Javascript in rpgmaker mv?

Discussion in 'Javascript/Plugin Support' started by Cheah Hsun Teik, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Cheah Hsun Teik

Cheah Hsun Teik plugin fixer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I thought Javascript must be used inside html's script tag,but why  rpgmaker mv doesn't have a script tag or any tag in the source code?

2. Quxios

Quxios Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    They're in the index.html file. And plugins are script tags that get appended to the body.

Dreadshadow likes this.
  3. Dreadshadow

Dreadshadow Lv 38 Tech Magician Moderator

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Open RPG Maker MV, press F1, help window pops up inside your browser.

Documentation and JS Library is full of useful information too. ;)

4. Cheah Hsun Teik

First Language:
    English
     Thanks,dreadshadow and quxios for answering ,but I have another question.

I thought Javascript must run in a browser,but why rpgmaker mv does not run in a browser?

5. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    Actually, the file that runs the games made in RM MV is based on Chromium if I remember correctly.. So in a sense, they are ran inside a browser. 

Plus I bet they can even just make a full program that reads and executes JS codes if they wanted to do so though it's more time consuming...

If you're talking about the RM MV program itself and not the games made on it, it doesn't run on JS so it doesn't need to be on browser...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2016
  6. Cheah Hsun Teik

First Language:
    English
    So what programming language is rpgmaker mv

(the program itself)made of? 

Where can I find the source code for the rpgmaker program itself?

Dreadshadow likes this.
  7. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

First Language:
    Tagalog
    IDK.. why do you need to anyway? Most of the things needed to make and run the games if not all are made in JS, those are the only that you need to concern yourself with.

Editing the editor itself or reverse engineering it etc is forbidden  AFAIK so there is no source code lying around

8. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The editor itself cannot be altered without breaching the EULA terms.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko likes this.
  9. Cheah Hsun Teik

First Language:
    English
    What do you mean?can you

explain??

10. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You need the editor to make the game.  You do not need it to run the game.  Everything needed to run the game is available in the game projects' js folders.  THOSE you can edit.

11. Cheah Hsun Teik

First Language:
    English
    I don't want to breach the EULA terms,I am just curious and

wanting to read the code.

Edited 1:

Nevermind,I just read from adiktuzmiko that reversed engineering is forbidden.

12. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

First Language:
    Tagalog
    Basically what I meant was that you don't need to read the code for the engine itself to make and run games. Almost every code that runs the games made with MV are available on the js folder of the game (the only thing missing probably is the internal code of the game.exe that begins the execution of the JS files).

If you want to know how the games are ran, read those JS files.. Reading the editor code won't teach you about that because all it has is how every aspect of the editor runs probably. The only time that you'd want to read the editor code is if you want to edit the editor itself which you cannot do without breaching the EULA anyway.

13. Dreadshadow

Dreadshadow Lv 38 Tech Magician Moderator

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Listen, RPG Maker MV is probably written in a programming language that can produce compiled code, like C++ or something. I am not sure what language it is made of.

The program is compiled to an executable file, thus the code is NOT available and I assume it is proprietary code.

Now the program is using a set of JS prototypes to make a game. The interface is in binary but the Javascript code that THE PRODUCED GAMES WILL BE MADE OF, is available to you.

To sum up:

RPG Maker MV runs on Windows as an executable file and not as a JS file, because it is not written in JS.

This is the program with the specific interface (map editor, database, eventing system, plugin manager, etc etc)/

YOUR_PROJECT_FOLDER\JS\

The core of your produced games is the Javascript collection of prototypes and plugins you can find in:

As I stated above, proprietary code is closed source, not available to anyone but the developers, so you can not have access to it.

If with any means and for any reason you suddenly got access to such code, you severely break the E.U.L.A.

Imagine that you take Visual Studio and make a GUI in C#. That GUI will do complex stuff, involving combining Javascript prototypes, music pieces and pictures, to display a map editor, objects on it that will be called Events, in order to make a game. That is what RPG Maker is actually.  As a user it is hard to understand what I say, but it is like a program that is a development enviroment.

It is the same question like:

What programming language is Unity made of?

Better yet: What programming language is Eclipse made of? JAVA!

Eclipse might be written in Java but you can code C++ programs using Eclipse. Right?

Is that more clear now to you? :)

THAT is a good question. Meanwhile nobody is obligated to answer, because they don't have to, since it's proprietary code.

If someone replies it is nice to know, but to be honest, what difference does it make? :)

[​IMG]

Errr... YES?

Keep in mind one thing. Reverse engineering to access source code is almost ALWAYS illegal. :)

A legal reason to reverse engineer code, is if you lose your own work and start analyzing using a hex editor what were you doing, hopefully on a small project you own or have authority to access the source code whatsoever.