Jay's Dual Tech system

Discussion in 'JS Plugin Releases (RMMV)' started by HeroicJay, Oct 27, 2015.

1. TheAlphaRune

TheAlphaRune Fledgling Indie Developer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @HeroicJay  New version works like a charm.  You da man!

2. huynhminhyntd

huynhminhyntd Villager Member

First Language:
    VN
    Sorry, but this time, I don't see the dual skill (fire slash) in the list although I add it already

3. Aquawings

Aquawings Villager Member

First Language:
    Chinese(TW)
    Excuse me, I try to use this plugin, but I have some trouble...

I make this skill formula is "c.atk ...", but use this skill damage is 0, whyyyyy!?
    I try to use "d.atk..." , damage is 0 ,too.

And in game test, skill cost do not display, but used cost is normal.
    How do I do try to revise this skill or plugin?

*English is very poor, sorry

1-1.png

1-2.png

2016-09-25 00_09_41-Greenshot.png

4. HeroicJay

HeroicJay Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sorry, limited computer access this week.

It looks like you're using Skill Core. It also looks like you put the Dualtech plugin above Skill Core. No, no, it goes below. This plugin must go below all plugins that alter skill cost or skill cost display in any way.

I can't say that is definitely the issue, but it's the one that pops to mind right now.

BTW, when you say skill cost is "normal", do you mean it takes MP/TP/whatever from both characters, or just one?

5. Aquawings

First Language:
    Chinese(TW)
    Thanks for your answer.

I'm put this plugin below to the base, the plugin is all no problem!!

I'm sorry for you of the inconvenience...

I say "normal" is mean MP/TP is be consumption for use. Just no display how much the cost.

Thank you again!

6. Aquawings

First Language:
    Chinese(TW)
    I'm so sorry, Jay!! I just thought I got it...

You can see this video

And the F8 report is:

TypeError: Cannot read property 'skillItemCost' of null
        at Window_SkillList.drawSkillItemCost (/D:/Games/%E5%BE%A9%E7%94%9F%E4%B9%8B%E8%B7%AF/js/plugins/YEP_X_SkillCostItems.js:951)
        at Window_SkillList.drawTpCost (/D:/Games/%E5%BE%A9%E7%94%9F%E4%B9%8B%E8%B7%AF/js/plugins/YEP_X_SkillCostItems.js:945)
        at Window_SkillList.drawSkillCost (/D:/Games/%E5%BE%A9%E7%94%9F%E4%B9%8B%E8%B7%AF/js/plugins/YEP_SkillCore.js:1125)
        at Window_SkillList.drawNonDualSkillCost (/D:/Games/%E5%BE%A9%E7%94%9F%E4%B9%8B%E8%B7%AF/js/plugins/jay_dualtechs.js:299)
        at Window_SkillList.drawComponentSkillCost (/D:/Games/%E5%BE%A9%E7%94%9F%E4%B9%8B%E8%B7%AF/js/plugins/jay_dualtechs.js:317)
        at Window_SkillList.drawSkillCost (/D:/Games/%E5%BE%A9%E7%94%9F%E4%B9%8B%E8%B7%AF/js/plugins/jay_dualtechs.js:278)
        at Window_SkillList.drawItem (rpg_windows.js:2208)
        at Window_SkillList.Window_Selectable.drawAllItems (rpg_windows.js:1250)
        at Window_SkillList.refresh (rpg_windows.js:2234)
        at Window_SkillList.setStypeId (rpg_windows.js:2146)

It's all my know information, Thank you for your help and your plugin!

7. HeroicJay

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Huh, that's odd. In that video, you correctly open the menu through blondie and switch to hero, but when you open the menu through hero, it crashes. (I'm nicknaming the characters as I can't read Taiwanese.) That's very unusual.

Is the dualtech set up the same as in your post above? I don't see anything immediately wrong. I'm going to try putting Yanfly's Skill Core in my project to see if I can repro.

Can I assume that the settings in the dualtech plugin are Cycle actors: true, Cycle length: 60, and Always show user: true?

UPDATE: Huh. Repro. Okay, let's get to the bottom of this.

UPDATE 2: It has something to do with the "cyclephase" property of the skill window not being set. Probably has nothing to do with Yanfly. Turning off Cycle Actors will make it go away in the short term, but I'll hammer out a better solution.

UPDATE 3: Were all my problems so easily solved! Try version 1.1.2b.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2016
  8. Aquawings

First Language:
    Chinese(TW)
    I try to update the plugin and test game, It's not to crush!
    The Bug is delete right now, Thank you Jay!

