January Goals & Progress Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mlogan, Jan 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @bgillisp Yes, I often have those days.  I'll spend forever working out where to put a weed, or maybe a flower.  I know when that happens that a break is what's needed, just as you did.

@Arithmetician Seems like you're not the only one who has taken a bit of time out.

My update:

Did a bit of mapping and then started thinking about what tiles to use for the next area.  One thing led to another, and I ended up spending far more time than I'd intended on editing and creating tiles which I don't yet know that I'll need.

2. hiddenone

hiddenone Lurker Extraordinaire Moderator

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Kes  I end up doing the same thing, and have tons of spare tiles that I currently have no use for.  Hopefully you're a bit better at planning out what's useful than I am.

I reached the point where my shields were working well enough (and I really had no good way to make them work better), so I released them into the wild.  One goal down, one to go!

Vox Novus and Marsigne like this.
  3. Hudell

Hudell Dog Lord Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It seems like half the people here didn't have productive days lately. I'm included in that half. Had a rough week and didn't get a chance to work on my game much. I did record a new video today. I shared it on a status update earlier, but here it is again:

@Kes Having extra tiles is always useful, Better than not working on anything at all. I'm sure there will be a chance to use the new tiles too.

Marsigne and Vox Novus like this.
  4. Arithmetician

Arithmetician Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Arithmetician  And I got Trails of Cold Steel too recently, so that's also some more time off.  But I'll get back into RPG making soon.   I'll probably draw from Thalzon's battlers.

Marsigne likes this.
  5. Vox Novus

Vox Novus Knight of Whispers Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Kes Lol, yeah. I heard Water tiles are brutal. Tiles are so easy to get lost into, you think you are just doing a few simple things and then a bunch of time flies by.

@MiniTitan Avatars are a great way to sort of actual be a part of the community. Helps people remember you to. Good luck with the plug-in.

@Schlangan Nice work! Those Dragons look fantastic.

@Sharm A tiles seem to be more my problem as I'm working on stuff for the set I'm making. Much slower a process where as I tend to finish B tiles quicker. A tiles are like the book I'm slowly reading cause I can't get into it and B tiles are like the book I'm racing to finish because its a real page turner.

@Punamaagi Sometimes as great as generic dialogues are you just need some npc characters to adapt to the story to. Makes the world feel more alive and in some situations just makes sense. 

@ptimiya Good luck, think on the bright side though, once you have that artwork done you can use it for anything, even future projects. Can save some time later. Edits can be good to if you only need slight adjustments.

@noctiluca That sounds ambitious, best wishes. 

@Hudell That looks fun! I want to Call it Hudell Moon or Harvest Hudell.

Update: 1/8/2017

Haven't done too much since my initial post here. Finished the bridges and the walls for the exterior set I'm making. Making the walls were a bit of a pain, I struggle with getting the corners just right. Next, I'll probably work on some steps for A5 Tiles; will need to do one stone set, one dirt set and one crystalline set and recolors. Then I'm going to try making a water tile. 

Marsigne and Hudell like this.
  6. Arithmetician

First Language:
    English
    Was inspired to do a bit more work on my game again after visiting the board.   Continued filling in the southern continent, especially focusing on the lands of the Empire.

World Map (South) in Progress

World Map South.png

Vox Novus, waynee95 and Marsigne like this.
  7. Punamaagi

Punamaagi Hero on their own terms Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @bgillisp: Dialogue is a strange thing. Sometimes it's incredibly fun to write it, but I have some trouble telling when there's a good amount of it. That's one of the main reasons why I'm eager to have the first demo tested by other people: while I've been trying to get rid of short meaningless oneliners, sometimes the dialogue just goes on and on almost by itself.

@Vox Novus: It's surprising how little things like having NPCs change location can already make a difference, not to mention adapting the dialogue like you said. I currently have mostly focused on the former as things haven't changed in the town much so far, but once the story progresses (and e.g. a nearby bridge gets burnt down), the dialogues should see more changes as well.

