January Goals & Progress Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mlogan, Jan 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Dreadshadow: Surprised you haven't posted an early project thread to get some feedback on it though.

@Palladinthug: Interesting. Hope the remaining ones go well.

@Kes: Some of it was because I found that as I proceeded, the story deviated a little from the plan and I had to keep going back and updating all the NPC's. Eventually I got tired of it so decided to wait until the story was final, then just do it all at once. As for the secret rooms, that was just poor planning. I hadn't decided to add them until late.

@Schlangan: Nope. Just another way of saying nearly 2/3 of the scene. And I did figure out the scene, fresh eyes looking at it in the morning helped a lot.

1.11 Update: A tad earlier today as this is one of the days I have to work while on the break schedule (though the work is online, so I'll still be popping in here some too throughout the day). I managed to fix the last character scene that was bothering me, and tested it. Also mapped an old farm area the party is supposed to go to for a side quest, but the mapping was as far as I got before it got too late to do much else. To be continued.

Dreadshadow and Marsigne like this.
  2. Dreadshadow

Dreadshadow Lv 38 Tech Magician Moderator

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

Who said I didn't got feedback? :p I am a sneaky one!

I didn't posted a thread though, because that would put the surprise at risk.

Marsigne likes this.
  3. Mimironi

Mimironi But what do I know? Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Heyooo, it's been a little while for me. I've been reading all the progress that everyone's been up to, though.

I mean, I've been working on my game, but at a slow pace.

• The end of the month goal is to... Well, I'm not sure yet. Something tells me I should work on the character's walk sprites.
    • At this point I'm just thinking of how I want the very first dungeon to be set up.

(Some stuff I worked on :)

Creia.png

Outfit/color idea. The 'tank' of the team. Her weapon is a huge shield, and occasionally her fists.

Changing again.png

An idea for the way that I'll have the message box/ portrait show up. I'll find a way to raise the text up.

Quxios, RetroBoy, waynee95 and 2 others like this.
  4. Dreadshadow

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Mirpono would you mind me giving you some feedback? If it's ok press spoiler! :)

Your artworks is VERY interesting. I mean the bust on the second picture.

Well, the coloring of the "tank" of the team seems a great concept, you just have to take a look at her eye position I suppose once again.  ;)

As for your text problem...

I think you should ask for a snippet that will override the show text, making you able to give certain coordinates for the first line or something.

Not sure if something like that exists, but it is possible and I think this will be the best solution to your issue.

As for the maps, well you need to use parallax mapping to make them prettier.

I mean such awesome scetches need a great polished map too, don't you think? :D

Of course you can make those maps afterwards I suppose. :)

You got a lot of potential there and can't wait to see what you got.

I really wish you good luck with your goals mate!

Marsigne likes this.
  5. Mimironi

Mimironi But what do I know? Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Dreadshadow Oh, thanks for the feedback!

Yeah, the eye should be lower on the first one, Ill make sure I get proportions/anatomy more correct in the final, in-game version (I should get back to coloring the rest of her soon).

I'll see if there's any scripts for overriding the show text, and guess I'll request one if there arent any available  :p .

About the map, no worries, I'm definitely making my own maps from scratch (well first, I've gotta figure out whether I'll make it isometric or sidescroller angled). That map's just a placeholder.

Marsigne and Dreadshadow like this.
  6. Dreadshadow

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Can't wait to see what you got in mind! :D

Mimironi and Marsigne like this.
  7. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    @Kes and anyone else who might be wondering about the setup of the damage formula

- f1,f2,f3 are different damage formulas set up in my script editor.. I have 3 types of "arts", the normal ones that you can use when you want and costs MP, and 2 stages of "Finishers". All normal "arts" use f1 damage formula, tier 1 finishers use f2, and the tier 2 finishers use f3. 

The basic format of those formula is that they take:

Base Damage -> base damage of art

User Param, multiplier -> param of user that affects the damage and its multiplier

Target param, multiplier -> param of target that affects the damage and its multiplier

Art level multiplier -> Determines how much the damage changes in correlation with the level of the art

Skill level multiplier -> Determines how much the damage changes in correlation with the level of the "skill" that the art belongs to

Basically the difference between f1,f2,f3 is that:

f1 -> Considers the level of the art you're using on the damage formula ("arts" have levels in my game)

f2 -> Doesn't consider the art level since finishers don't have levels

f3 -> f2 + I forgot the other things I changed

Due to this, f1 has the longest arguments list, f3 has the shortest

This way it's easier to test and balance out the damage done by the arts of each type since they follow the same formula. For example, for the  normal ones, it has 3 "tiers" so we can do like:

#Theoretical sample,  not the actual format of my damage formula

tier 1 art = f1(100)

teir 2  art = f1(120)

this way, I am sure that the tier 2 art will always deal more damage than the tier 1 art.