If I found any bug I'll report for you.

9. KayZaman

KayZaman Brother-Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English & Malay
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Dude, thanks for the plugin! Here's the result! (YEP included)

Can I credit you?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2016
    HeroicJay and waynee95 like this.
  10. HeroicJay

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If you're using my plugin in a project you intend to release, I'd prefer credit, yes.

11. rpgmakerxp

rpgmakerxp Veteran Veteran

How do you make it so that if your intended partner already moved/used their turn it will "fail"? Or whenever the dual tech is used it basically takes away a turn from both used in the dual attack?

This is for regular turn-based not ATB.

12. HeroicJay

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

Currently, there's no functionality for that. I was working on it, but it wasn't going well and I put it on the backburner, and then... life happened. And my fix would have been for CTB first.

Even if the functionality existed, from a game design standpoint, DTB and turn-linked dualtechs don't really play nice together.

In the default battle system, making it "fail" if your partner already selected their action doesn't seem like a good way to do it. Disabling the skill would be better, but then you'd absolutely need to put the skill on both party members; if you put it on only one, and they were lower in the team order, the skill would be entirely unusable.

Similarly, making it fail if the partner already moved in the turn would just be frustrating to the player (especially if the slower character is the one trying to use it.)

13. rpgmakerxp

rpgmakerxp Veteran Veteran

Well I would explain it in a tutorial at the beginning of the game, so it doesn't "shock" the player. Just for them to be more strategic with their decisions. To me it's certainly better than repeating the dual tech move!

Finally, I understand about life keeping us all busy, and I'll keep an eye out for the added functionality in case you decide to add it in the future. Thanks for the quick response. Have a nice day!

14. jezebelthenun

jezebelthenun Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Don't know if this is still being kept up with, but I posted a thread and got no replies, so maybe I'll get one from here.  Anyway. . . 

I've mostly got the dual tech working itself. . . kinda. . . but the main issue I'm having is with the character icons not showing up by the skill.  In fact, the mp/tp cost shows up over top of the skill name with no character name at all.  What am I missing in order to correctly get the icons to display next to the skill.  Both actors know the necessary skills, as well.

icon set with faces.png

Icons numbers in notes.png

icons script.png

No Icons.png

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2017
  15. HeroicJay

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Try removing the space in <Icon:258>.

As for it overlapping the text, at that resolution and font size I'm sorry to say it will be unavoidable, unless you turn cycling on.

Yeah, I'm keeping tabs on this stuff. I just have been busy with things. Most of my RPG Making progress has been outside the realms of plugins lately.

16. jezebelthenun

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Removing the space didn't fix the issue, unfortunately.  I'm going to delete the whole thing and start over from scratch.  Hopefully it was an error somewhere on my part that is getting overlooked.  I mean, I can't imagine what else it could be.

17. HeroicJay

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    From where I'm sitting right now... I dunno. Maybe try a lowercase I on "icon"? Computers can be frustratingly literal at times.

Don't delete without backing up! And don't be discouraged; we still haven't figured out the issue. If you can't get it working, I can look at it later tonight, but I'm not in a place where I can do any more than random guessing right now.

If you want me to take a more direct look at it (later tonight, again), you could put the game files in a zip (do NOT deploy), remove unnecessary files, and send me a link to where I can download the zip in a private message.

EDIT: For the record, I checked, and yes, it's case-sensitive. "<icon:258>", not "<Icon:258>". Like I said, computers are infuriatingly literal sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2017
  18. jezebelthenun

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yep, that did the trick.  Ugh, it's always something so small that it doesn't occur to me at all.  Thanks, Jay.  

Unfortunately, even with cycle actors true, the costs and icons overlap the skill name.  Any suggestions for fixing it?

19. HeroicJay

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yes: Change the font to something other than the default. There's really no good reason to use a monospaced font in an English game (the reason it's the default: in Japanese, the language the system was originally made in, monospaced fonts are the rule, not the exception. But in English they're slightly ugly and take up too much space.) At the very least, it will help a little.

You could also try increasing the screen resolution. The default is kinda small, after all. Yanfly's Core engine can let you tweak that very easily, if you're using that, and I'm sure there are other mods for that too.

jezebelthenun likes this.
  20. jezebelthenun

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Okay!  Text issue is fixed, icon issue is fixed!

I have a couple of other issues that I'm trying to work out, so I may be back to ask more infantile questions about plugins and js in regards to dualtech.

Thanks again, Jay.  You're awesome to help people like this.