@Arithmetician: Though it's difficult to see the details due to the size of the map, the desert area looks rather nice. Will the player be able to cross the mountains and visit the coastal areas, out of curiosity, or do you intend to keep the desert tightly surrounded by mountains?

While I haven't been able to work on my project daily, I ended up having a game-making spree and stayed awake until 6 AM or so (twice, it seems). I hope that I won't accidentally burn myself out if this continues - or that I haven't stolen others' productivity by accident. :p

As a result of my burst(s) of motivation, I managed to finish polishing the dialogue and the flow of events for the playable part of the game, and I even decided to partly revamp my prologue in order to have it sync better with the new music. Now all that remains is to make sure that all the scenes work as intended and that the busts show as they should, and I'm basically ready to send the demo to my friends for testing.

8. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    Just been databasing and editing some text files and some codes that are essential for my database thingies to work..

Here's how my database looks right now

PNFS-SkillsTab00.PNG

And this is my external note file for "Arts"

ArtsNoteFile.PNG

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2017
  9. Schlangan

Schlangan A madman with a computer Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @bgillisp : Making puzzles instead of mass monsters is something I did for mission XIX. It's nice to change sometimes :)

@Punamaagi : I'm using RTP graphics as a base, but I'm editing them and adding whatever I need. So, using them is not necessarily bad.

@Kes : I see what you mean about the dragon. I'll try to correct this if I can. I'll be honest, this was the first time I tried to create a statue from nothing ^^

@hiddenone : Your shield would work better with my generator though :p

@Vox Novus : Good luck for your water tile, and congrats for what you've already done.

@Arithmetician : Nice work on your world map. It must take a lot of time to do those.

@Engr. Adiktuzmiko : Nothing in relation to your database work, but I noticed you're from the Philippines. In my game at some point some Tagalog appear, but I used that language as a mean to create large spell chants, as I didn't know that Tagalog was an actual language when I wrote the story 10 years ago :D

My update :

At least of mission XIX is done, because I've been implementing four puzzles to unlock the temple door. I had fun to create them, but I had to make sure they were realatively easy. The four puzzles are based on tiles you can walk on or rocks to push.

Enigma 1 : You need to walk on all the tiles of the area without stepping twice on the same tile.
    Enigma 2 : You have to push 6 out 7 rocks to the tiles to activate them.
    Enigma 3 : You need to have all tiles pressed up, but walking on a tile activates (up/down) the four surrounding tiles too.
    Enigma 4 : A sequence of tiles is displayed, and you have to reproduce the tile sequence by walking on them.

As I said, the puzzles are very simple, because they're here to accustomate the player. Inside the temple will be one last puzzle, which will be a fusion of the four aforementioned puzzles. This will be the hard part :D  

I also started working on my second project, but I noticed that RPG Maker's way of updating the Tilemap is annoying. There is no true way for refresh, hence I'll certainly have to rewrite a lot of things to do what I want. But at this rate, my monthly goals are almost already done, I'll be able to do much moooooore :D

10. Arithmetician

First Language:
    English
    @Punamaagi  While not a realistic feature for an actual world, the mountains are there to force the desired paths to the dungeons in the desert, at least until the player gets an airship.   The coastal areas can be visited though, and might be filled in with a small town or dungeon or two.

@Schlangan Yes, it does.

Marsigne likes this.
  11. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Kes: Yep. The break was nice. Think it was much needed.

@hiddenone: Shields? I'll have to check them out.

@Hudell: Maybe it's due to winter? Or holiday breaks ending?

@Vox Novus: Is this set for another game? Or just to practice?

@Arithmetician: Looks like the world map is starting to fill out nicely!

@Punamaagi: Yeah, I've battled with that too. I seem to recall in the IGMC version of the game some players were like "Well, it's a nice scene, but what was the point of it?"

@Engr. Adiktuzmiko: One thing that helped me with the skills database was listing them in excel first This allowed me to see how the skills for each class lined up in comparison.

