Japanese schoolgirl gym uniforms

Froggo32

Wait, you can give yourself a custom title?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I wonder, do japanese schoolgirls really wear these short pants that looks like slightly more covering underwear? I saw some anime-like characters wearing these, either in manga or character sprites. I know they arent a source of legit information so I wanted to ask lol.

I think these pants are called buruma or something.

Soulrender

Jack Of All Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't know the names, but indeed yes, they wear such skirts, but not that short as you think.
Link #1
Link #2
Link #3
Link #4

For gym class also - it's true also - source

Last edited:

Froggo32

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I meant gym uniforms. White shirt, short pants.

Soulrender

Jack Of All Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Then yes. Japan is such... "Original" country ;)

Froggo32

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Japan is indeed...a sussy baka.
(I'm sorry)

Soulrender

Jack Of All Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
"Original" I meant weird but in good way, I love that country and when this virus crisis will be over I'm going there for holidays, to Okinawa, like Onizuka did :D

Froggo32

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Lolo I'd love to go to Japan one day, but only when there's festival or something.

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Apparently, they are the standard uniform for girls, or used to be. Nowadays more schools have started using unisex uniforms. Don't remember where I read this, though, lol.

I don't know what the fuss is about, since it kinda looks like a leotard to me. It looks good, so no complains here.

Froggo32

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Imo it looks weird, like underwear but slightly longer.

LordOfPotatos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
late reply but I couldn't let it slide.

buruma aren't the standard and have never been, they were popularized by american bolleyball players that wore them in tornament back in the day ("buruma" is katakana for "bloomers", which is what the americans called them).

schools didn't come up with them and some even banned them outright, some girls thought they were cute and started wearing them if the school allowed it.
that's what that's about.

they're omnipresent in anime for obvious reasons but much like skirt length and hair color in school anime differs a lot from reality.

triggered, I know.

ZombieKidzRule

JAVASCRIPT FOR KIDS by Nick Morgan - Awesome book!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
This is interesting because my family lived in Japan for 3 years, but that was many, many years ago. In fact, my oldest two children were born in Japan. I remember shopping off base in local stores and thinking how different the fashions were. It is a great place with a great culture. And the school children were super polite. At least back then. I assume they still are.

But the curious thing is that the Japanese were very keen on using American looking models for their advertising and catalogs. A lot of military dependents (spouses and children) became models while they were there.

And as in many Asian countries, probably many others as well, many clothes for children are more unisex in design.

Htlaets

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yeah, no, bloomers are not the standard japanese gym uniforms. The whole trope spawned because it used to be more commonly allowed and, well, target audience for the type of works that feature them, basically.

Froggo32

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
late reply but I couldn't let it slide.

buruma aren't the standard and have never been, they were popularized by american bolleyball players that wore them in tornament back in the day ("buruma" is katakana for "bloomers", which is what the americans called them).

schools didn't come up with them and some even banned them outright, some girls thought they were cute and started wearing them if the school allowed it.
that's what that's about.

they're omnipresent in anime for obvious reasons but much like skirt length and hair color in school anime differs a lot from reality.

triggered, I know.
lolo thanks
I actually suspected [oh no not another amogus meme] that these werent mandatory gym uniforms but honestly you can expect anything in Japan

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

So I finally played Persona 4 to see what it's all about. I'm like wait...what the...this is JOJO!
Map025.png

The second settlement you'll visit in my newest game. The small village of Teytal.
sketch 4 an opening cinematic in my gameeee >:]
Untitled_Artwork_16.jpg
oh god how do I add pictures on here it keeps saying i need a link <--( suddenly forgot how technology works )
avery wip.png

"i have to work in like 5 hours ... let's start the main character's face set"
--me, an adult for the past 20 years

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wazazawa