, what happened to December?!!

T'was a month of revelry for me - combined with learning to use typescript. But I did make a good start on a FFX style battle system, so will be continuing with that this month. 

Also going to continue with my goal of learning to draw - I think it'll be looking at perspective and proportions for January.

And of course there's always more RPG maker stuff to explore!

9. Pierman Walter

Pierman Walter Chunk Monster Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'm going to finish this picture:

image.jpg

10. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Vox Novus: That reminds me *runs off to playtest*

@hiddenone: Good luck getting those shields figured out!

@Volimance: No worries. It only stood out as I have a CS degree. that I never use.

@Sharm: If it makes you feel any better, my to do list for my game still makes me want to cry sometimes.

@mlogan: Good luck with the font search. Sometimes though I wonder if I'm the only one who likes the default font as it is, with all the talk about changing it.

@M.I.A.: I just hope it doesn't go like my game did, where I left what I thought was enough space...and still ran out. Ended up I went for extreme gaps (25 - 30 lines) between each category next time I redid it, which seems to have worked really well.

@Schlangan: Actually, I had just deleted the test room, as I didn't want the players to accidentally find it via a method I overlooked. Plus, my speedrun party is in really bad shape for other testing and I need to do another playthrough to fix the bugs I still have on my notes for Chapters 2+, so, probably for the best to start the playthrough over anyways.

@Zeriab: Hope the testing goes well!

@Canini: Are you doing the secrets and sidequests as you go then?

@MiniTitan: Do you plan to share the FFX style system once it is done?

@Pierman Walter: Is that for a game, or just for fun?

1.4 Update: Mapped another side dungeon, an old temple of knights that was wiped out in a war about 30 years ago. Though there is still some treasure lurking around, and a dragon has made a nearby cave it's home. Still need to event the cave, but the maps are done except for that.

Also finished placing the NPC's for Gnoa as well. So that town is done except for the side quests...which require the side dungeon currently in progress.  

Vox Novus, M.I.A. and Marsigne like this.
  11. M.I.A.

First Language:
    English
    @bgillisp, let's just say.. I only intend on using approx 60 items according to my story/gameplay outline.. but I have opened 200 slots just in case. Lol

"My ADHD has shown in my jumping around game ideas this last year, so I'm trying to stick with this one. And I do know the - hopefully - simple plugin I'd like to make for it."

@mlogan, when I first started tinkering with RPG makers (back in 2000.. wow..), I found it really helped me work through my episodes of hypomanic highs by keeping my brain occupied. 

Now I mostly do it for fun, but when I still have occasional episodes, I dig right in and make a positive use of that mania. ?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2017
  12. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It's been unusually hard to focus today, I guess I'm running out of steam.  It's also been harder to keep track of what I've done vs what was already done this morning.  I think I've overtaxed my brain a bit, everything's blending together.  I know it's not even lunch time yet here, but I am so done for the day.  Made at least 9 more auto tiles and have been studiously avoiding all things B tiles.  My intended goal for this week was to finish up the interior tiles and do the exterior, dungeon and mapping sets in the other weeks, but it seems I may end up finishing all the A tiles instead.  I may be able to make that work for me but making B tiles is like reading short stories.  It's hard for me to get a good flow going.  @Celianna how do you do it?

@mlogan  If you need a pixel font I might be able to help you.  Compared to normal fonts they're relatively easy to make and I can just add it to sell in one of my sets later.

@Schlangan  I'm worried because I can tell the past two days were unusually productive.  In other words, those were my efficient days, the others will be less so. :(   Like I said earlier, I know this means my goals are unrealistic but I just want this stupid set done already.  I need to finish it before I can't stand the sight of it anymore.

@bgillisp  Aw, that's too bad.  I appreciate the sympathy but I'd rather you didn't have the same problem.

@M.I.A.  No fair, you can focus your mania like that?  Most of the time I can't focus on anything that's not a brand new project.  Sometimes I can't focus at all, those are the worst.  You should see all the partially done tilesets I've got sitting on my hard drive unable to be sent out because I either don't have enough stuff for a set or because I started making expansions before the base pack was finished.  Tiny World, the set I'm trying to get finished this month, already has stuff for 3 different expansion packs, one of which is actually closer to completion than the base set!  EDIT:  Oh, you meant ADHD mania not Bipolar mania.  That makes more sense.  Glad it helps!

13. M.I.A.

First Language:
    English
    @Sharm, it's taken years and years of practice and hard work to be able to try and focus those episodes. You can PM if you ever want to talk about it. ?

Although i was replying in regards to an ADHD statement, I was actually responding with my experiences as bipolar episodes. The high highs and the very low lows. 