@Schlangan: It is. I've actually thought about trying to make a puzzle game in RPGMaker either for the next IGMC or once this game is over. Might be just a little freebie game if I ever do it, but it would be so I could get more practice at making puzzles.

1.9 Update: I took 1.8 off (my Sunday break), so back to work today. Spent today playtesting the first hour of my game again, in a normal playthrough, and fixing errors as I find them (though at this point most errors are graphical in nature only, aka removing placeholder graphics for the real graphics). Also placed the NPC's in Elmwood, and I can say the town has probably 66% of the NPC's placed now in the town, and the bar and tavern are completely done. Still got to do the other 33%, and all side quests, which will probably be what will be worked on tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2017
  12. AceOfAces_Mod

AceOfAces_Mod Engineering to infinity! Veteran

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Kes, around 4 hours to complete the entire first part.

Progress Report #3

-Trying to overcome the writer's block to continue the second part of Immortal Sins.

-Fixing up some of the interior maps.

-Improving the translation of the launcher.

-Thinking of other features to add new features to the launcher...

I also had to re-install Windows. Windows started to freak out and I had to use the built in Refresh Windows tool (at least I don't have to download a large patch after re-installation).

13. Dreadshadow

Dreadshadow Lv 38 Tech Magician Moderator

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I made a lot of progress, and almost 1/6 of the whole project will be done until Sunday. Hopefully.

A person really conributed to the secret project something very nice and thus it will be very enjoyable!

I still keep the project a big secret, just keep in mind that it will be really better than I  thought at start.

AceOfAces_Mod, Vox Novus and Marsigne like this.
  14. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    @bgillisp - I actually do have an excel sheet for them, it was also pretty easy to setup since they follow the same flow of damage calculations

Marsigne likes this.
  15. Pierman Walter

Pierman Walter Chunk Monster Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Still working on the picture. Character design is relatively easy because I have appearances for most of them from earlier, but I still have to come up with new ones on the fly. Behold this monstrosity:

image.jpg

There are twenty four people in this picture. I was thinking of posting the finished version of it in the thread where we try to guess the personalities and back stories off a character based off appearance alone, but this would probably drive everyone there insane.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2017
    Bonkers, Vox Novus and Marsigne like this.
  16. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @AceOfAces_Mod: Maybe that means it is time to play a game for a while? That's my cure for writers block at least.

@Dreadshadow: Is this secret project ever going to be revealed?

@Engr. Adiktuzmiko: True, they don't take long to set up. Once I got mine set up it has been very helpful in figuring out what the average player stats will be in that dungeon by level.

@Pierman Walter: What's the resolution of that picture? I'm thinking 24 people in a small res picture might be hard to tell who is who.

1.10 Update: Playtested about 2 more hours of my game, and fixed up the Elmwood side quests so that they work again. Now you can complete 3 side quests in Chapter 1, and get another that will take you until Chapter 6 to complete. Also fixed the Chapter 1 character scenes, there's one I think that could be a little better, but I'm blanking on how to improve it so will leave it for now.

I did notice while doing the playthrough that Elmwood is still bare in a couple of places. I might add about 6 or so more NPC's to fill in the empty areas. Though, since the town is blended with the forest, does it really need NPC's everywhere too? Will debate this.

Now I'm at the point where I need to edit the Chapter 2 character scenes. However, I was starting to feel fatigue so will step away for a few hours and do anything else.

Edit: Got some energy after eating some food and taking a nap for an hour, managed to edit the Chapter 2 character scenes. Still debating adding a choice to one scene, but the rest are ready to go now. Onward to either the Chapter 3 scenes, or placing NPC's in Aurora or Silas Rest (probably the latter, but we will see tomorrow.)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2017
    Dreadshadow, Vox Novus and Marsigne like this.
  17. Dreadshadow

Dreadshadow Lv 38 Tech Magician Moderator

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

Yes. When I will reach  halfway I will make a teaser tiny game. :p  

It takes so long cause I have to create a lot of original content and I want it to be of decent quality, not a rush, otherwise it would be faster.