The "skill" on the screenshot is a "Finisher" and it has no MP cost because it's an automatically activated ability.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2017
    Dreadshadow, RogdagoR and Marsigne like this.
  8. AceOfAces_Mod

AceOfAces_Mod Engineering to infinity! Veteran

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Progress Report #5

Immortal Sins:

-Working on an story related event. This is basically a base defense mission.

Batrider:

-Worked on the animations for the shotgun.

-Changed the sounds for the assault rifle and pistols.

Misc:

-Experimenting with the web update mechanism using GitHub as the server. The idea is that it gets the version from the server and then download a zip file to patch the game (with the help of a "Update Core" executable. I can use the source code from the automated patcher to make the update logic (with some tweaking).

Dreadshadow and Marsigne like this.
  9. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Dreadshadow: Ok. Guess we'll just wait and see.

@Engr. Adiktuzmiko: I have something kinda similar in mine, though all skills use the same formula (except for the defense piercing ones), I just adjust them by a strength parameter that I change in the formula.

@AceOfAces_Mod: Two games at once? Good luck with that.

@Mirpono: If I see that right, I think that box will only hold three lines of text? Hopefully you can find a way to move it as needed, else it might get tight (or a lot of mashing space to advance the text).

1.12 Update: Spent today looking at another character event which was getting a little out of control (too long), ended up simplifying it, even if it meant deleting about an hour or two's worth of work. From there, I fixed some bugs in the quest journal in quest descriptions and/or directions for the main and side quests (since I think I last touched them in...2015? It's been a while. So needless to say it was really off in places). Then, I started mapping a marsh that the party can go explore, if they dare. Bwahahaha.

Picture below if interested.

[​IMG]

Still got to finish the NW corner of the marsh off, then it will be done. Will resume that tomorrow most likely.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2017
    Mimironi and Marsigne like this.
  10. Lihinel

Lihinel Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    RetroBoy, Dreadshadow and Marsigne like this.
  11. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Really behind here.  Haven't been reading this thread or doing much anything.  Just recovering and watching AGDQ.

Finally figured out why my doors looked so wrong.  It's a straightforward fix but it's going to take a lot of time to get it all, since I have to adjust both all my walls but also all my windows.  Yay!  That's what I worked on today, but I'm not done.  Edit: Aw man, my very clever pillars no longer work now.  Gotta redo those too, somehow.

Marsigne likes this.
  12. RetroBoy

RetroBoy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English

The font works, the bubble works, the name placement and black font does not. Maybe find a way of including the name into the box in someway, having it floating so high in the screen (in a mat black) makes it too easy to blend-in with the background.

I'd also consider adjusting the box size to accommodate the font -- as lots of blank space is a bit of a disservice to just how pretty and unique your hand drawn text boxes are.

Opening screen, the blinking. Nice touch. Soften the black on the closed-eye blink animation. Maybe a softer color or a more fleshy tone. The mat-black on the closed eye frame throws off the whole thing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Do the hands again, break them down, and draw them as shapes and pieces, then polish them. Don't try to draw the finished product. Also, that armor needs to be redone, you know you can do better. I shouldn't have to tell you. ;)

And I am not sure what technique you are using for coloring... but don't. You need slightly thinner lines in a couple of places on the maid (like her outfit's neckline) and her boob line needs to be a little more of a slant to match her bust. A bit more like /

Sophia's clothing looks good but the grey in the front is too thick.

Lunaris is pretty good besides what I pointed out.

Shango's armor needs to be completely redone. So does most of his body. The concept for the armor is good but the way you have illustrated it is too flat. Remember, draw everything as a shape, like in the example I showed you with the hand and then build on that, step by step. Not only will the final product look better and be easier for you to recreate later, but it will change the way you see the world.

Marsigne likes this.
  13. Lihinel

Lihinel Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    @RetroBoy: I appreciate the effort you put into that post, but to be honest:

No, I can not make it better, at least not by much and not now.

I never drew more than stick figures and (bad looking, ball shaped) apples before and kinda cheated by using Body Templates for the posture and proportions of those portraits. (I am not much of an artist, took drama/theater classes instead of art in school as soon as I got the option.)

If I get some more practice, I'll redo those portraits, but for now they will stay as they are, I already changed them several times after getting feedback. The originals were much worse.

This is how he looked like before.

