Jay's Dual Tech system

Discussion in 'JS Plugin Releases (RMMV)' started by HeroicJay, Oct 27, 2015.

1. HeroicJay

HeroicJay Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Don't be so hard on yourself. Everyone has to start somewhere, and the idea that the tag would be case-sensitive isn't entirely intuitive to everyone.

2. jezebelthenun

jezebelthenun Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @HeroicJay I really appreciate that.  

I'm still having an issue with one of my dual skills.  The physical skill I made is aces, working well and looking pretty good using Yanfly's Action Sequences.  The second dual skill I made is all magic, and it effects the party.  Using actors 4 and 3, actor 4 uses skill All Up to raise Atk, Def, and Eva (skill works fine as a standalone and does what it's supposed to do) then actor 3 uses Reflection Chorus to cast reflect on the party (also works fine by itself).  Synchro: Group Hug is set up with both skills, and both actors have learned their respective skill, but when I play test, the animation happens and no buffs are applied.  Is there something special I need to be doing differently when skills use magic rather than attacks?

3. HeroicJay

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Remember that the Dualtech is a skill in and of itself; the component skills are used for the setup, not the execution. Does the Dualtech itself apply the buffs?

For the record, while I used Fire Slash as my example, there's nothing preventing you from combining Fire and Power Slash into, I dunno, Mega Cure with Regen or something. It might not make much sense, but the plugin judges not. So it's up to you to determine what makes the most sense for the Dualtech, and how creative you wish to be.

If you just want to combine the buffs to save a turn, then that's perfectly fine, though.

4. jezebelthenun

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Even with the states being added via the dual skill, they don't show in game.  

Video:

group hug skill.png

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2017
  5. HeroicJay

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hm. Dunno. Can't say from here.

What does the entire Note box for the skill say? Did you remember the "ACTION EFFECT: target" part? And the suggestion to zip up the project remains relevant.

6. jezebelthenun

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    :cries:

Nope, I didn't remember it.  That was the problem.  UUUUUUGH.

My husband keeps asking me why I do this, because it doesn't seem like fun at all.  I'm like "IT IS FUN, I SWEAR!" as I pull my hair out.

Thanks again for all of your help.

HeroicJay likes this.
  7. deathsia

deathsia Pegisister Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Okay, so i've been banging my head against the wall when I've thought about it and I've come up with an idea that just might work...

Is there a code or dmg formula command that will allow me to reduce both actors atb bars to 0 when a skill is used? That way when I activate the skill with one character and use an action sequence to make both actors do their stuff(dmg,effects ect) both actor's atb gauges drop to zero and fill normally.

Or maybe you've patched it so it does this automatically which would be awesome but anyways, an example dmg formula using two actors would be nice since I have idea how to even come close to writing one effectively and don't want to bang my head against my keyboard "trying to understand what I did wrong" followed by coming here and asking you for help which I am doing now.

still using yanfly's atb btw

8. HeroicJay

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That's not what I'd consider intuitive ATB turn linking where dualtechs are involved, but it is easy. You're using Yanfly's action sequences? Add this:

ATB GAUGE: character X, 0

Replace X with the character ID. There, resetting the ATB gauge when using dualtechs.

What I would consider intuitive is delaying the move until both characters' ATB bars are full. This is, however, not easy, and with Yanfly discontinuing support for the alternate battle systems (though I'm still using CTB, and try to stop me) and life slowing my RPG Maker progress anyway, I haven't really put a lot of effort into it lately. I was having a big enough headache with turn linking in CTB.

9. TrailBlazer2016

TrailBlazer2016 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I tried multiple times get the plugin, even simply copying from Pastebin and it keeps getting kicked off because Windows Defender on Win10 sees it as malware. :(

Any ideas?

10. deathsia

deathsia Pegisister Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Your using windows defender as your Anti-Virus?

[​IMG]

That's your problem right there!

Get, mcafee, get Avast, Hell get that paranoid as hell Norton but DO NOT use windows defender and attempt to make any claim at all that ANYTHING is a virus.

11. TrailBlazer2016

TrailBlazer2016 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Seems there was a bit of a misunderstanding, here. I wasn't trying to claim that the plugin was a virus. I was just reporting on what kept happening when I tried to get the plugin. If I'd thought it was going to be this finicky, I'd have switched anti-virus programs a long time ago. So, yeah. Thanks for that.

12. HeroicJay

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It's not the first time someone reported that their anti-virus software was being too finicky with plugins on this board. I'll have to remember that Windows Defender is the culprit in the future.

13. Songsmith

Songsmith Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hey Jay. I'll start off by saying that I think your plugin is a beautiful thing, and I'm getting tons of use out of it. I have run into a problem recently though. I think maybe there is an incompatibility with your Dual Techs and Yanfly's SkillLearnSystem? At least, when I run both at the same time I'm having a problem.

I detailed it here - https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/inde...ays-dualtechs-and-yep-skilllearnsystem.75834/

Any ideas?

14. Studio Blue

Studio Blue Studio Blue Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Quick questions: What if the skill name is the same for both characters? Can you use the skill id instead? Also, how would this work with YanFly's CTB?

15. HeroicJay

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    In my main project, I use the plugin with Yanfly's skill learning system and CTB. I'm unaware of any issues with either. I'll look into Songsmith's issue, but I've never seen it.

As for the skill name being the same: if it's the same skill, it doesn't matter either way. If there are two separate skills with identical names, use Skill ID - it's a valid option and always works. (Er, so long as you're not confusingly naming skills as just integers that don't match their skill IDs. That, in addition to being really bizarre, would not work well with this plugin. But that's a very specific scenario, and really, who would do that?)

16. Studio Blue

Studio Blue Studio Blue Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I haven't a clue as to who would do that. Certainly not us! We just have a powerful summon that requires two people to execute, and it sounds like your plugin will solve that problem. We'll let you know if we encounter any bugs, but otherwise, thank you so much for creating this plugin!

17. Chibi54

Chibi54 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    How do I space out the icons like you did in your screenshot?

18. HeroicJay

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It's supposed to be automatic. But any plugins that modify the appearance of skill cost and are set up incorrectly can interfere (Yanfly's relevant plugins should be set up correctly, but you still need to put them above the Dualtech plugin.)

Why, what are you seeing?

19. Dope

Dope Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Works fine for me, exactly what I needed. that said, have you figured out a way to make it so that all actors involved in a skill have that action count? That's an exploit that I'd like to keep my players from having. Especially since my dual/triple techs do a lot of damage and can be doubled if certain states are active.

20. firestalker

firestalker Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Is there a way to make it so that you can use next level skills in a dual tech? Say you have a character that has power slash and another that has Fire I, this creates a Fire Slash. Now said character gets Fire II and you want to make it so that Fire II is used instead for more Fire Damage... Is this possible?

I think this would be more useful in conjunction with Equip Battle Skills and Plugins like it.