Kes, Mimironi and Marsigne like this.
  18. Bonkers

Bonkers Bioware, do you need a nap? Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm knee deep in more spriting, and I'm halfway through the first custom battler for a new game.  These are all back view rather than side view, but I am keeping the format the same to make it easier to get working.

[​IMG]

9 more emotes to do and then this dummy sheet will hopefully be useful ><  Sadly from the back a few of the duplicates won't have the eyes to help emote- so it will be almost a duplicate.  I'll see what I can do to make the ailments more expressive, like sleep.

Vox Novus, Kes and Marsigne like this.
  19. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Arithmetician I think that Thalzon's battlers are brilliant.  I wasn't sure from the way you phrased it whether you intend to use them or to draw something inspired by them.  If it's the latter, then well done.  I wish I could draw well enough to do that.  I like what you're doing with the world map.

@Vox Novus I just did a couple of basic water tiles and work variations of them.  I couldn't bear to do them all from scratch each time.  So kudos to you for doing that.

@Punamaagi Congrats on the inspiration spurt.  Let us know how the demo goes.  Are you only giving it to friends or will you be posting it on this site as well?

@Engr. Adiktuzmiko I'm fascinated by the damage formula in your screen shot.  What does f3 refer to?  In fact, the more I look at that formula the more I wonder how it's been constructed.  I do a lot of different things in my formulas and nothing looks like that whole structure.  I noticed that you didn't give it any TP or MP cost, and I'm therefore also wondering how you handle skill costs.

@Schlangan For Enigma 2, does the player know that it's only 6 out of 7 rocks that have to be pushed?  The reason I'm asking is that I have played a game where there were a lot of switches which had to be activated, except you should never touch one of them (out of 20+) otherwise you lose out on something important.  It was immensely frustrating, because there was no way of knowing that you had to leave one of them alone.  To have nearly finished your month's goals before we are even half way through is impressive.

@bgillisp My perennial curiosity is kicking in again.  My way of working is to do the side quests as I go along, (it's my way of ensuring that they fit into the story etc.) and most of the NPCs.  I might add other NPCs later if I think it looks a bit bare, but that's not usual.  You, however, seem to be doing most of your side quests, NPCs and secret rooms after you have finished the main story.  Why do you do it that way round?

@Dreadshadow Things are sounding good.  I'm glad you're taking your time and not letting yourself by pushed into going faster than quality allows.

@Pierman Walter I, too, am wondering how big that picture is going to be.  To have 24 characters all together is a lot of details for one image unless it is really quite large.

@Palladinthug This is looking interesting.  I don't think I've seen properly animated battlers done from the back view before, only static ones.

My update:

Mapping and editing/making more tiles.  I haven't actually got a lot done the last couple of days.  Partly because RL has been very busy, and partly because I think I'm getting a bit bored with the endless mapping and editing.  I think I shall have to do something else for a day or two.  I can't understand how some people manage to map their whole game first and then come back and start doing other things.  I don't think I could cope with that approach.

20. Schlangan

Schlangan A madman with a computer Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @bgillisp : 66% of your NPCs... Is it a diabolical way to say something is going on or was it just 2/3rd of the NPCs :D. And if you don't know how to improve a cutscene, don't hesitate to ask us !

@Dreadshadow : Good if you're already at 1/6th of the whole project.

@Pierman Walter : Good luck ^^ I spent a lot of time for only 12 characters... in black and white.

@Palladinthug : I'm concerned about the K.O. state of your battler. Why would they fall like this :D

@Kes : In fact, as soon as you're done with 6 of the rocks, all rocks disappear, and a stone pillar becomes "activated". Hence you know for sure that you're done.

My update : 

I'm now done with the puzzles inside the temple. The first one is another rock puzzle, a bit more complicated than the previous one. And the second puzzle is a mix between the first and third outside the temple. The player will have to look carefully.

I've started the last room, where we finally fight some enemies :D  

Vox Novus, Dreadshadow and Marsigne like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.