Japanese engine missing text, instead displays words as ???

d_a_renoir

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm testing the Japanese RPG Maker XP, and for some reason some of the text are visible, and some text are showing as "???". I have Japanese fonts installed, I just don't set my locale to Japanese.
1660749483198.png

And here's one of the windows, showing that there are text that displays just fine, but a bunch of other texts are showing as ???

1660749564339.png
The Help section text are also displaying properly.

1660750157900.png

Not sure what is happening here? Should I set my PC locale to Japanese?

Last edited:

SGHarlekin

Orc Jester
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Probably needs a language pack for windows. Could be wrong.

d_a_renoir

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I have Japanese language installed. As you can see in the screenshots, not all the text are missing. I just don't understand why some text are visible and some aren't

AkiraKotatsuhime

炬燵姫
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
DE / ドイツ語
Primarily Uses
N/A
The only solution expectable to work is already part of your mainpost.

There are tools out there that try to fix such problems, but don't hope for anything good. This old technical clusterfart, like many other old and older programs, is never gonna run and display properly without swapping the core OS settings for locale, language and non-Unicode stuff to fit JP.

I understand how confusing it can be that some (or more like ~a bit of~) text is displaying (seemingly) correct, but the short answer to the how-and-why is: The entire API of Windows is a clusterfart itself.

~炬燵あ

d_a_renoir

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The only solution expectable to work is already part of your mainpost.

There are tools out there that try to fix such problems, but don't hope for anything good. This old technical clusterfart, like many other old and older programs, is never gonna run and display properly without swapping the core OS settings for locale, language and non-Unicode stuff to fit JP.

I understand how confusing it can be that some (or more like ~a bit of~) text is displaying (seemingly) correct, but the short answer to the how-and-why is: The entire API of Windows is a clusterfart itself.

~炬燵あ

Setting the PC language into Japanese you mean?
Okay, I guess I have to do that... I had thought it could work without doing that because not everything was in ???

AkiraKotatsuhime

炬燵姫
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
DE / ドイツ語
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yeh, that's what I mean.

Another example I know is that the JP RPG2003 (may also be important for RPGXP) isn't working normal if you forget to set the time and date display-formats of Windows to japanese, which for a human like you and me doesn't make any sense at all, but that's what happens when a big pile of mistakes in the operating-system's core-design are stacking up for decades.

~炬燵あ

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

ScreenShot_10_3_2022_4_27_17.png
welp, thanks to Luna MV, I was able to add the Balloon as a window... thus allowing me to edit the font color and outline... so now it looks like comic bubbles above characters. I have NO idea why I couldn't get this to work through more conventional means, but here we are.
CUTE CUTE CUTE.gif
I cannot cease doing cute art
War and Wonder is a 100% choice-based open-world visual novel.
1664821313732.png
1664821466359.png
1664821547746.png
Going live soon on Twitch, and will continue Fortunastreet's game "Verloren". For those who are curious, you are welcome to join ;)

-> Franz' Twitch channel
still cursed with having an issue then solving it myself as soon as someone else explains it to me/is trying to help.

sure hope nobody thinks im weird not responding to them after they're only trying to help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lyde_the_Warrior