Again, thanks for the effort put into that post, but I am a total beginner when it comes to drawing. (I used a mouse and PSP7 [which is like a 15-20 year old programm, its a miracle I even got it installed on Win8. XD])

Marsigne and RetroBoy like this.
  14. RetroBoy

RetroBoy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English

Drawing with a mouse is an absolute pain. I never converted over to digital. So now what boring little art I do (as a hobby) stays on paper. I'll upload a random photo of something I drew last week so you can rag on me (my proportions aren't great, haven't really practiced much in years). But as for the beginner thing, that is where we all start. People will try to tell you that drawing or art is a gift, but its not. Its a skill, and there is a lot of math involved. Having a ruler handy helps to keep track of proportions and whereas youre free to do whatever you like (its your project) you shouldn't give up on yourself, because (honest to god) after you learn how to draw using the method I explained to you, you will just wake up one day (probably in about a week and a half, two weeks) and your brain will have just clicked and taught you how to do it. Then you will improve.

At least, that has been my experience and I've taught 2-3 of my friends how to draw over the years and some of them were total hacks.

Anyway, here is a shitty drawing of a dude I drew last week. So you don't feel like I was just picking at your work. I was honestly trying to be helpful.

[​IMG][/img]

This is me redrawing an old comic cover I made when I was 12 with my modern ability. It could be better but its the most recent thing I've drawn. You may now roast me to make up for my dickheadery.

Marsigne likes this.
  15. Lihinel

Lihinel Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Oh, don't worry, I didn't see it as picking.

And I don't believe in talent either, it usually takes about 40-50 hours of training to be somewhat mediocre at something and around 4000-5000 hours to master a craft. Problem is, I don't really have that much time. Today I am stalking the forums because I am letting my unconcious think about various different features for my ballte system. So if I got a couple hours to spare I'd rather watch an anime or work on other aspects of my game.

Right now I try to shine with gameplay, not art.

I could even use unity or similar engines, the main reason I don't is because I don't want to start over from square one and because I am no good at creating my own assets, thats why I make use of the RPGmaker and its RTP.

The only reason for attempting to make the portraits of those Characters was to improve my Titlescreen, since I noticed that games with character art in their title seemed to attract more views on rmn.

16. RetroBoy

RetroBoy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English

Good observation to have had.

Whats RMN?

Marsigne likes this.
  17. Marsigne

Marsigne Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This site

Susan, Dreadshadow and RetroBoy like this.
  18. AceOfAces_Mod

AceOfAces_Mod Engineering to infinity! Veteran

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @bgillisp, the second game is worked on slower than Immortal Sins. I occasionally jump into it and work on the mechanics. It's a side project any way.

@Lihinel, honestly, his armor looks really weird. He almost looks like he'll walk like a penguin. The new armor design is better, but it still looks uncomfortable to wear. You might want to reference knight armors to see how they look and work.

A quick progress report, I made an animation for Gus' second drive art (currently known as Fireworks). Here's the animation shown in the editor:

RetroBoy and Marsigne like this.
  19. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @bgillisp Interesting tiles in your marsh.  The tree with the figure in it - is that PandaMaru's?

@Dreadshadow Keep the surprise secret, that's what I say.  At least you can be reasonably sure that it won't get 'leaked' in advance.

@Mirpono I'm going to have to disagree with Dreadshadow - I don't think it's necessary to use parallaxes in order to get interesting maps (though I'm biased on this, as I only ever use the editor).  I've seen some superb editor made maps Including sidescroller ones) and some deeply boring parallax maps.  There is nothing automatic about it.

@Engr. Adiktuzmiko Thanks for the explanation of the damage formula.  Sounds good.

@Lihinel Bar brawl minigame? I think I must have missed that one.

@Sharm Shame about the pillars, but you know you would have ended up hating your doors if you'd let them go as they were.  Hope it doesn't take too long to correct everything.

@AceOfAces_Mod I think it's good to make one's own skill animations.  A large percentage of mine are non-default, and I do think it helps a game to feel individualized not to the see the same old animations that we've lived with so long.

My update:

More mapping, but mostly tile editing and creating NPC sprites.  I've been using the GCH as a base and then editing like mad.  Children, as always, are the sticking point.  I've now got quite a wide selection of children, with lots of variations, but I don't want to just re-use the ones from the last game, so it's been a fair amount of work.

Zeriab and Marsigne like this.
  20. Lihinel

Lihinel Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    @Kes: It sounds fancier than it is.

Its really just a minigame in the spirit of Dance Dance Revolution or Guitar Hero, with punch sound sounds, visible sound effect sprites that are taken straight from the 1960s Batman series, an animated cartoon fight style dustcloud, and an added screenshake effect:

[​IMG]

Planing to upload a video of the second part of my intro tomorrow. (which will inclde this thing in action)

My game plan is best described by this almost one and a halve decade old comic.

If you don't believe me, look at the game project page. (link in my signature)

Though its not like I just randomly add stuff, by now I have scrapped about 4/5 of the ideas and/or prototypes I had and/or moved them to the design documents for other future projects.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.