?

Just the other night I was unable to sleep, so I am glad I was able to advance my January RMing goals. 

14. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I don't post for 2 days, and already I'm a page behind.  Well, here goes.  If I miss anyone, sorry.

@Hudell I love your fence and gate events.  For your chicken coop - do I take it that your character has already taken all the eggs? Not one in sight.

@Doktor_Q I think it's important to get feedback as soon as you can (this is something I'm missing myself at the moment).  It would be really good, imo, to go for a proof of concept demo, even if it is very rough around the edges. 

@Sharm All you can do is all you can do.  Perhaps it might help to try a trick that works for me.  I've usually got at least 2 major tasks on at any one time.  I switch between them (if I can) each day so that I don't get burned out on one of them.  I don't start a third until one of the two is complete.

@M.I.A. I admire people who can do their whole data base before they start.  Although I begin with some of it done, mine only gets filled up as I go along - partly because I find data base work tedious (usually), but also because I know that I shall be adapting gear and skills as I go along, based on how things actually work in play testing.  I simply cannot sit down and envisage everything before beginning the actual making of the game itself.

@Engr. Adiktuzmiko Have you tried Shaz's Dynamic Features script?  I swear by it for changing not just params, but also exparms and sp-params on the fly.  It might help support what you're trying to do with your skills.

@Schlangan Sadly someone else has already made the joke about your nameless friend that I was going to.  I like the sound of digging down through the tiles very much.  I too have a test room for skills and levels and a test map for tiles, animated events etc.  I'd hate for anyone to look over my shoulder at it - chaotic looking would be a generous description.  I shall file away that idea about using the weakest member as the level.

@bgillisp super-awesome gear late game? Love it.  Interesting that you need a business license to sell a book in the US.  That's not the case in the UK.

@Vox Novus Back to business indeed, by the sound of it.  I love the casual way you throw out the phrase "some manner of water".  I find doing those a killer.

@hiddenone I really like what you're doing with those shields.

@mlogan Probably better to go for those small goals and get them than make big plans which fall apart.  That's so de-motivating.

@Zeriab Nope, the next problem was not quicker to solve, in fact it is still unsolved.  I like the sound of your stretch goals.

My update:

I have had an extremely frustrating day.  For reasons utterly beyond my comprehension, I cannot make enemies resistant to Stun.  State Resist does not work, nor does State Rate.  So to round the day off, I changed my forum name and avatar instead of wrapping up this particular enemy.  I shall continue the battle tomorrow.

Schlangan, Vox Novus, mlogan and 2 others like this.
  15. MiniTitan

MiniTitan Villager Member

First Language:
    English

@bgillisp Yeah, still have a lengthy todo list for it though  :guffaw:

Marsigne likes this.
  16. AceOfAces_Mod

AceOfAces_Mod Engineering to infinity! Veteran

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Goals for this month:

-Release the entire first part.

-Work on the second part.

Goals for 2017:

-Finish Immortal Sins.

-Work on Batrider Episode 1(along with modifications to work well on the Universal Windows Platform)

Progress Report #1:

-Fixed up the game's icon (the .ico file).

-Finished the re-works on the overlays.

-Loaded the new pictures for the installer.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2017
  17. Warboss74

Warboss74 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    It's about time I've joined one of these to put some concrete deadlines in place. I've been working on deepening my interactions by designing and implementing systems like factions, relationships, personality, etc. into my keyword system. 

I knocked out the faction system before the end of the year, and my main goals for January are to hash out the relationship and personality systems and implement them.

Other goals on my list that aren't necessary to be completed before the end of the month include knocking out a barebones tileset to replace the default (Not more than lines and flats), continue testing NPC Scheduling on one map (town and interiors on one map screen), finish my noble lineages, and narrow down the prehistoric creatures I want to use as the fantasy beasts.

MiniTitan, Vox Novus and Marsigne like this.
  18. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    @Kes - yeah I know about it, but I prefer to do my own stuff (makes it easier for me to adjust and adapt to my other scripts and to my needs) so I learned how to do it.. XD btw are you the old mode ksjp something?

Hudell and Marsigne like this.
  19. Pierman Walter

Pierman Walter Chunk Monster Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Marsigne likes this.
  20. M.I.A.

First Language:
    English
    @Kes I don't typically do my whole database first. It's a recent effort. I used to build my entire database AS I was creating a game. But.. then when I would playtest and play my games.. the weapons would be all out of order.. and throwable items would be mixed in with potions, etc. So I vowed to at least have my database organized to a comfortable extent before I build the game itself. Plus, it's easier for me to stick to a project when the framework is already standing strong. :)

Marsigne likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.