Jay's Dual Tech system

Discussion in 'JS Plugin Releases (RMMV)' started by HeroicJay, Oct 27, 2015.

1. HeroicJay

HeroicJay Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It isn't really built that way, but there's nothing stopping you from making a Fire Slash II skill.

If Fire II replaces Fire I (as in, Fire I drops off the menu when Fire II is learned), you could even hide it effortlessly: when you don't have one of the component skills for the dualtech, the dualtech does not appear at all.

2. HintonR

HintonR Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello.

I was wondering if there are more than 2 dual attack participants, how do I write an according damage formula?

a = initiator b = target c = first d = second (as per example) but will e, f, g, etc be considered for subsequent participants?

3. HeroicJay

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yes, up to L (well, l, but I didn't want to confuse that with capital i).

HintonR likes this.
  4. Senshu

Senshu Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I seem to be having a few issues with the plugin. First off the required party members and their skill costs don't display for the Dual Tech.
    secondly is error displayed in the screenie.

Info:
    Dual Tech:
    Damage formula: ((c.mat+d.mat)*(1.01+(a.level/100))*(1.01+(v[60]/1000)
    Note Tag: <Dual:1,26,2,51>
    TP cost: 25 (Is this allowed?)

Skill 26:
    MP cost = 7 + 5%

Skill 51:
    MP cost = 7 + 5%

Actor 1:
    <icon:252>

Actor 2:
    <icon:252>

Attached Files:

5. SuperMasterSword

SuperMasterSword That Guy You Dont Know Veteran

First Language:
    Javascript
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Senshu You didn't close all the parenthesis in your damage formula, also you may be using a version of MV that's incompatible with Dual techs, because I think it should at least be telling you that it's an issue with the damage formula. And that looks like an error related to the nw.js upgrade. Are you using 1.6?

6. Senshu

Senshu Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Unfortunately, yes, I am using 1.6 >:

Ok, I fixed the parenthesis issue and that actually fixed the lack of resource cost and the icons, and the error doesn't come up. The skill does 0 damage now, but i'm sure that just means there's an issue in my formula somewhere.

Also, bonus question, for anyone who does a lot of action sequences. I'm trying to get these specific actors to use a casting animation for it, but using "Actor" seems to refer to party member instead of the actors in the database, how do I refer to specific actors?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  7. HeroicJay

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    "character X", not "actor".

1.6 seems to be having issues for a lot of people. They created a 1.5.2; maybe try that?

You asked "is this allowed?" for the 25 MP casting cost. The answer is: yes. Technically. But any costs associated with the dual tech itself will be ignored in most cases. (There are special cases that use it. You can define a dualtech as a prerequisite for itself, or you could teach it to an actor not defined in the "dual" tag. It will be used in those cases.)

8. Navy Goku

Navy Goku Villager Member

First Language:
    Español
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I got a little problem with this plugin. The first time i use it, was working. But when i create the news skills, is not working anymore. I cannot acces to the skill menu or selec the skill in battle. When i tried, i get this.
    TypeError: Cannot read property 'id' of undefined

9. HeroicJay

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    There could be something wrong with your formatting, or it could be a plugin incompatibility issue if you've installed new ones. Can you copy/paste or screenshot exactly what you put in the Note box of your skills?

10. Navy Goku

First Language:
    Español
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sorry, my game is in spanish

Notebox: <Dual:2,Corte Latigo,6,Corte de Viento>

Formula: 500 + c.atk * 5 + d.mat * 5 - b.mdf * 0.2

11. HeroicJay

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Nothing looks unusual there, assuming you do, in fact, have at least six actors and skills with those names. Have you installed any new plugins lately? Have you tried disabling some of them?

EDIT: I was able to reproduce the error simply by putting nonsense in for the name of one of the parent skills. So double-check the spelling of your skills, perhaps?

I just updated to version 1.1.2c, which will give a better error if the name of the skill is wrong. Try that. If it still doesn't work, let me know.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  12. Navy Goku

First Language:
    Español
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks!, now its working.
    I put the wrong skill in the dual tech skill XD

13. HeroicJay

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You alwyas have too be carefull of thosr tpyos. ;)

14. The storm master

The storm master Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    First I want to say I love your plugin it adds so many new possibilities to battles. But at some point during my project, I went back to playtest the maps and I have it so you learn a duel skill in battle and I have it set to cycle actors which it does in battle. However, when I try to open in the menu I keep getting the message saying Cannot read property 'skillTpCost' of null" If you can please help me I really don't want to bail on using this.

Attached Files:

15. HeroicJay

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm juggling a few different things right now, but I'll look into it.

Just so I know: do you have any other plugins that might be altering or using TP cost in any way? EDIT: Never mind, it's happening to me too. I'll get this sorted out.

EDIT 2: Easy fix. Not sure how it crept in there in the first place; I'd guess a seemingly-meaningless change in Yanfly or the base code. I don't use CycleActors in my main project, so I didn't notice.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  16. The storm master

First Language:
    English
    Wow, you are quick and very on top of things. But yeah Yanfly is the only that even touches tp but that's because I'm running the core and skill core plugins

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  17. HeroicJay

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It's the change everyone thought would never happen. It is time... for turns to be linked!

It only works under Yanfly's technically-not-supported-any-more CTB and might have some bugs. But yeah, I finally got around to getting it working. (It's actually the default battle system where the logistics will be the hardest to sort out; I'd just had trouble making it work under CTB and ATB in the past.)

To try it out, download version 2.0 - NOT version 1.1.2. I have both up on the front page. Then add "linked" as the first parameter of any dualtech.

Enjoy!

18. The storm master

First Language:
    English
    THANK YOU SO MUCH YOU ARE A BLESSING!

19. WickedWolfy

WickedWolfy Touch Fluffy Tail! Veteran

First Language:
    En, De, Ru
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you for your hard work on the plugin.
    I've spent two hours bashing my head into the table trying to figure out why my chain skills were no working...
    But it might be that it does work properly.

I am trying to check if the actors would "cast their skills together", like Disgaea battle actions.
    But regardless, thank you for your hard work.

P.S. Could you list some of those "better at setting player icons" plugins? Google did noo provide anything useful. I might not be searching correct terms.

20. HeroicJay

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The way turn linking works - and keep in mind, it only works in version 2.0, with Yanfly's CTB, and if the first parameter of the Dual tag is "linked" - is the same as how it works in Final Fantasy IV: The After Years (ignore that that game was ATB, not CTB, for a second): the user of the dualtech goes on "standby" when the move is used, as does every actor involved until all of them are on standby. Then the skill is activated.

I'm unaware of the existence of any other icon plugins besides my own (which is a very Jay's Journey-specific plugin, not designed for general use.) It's more that I'm saying that such plugins can exist.